Queen's Staircase Question

sue328

Yes , we walked to the Queens Staircase when we were there in 2012. We walked to the Straw Market and all the shops. We also went to the Pirates' Museum and the Balcony House, the island's oldest wooden structure.We toured Fort Fincastle for $1 per person. Although the Fort is not in the best of shape, it was interesting to see. You can get a view of the whole island from the top of the water tower, but it was closed when we were there. We found a peaceful little park area to rest. It had banyan trees, 4 of which were carved into ladies. A 12 foot statue of Christopher Columbus stands in front of the government building. Christ Cathedral Church is also an interesting gothic building. of course Señor Frogs is near, too. We walked to all these places. You can get a walking tour map off of the internet. I have since read that some consider Nassau a dangerous place to walk; however, we never felt unsafe.

Sorry, I did not see that part of the question. It was carved by slaves out of coral-based sandstone at the end of the 18th century. It has 65 steps and a century later it was named to honor the 65 year reign of Queen Victoria. it is said to be the most visited attraction in Nassau. Originally it was built to provide British soldiers a protected route to fort Fincastle. There is a pretty man made waterfall next to the staircase. There were vendors at the bottom of the staircase. It is something I would want to see only once for the historical significance. I guess I expected it to be more impressive than it was, but I am glad we went. There were drivers in vans that were taking people to the same places we walked to.

I have been to the Queen's staircase a few times. It's an easy walk from the port. Once you get to the top you are at Fort Fincastle. There are many vendors selling T shirts and jewelry at bottom and top. Here is a picture looking down the staircase.

P1050196.jpg

is there a map that shows you how to walk there and the straw market - is it far??? from the port where the epic docks.

Frommers has Historic Nassau walking tour found at:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html#

This is a map for the Frommers Walking tour

http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...nassauwalk.jpg

It is probably a mile and a half walk to the staircase and Fort Fincastle. Straw market is maybe a 1/4 mile.

There is a good view from the Fort. If you can see Senor Frogs from the ship the Straw Market is just before it on the left.