Anyone heard of the Sun being retired?

C Cruise Dude

How many would like to retire the Sun?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How many would like to retire the Sun?

• Retire Her!
    • Keep Her!

I have sailed the Sun before and can say with ease that it is my least favorite ship of all sailed. Sadly, NCL uses it for their long cruises (10 days or more) which I do favor. I know that there folks who are in love with this ship (I couldn't image why but to each their own) but I think that it's time for a replacement. The Sky would be great. Your thoughts!

Like everything in life, favorites ships are very subjective, but the Sun is the most popular or one of the most popular NCL ships with repeaters all the time. I can't imagine why you would prefer the Sky over the Sun? If for no other reason, the size of the cabins and the wonderful crew. As for retiring the ship: cruise lines do not retire ships when they are only 12 years old. Most ships will sail 20 or more years.

Glad to hear that. I prefer the Peal, my fav of all ships so far. Actually, I booked on the Sun in October of next year and am consider a 11 day in March of next year (LOL, If I can get around my dislike of the ship). Maybe you can help me, is there a place to sit on the deck other than around the pool. When I was on the last time, we sat on the deck beside the pool.

I do agree, the pool area leaves a little to be desired, but you can always wander behind the buffet and sit out or go up to the next deck. I can't imagine this being a reason for not liking a ship, but seeing your favorite line is Carnival, maybe you like the glitz and glamour more that some others.

Gotta keep the Sun! I am another of the Sun Lovers and while we will give the Epic a try, I really like the smaller ships!

What he/she said. We did a B2B on the Sun this past May, and when we got home we immediately booked another B2B for 2014 on the Sun. We're on the Epic this month, but don't expect it to become our favorite--just a change of pace.

What he/she said. We did a B2B on the Sun this past May, and when we got home we immediately booked another B2B for 2014 on the Sun. We're on the Epic this month, but don't expect it to become our favorite--just a change of pace.

You will have to let us know how you like the Epic. We are booked for the Sun in February and just booked a last minute for January on the Epic. I will be interested in your experience!

Jai

I have sailed the Sun before and can say with ease that it is my least favorite ship of all sailed. Sadly, NCL uses it for their long cruises (10 days or more) which I do favor. I know that there folks who are in love with this ship (I couldn't image why but to each their own) but I think that it's time for a replacement. The Sky would be great. Your thoughts!

The title of your post is misleading in relation to the actual content.

No, I have not heard of it being retired...

Just got off 11 days on the Sun. Thought the ship was in great shape and the crew was constantly cleaning, re-painting, re-varnishing, etc. to keep her looking sharp! She has a strange layout but once you get used to it, is very easy to navigate. Crew was (for the most part) great! Would certainly sail on her again!

I would like to see her retired... We took it last year not at all impressed...

could you fill us in on why you were not impressed and what ships do impress you? I am not asking to start a debate or defend the Sun, I am just curios. When I see a blank, nothing response I have to wonder what it is based on. I will add, she doesn't have the bells and whistles many like in a ship, that could be something you didn't like. On the other hand, she is in great shape, the cabins are large and the crew is wonderful. Of course she doesn't have Blue Lagoon, but she does have Las Ranbles and she is the only ship I know of, that does. The other complaint I see, from time to time is the buffet is not designed very well. this has never bothered me cause I am not a huge buffet person, but I can see why some might feel that way.

The Norwegian Sky was the worst ship still in NCL's fleet that I sailed on. The Norwegian Dream was another quirky one but has since left the fleet. The Sky was showing her age everywhere. Her cabins needed serious updating and her public spaces were worn. I know she's since been dry docked and updated but the Sky is the least impressive in the fleet. The Sky was up for sale for a while and then Genting Hong Kong finally sold her to NCL out right. I was hoping they'd find another buyer for her.

The title of your post is misleading in relation to the actual content.

No, I have not heard of it being retired...

It was wishful thinking. :)

I would like to see her retired... We took it last year not at all impressed...

Thanks for the support MikeandAmy.

Nita:

When I first boarded the Sun, I turned the corner to enter the elevator and my first impression was, “OMG, it looks like a closet.” It was the smallest elevator that I have seen on any ship and it was downhill from there. While walking outside, I noticed that the railing was in bad repair, giving the impression that it was a very old ship (this was in 2011).

My buddy and I ate in the buffet for dinner one night and it was the worst variety and quality that I have ever had. The food in the buffet at breakfast and lunch was great. The only reason that I could imagine was that they wanted people to use the MDR’s. The crew, as on all ships was great except for one dining room crew member. He visibly did not want to be there and as he was walking towards my table with my ice cream, he sneezed over it (didn’t cover his mouth). I just walked out of the MDR and filed a complaint on one of the cards provided at Guest Services. Other interiors of the ship was fine, lounges, bars, theater, etc.

I wonder how many people who love the ship have balconies. If I had my own balcony, maybe I would book the cruise that I’m looking at but at $3500+ it will never happen. This said, after my first 7 day on the ship, I had already booked my first balcony for that Fall (on the Sun). I returned and canceled it.

I don't have a problem with smaller ships (this is not about mega ships), I just think that NCL, Carnival and Royal need to build newer small ships that are more up to date. Thanks for the replies.

Jack

It was wishful thinking. :)

Thanks for the support MikeandAmy.

Nita:

When I first boarded the Sun, I turned the corner to enter the elevator and my first impression was, “OMG, it looks like a closet.” It was the smallest elevator that I have seen on any ship and it was downhill from there. While walking outside, I noticed that the railing was in bad repair, giving the impression that it was a very old ship (this was in 2011).

My buddy and I ate in the buffet for dinner one night and it was the worst variety and quality that I have ever had. The food in the buffet at breakfast and lunch was great. The only reason that I could imagine was that they wanted people to use the MDR’s. The crew, as on all ships was great except for one dining room crew member. He visibly did not want to be there and as he was walking towards my table with my ice cream, he sneezed over it (didn’t cover his mouth). I just walked out of the MDR and filed a complaint on one of the cards provided at Guest Services. Other interiors of the ship was fine, lounges, bars, theater, etc.

I wonder how many people who love the ship have balconies. If I had my own balcony, maybe I would book the cruise that I’m looking at but at $3500+ it will never happen. This said, after my first 7 day on the ship, I had already booked my first balcony for that Fall (on the Sun). I returned and canceled it.

I don't have a problem with smaller ships (this is not about mega ships), I just think that NCL, Carnival and Royal need to build newer small ships that are more up to date. Thanks for the replies.

Jack

I will be checking out some of what you experienced. We just haven't seen any of what you did except maybe the elevators, but I don't I have ever paid much attention to the size of any elevator. As for the buffet, I know many don't like the arrangement, me included, yet I have always be satisfied with the selection. That being said, I don't eat dinner at buffets wo maybe I would have felt different if it was dinner. To me a buffet, is someplace to go and have a quick bite to eat and still find something for everyone. Breakfast and buffets go together, lunch and buffets maybe go together, dinner and buffets do not.

As for the $3,500 how many people are cruising with you? We have an aft balcony, on our upcoming 11 day cruise and we paid closer to $2,500 including a $100 OBC. I certainly would agree, $3500 plus is a lot for a balcony on any cruise. At least it is out of our price range.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I will be checking out some of what you experienced. We just haven't seen any of what you did except maybe the elevators, but I don't I have ever paid much attention to the size of any elevator. As for the buffet, I know many don't like the arrangement, me included, yet I have always be satisfied with the selection. That being said, I don't eat dinner at buffets wo maybe I would have felt different if it was dinner. To me a buffet, is someplace to go and have a quick bite to eat and still find something for everyone. Breakfast and buffets go together, lunch and buffets maybe go together, dinner and buffets do not.

As for the $3,500 how many people are cruising with you? We have an aft balcony, on our upcoming 11 day cruise and we paid closer to $2,500 including a $100 OBC. I certainly would agree, $3500 plus is a lot for a balcony on any cruise. At least it is out of our price range.

The lowest balcony is $2758 which is still too rich for my wallet. The other dilemma is that I'm booked on Independence of the Seas (flowRider) for 8 days. Do I give up those amenities for 3 more days. By the way the price dropped again so I can get the Sun for about the price of Indy but I also have an ocean view on Indy I would have an inside on the Sun. Sun, maybe in the future.

For those not familiar, this is IOS.

I had voted to keep her.

I haven't sailed on her yet, but would love to one day.

Besides, I'd like NCL to keep all the smaller ships she has since the newest ships in the fleet are larger. I haven't sailed on the new, larger ships yet, and may find I love them once I do, but no matter - variety is a great thing to have, in my humble opinion, as it keeps everybody happy. Those that like the smaller ships can have some to sail on :cool:, those that like larger ships can have some to sail on :cool:, those that like to mix it up sailing both sizes can have their pick of everything :cool:.

I had voted to keep her.

I haven't sailed on her yet, but would love to one day.

Besides, I'd like NCL to keep all the smaller ships she has since the newest ships in the fleet are larger. I haven't sailed on the new, larger ships yet, and may find I love them once I do, but no matter - variety is a great thing to have, in my humble opinion, as it keeps everybody happy. Those that like the smaller ships can have some to sail on :cool:, those that like larger ships can have some to sail on :cool:, those that like to mix it up sailing both sizes can have their pick of everything :cool:.

That is just way to sensible a reply. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Don't care which one is retired, just so a new ship is put on the Alaska itinerary. Haven't had a new ship there since the Pearl in 2007.

Since all the ships being built are coming from Germany that's never going to happen unless the Panama Canal gets their bigger locks into operation. For the next few years I'd say you're going to get the Jewel-class ships up there. I doubt NCL will ever send a new ship to South America to round the Horn to get one up there either. Everything is pointing to Asia as being their next biggest move. (Genting Hong Kong is over there with their training bases there.)