Xpedition Galapagos Timing

Mysteryreader

We were tentatively planning on this cruise for May 2006, but now that is not going to work. Sept and Oct are also out.

For those who have taken this cruise, could I please get opinions on the advisability (or lack thereof) of July, Aug, or Nov? Thanks.

M/R

I hope you're right, Barry, because we've just booked the same week you have for 2006. I love to travel between Thanksgiving and Christmas anyway -- seems like there are fewer people moving around. I know that the babies are all born in September, so we should see a lot of young flopping around. It's also the dry season, isn't it?

I hope you'll be back after your cruise to fill us all in:)

Amy

We just returned from the July 3rd sailing! It was incredible. The weather was perfect for me because I don't do well in the heat. Some days were overcast but my husband managed to take in excess of 1500 photos (not including the ones he deleted). A lot of the birds were nexting and we were able to see this. The waved albatros were pecking their beeks together and the blue footed boobies were doing their mating dance! It was incredible. This was not my first choice of vacations but my husband really wanted to go. I have to say I am really glad I went!!!!!!!!!!!! The only draw back to the entire cruise was the position of our cabin. We were across from the captain's cabin who smoked like a fiend. I have asthma and this isn't a good combination.

I don't really think there is a bad time to visit the Galapagos. We picked April because the seas are warmer and calmer than June -November. (We love to swim and snorkel) Its greener but rains more. However, no waved albatros at that time. I am not sure if Celebrity discounts during certain times of the years.

Katy--what was your cabin number? I hate the smell of cigarette smoke!

Hi M/R,

We went at the end of November, right after Thanksgiving. We saw many baby sea lions. One of the highlights was seeing an albatross chick. The weather was great - not too hot during the day and almost no rain. Hope that helps!

M/R - The land portion is for 2 nights before and 1 after, both at the Marriott in Quito. Most flights arrive in Quito in the evening. You'd sleep and wake up for a full day of sightseeing. After the next night you're taken to the airport and fly to the ship. At the end of the trip you fly into Quito, back to the Marriott and are taken for a little more sightseeing and dinner. Everything is included...all trips and food. I'm sure Celebrity's website outlines the entire trip. I, personally, haven't heard from anyone who just did the 7 day cruise. I guess you could, but everyone does the full package.

MysteryReader - we booked 405. The only thing I knew about cabin location, etc., was to not book the cabins in the front of the ship. One review said that the folks up there swore that the anchor went right through their cabins, and another person said they never dropped anchor when they were sleeping, so YMMV. Incidentally, my TA had a long talk with the folks at the Xpeditions desk, and they told him that they would not be offering the "cruise only" option going forward (not sure from what date "going forward" starts) because of the logistical nightmare of people trying to get themselves to Baltra. They were also not getting many takers on the 11 day package, so their plan is to only offer the 10 day package with an air add on option to Quito from wherever. Oddly, the prices on Celebrity's website are for "cruise only" and it's hard to find a cost on there for the whole 10 day package - at least it was a week ago when I first started researching it. The brochure explained the 10 day package, but the itineraries and prices section was cruise only. Go figure.

Hope you join us, maybe we can even get a roll call going!

Amy

We were in cabin 509 directly across from the captain. I complained many times but nothing was done about the problem. All they had to do was close his door! I'll be talking to Celebrity about this problem. That was the only drawback of the entire week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE we're there the end of November... it was great! The Galapagos is on the equator... the temperature stays pretty constant (70-80*F) all year round... the only difference is in the rainy or dry season...

Hi XFED,

We are leaving Wednesday for the July 24th sailing. Most of the info on the Galapagos threads was written by people on winter cruises. Do we need to bring anything different for a summer sailing? Is there anything different that we need to know? We are looking forward to a cooler temperature and are very excited about the trip.

I just wanted to point out again that the Galapagos Islands are on the equator, so the temperature is really pretty constant all year round... for those of you thinking it's cooler in June and July - it's not... the average temperature in November is 73* & it is 75* in July. The warmest months are March and April where it can average 83*. The only real difference is in the rainfall. You can check the temeperature and average rainfall at www.galapagosislands.com

Katy - you're right about the 11th day. Celebrity should have been offering an excursion to the Otavalo markets or something like that.

Does anyone know if the windows in the cabins on Deck 4 open for fresh air? The Captain's smoking got me thinking about that - would be nice to open up if you had a stinky cabin, whether it be from smoke, smelly prior occupants, or the thing that really gets my sinuses going - cleaning chemicals and strong fragrances.

Katy - you're right about the 11th day. Celebrity should have been offering an excursion to the Otavalo markets or something like that.

Does anyone know if the windows in the cabins on Deck 4 open for fresh air? The Captain's smoking got me thinking about that - would be nice to open up if you had a stinky cabin, whether it be from smoke, smelly prior occupants, or the thing that really gets my sinuses going - cleaning chemicals and strong fragrances.

Windows don't open ...I was in 402...a great location in the center of yacht, minimal anchor noise,close to lounge ,bar ,and stairway to retaurant and upper decks.Smell and noise wer not an issue at all,except for those on deck 5 near the smoking Captain and there it was a big problem as Katy traveler pointed out.

Drfun - I was looking at the deck plan, and noticed that 401 and 402 appear to be slightly larger than the others on that deck. I know that deck plans are generally inaccurate in this regard, but do you know if that's in fact the case?

Drfun - I was looking at the deck plan, and noticed that 401 and 402 appear to be slightly larger than the others on that deck. I know that deck plans are generally inaccurate in this regard, but do you know if that's in fact the case?

I thought so too,that's why I booked it,but I didn't see anyone else's cabin. If it was however it wouldn't be much,but the other reasons I mentioned make either a good get. Also, I spent less time in my room on this cruise than any other. With the small size and proximity of public areas,you just don't.

I also must add that there is much more social interection amoung like minded cruisers on this cruise than any other i have ever been on .Usually we keep to our family and have a few casual mettings with others. This is like Camp. With 74 people on board ,you get to know everyone ,particularly because you excursion together also. We met many wonderful people and made many new friends...It was fantastic.

Amy and Sandy--We had the "getting serious" talk with our TA yesterday. We've definitely decided on the 12/3/06 date so there's a good chance we'll be joining you.

Are there any bks or websites you can recommend to get more info in making our decision? Other questions or considerations? Any advice at all?

M/R

M/R - Here are some links that helped us:

http://www.galapagosadventures.com/page25.html

http://xpeditionreviews.com/v-web/gallery/Celebrity-Xpedition-photos?page=1

http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=9#66

I had many others but have since deleted them. That will be great if you join us.

MysteryReader - Yay! Have you actually booked it yet? Let us know when you do, and we'll start a little roll call. Sandy - are you on our '06 cruise, or are you going the first week of Dec. '05?

Must be wonderful if DrFun is going back again so soon.

Amy

Archived