Try to stay healthy on the cruise

Widebay

Make sure that your immune system is at the top of its game several months before your cruise. A friend of mine befriended an 85 year old couple who started working out with a trainer a year before their cruise. Wipe everything down in your cabin as soon as you arrive with a product that contains alcohol. Wash your hands like you are getting paid. I use zinc tablets that melt in my mouth each day. Moving away from those infected is a good idea, but elevators are quite another issue. Use the stairs if possible, but watch the railings. Have meds on hand in case you need them...remember, the older you get the less effective your immune system is to fight the virus and flu. Furthermore, get plenty of sleep if you can, and watch the alcohol. This doesn't sound like much fun, but it does help those that have somewhat compromised immune systems.

Edited by Lastdance

^ No I was on the Solstice a couple of weeks before you, seems like there were some viruses running around Hawaii and they came home with both of us :) Sorry I meant to say it was bacterial bronchitis, not viral, hence the antibiotics. It was a viral cold or flu that set it all off though :( I spent the whole 18 nights with some sort of sickness, I managed to avoid the worst of the cold symptoms with cold and flu tablets whilst in Hawaii, but day 2 of the cruise and bang! Bronchitis kicked in. Spent the next couple of days bed ridden with fever, one day I got up for the bathroom and that was it, slept the rest of the time. Then just had the hacking cough that wouldn't quit. Anti B's got that a bit better but then I developed secondary cough caused by the irritation of my throat from the infection :rolleyes: nearly 2 months after returning and I still have a bit of it :(

Thank god for travel insurance though, we spent about $600 at the ship drs between me and DH!

Thanks for clarifying that...I was wondering why you had taken antibiotics for a viral sickness.

As to all the other posts, there are lots of good hints for avoiding getting sick; washing hands, doing things to boost your immune system etc. All good ideas for any one anywhere. So is staying away from close contact with large groups of people whether they be on a cruise ship, on a plane, in a local shopping mall or in a senior citizen's residence.

I feel your pain. I never get sick but picked up the worst head cold and sore throat on the same cruise. I tried to be careful as there were a lot of sick people on the cruise. I know exactly when I got it too, from being in a confined space during the watch/jewellery set sale. So many people coughing and spluttering and we were cramped in like sardines. I love my watch sets though!