Mazatlan...still security probs???

WINEMANVISALIA

We have been to every port on the Mexican Riviera with the exception of Huatulco. The problem isn't with the ports or the cruise lines. The media in the US has done such a thorough job of disparaging Mexico that cruise lines cannot fill the ships. When somebody calls and asks if the ship is stopping in Mazatlan and then refuses to book, it is not the cruise lines fault or the fault of the Mexicans. It is good old fashioned paranoia, which in this case is unwarranted. Tourism has suffered immensely due to bad press. We will be the first to book when they start offering 10 day cruises that do more than visit Cabo and turn circles in the ocean. We go to Mexico often and have never felt safer. There are more police in Mexico looking out for the safety of tourist than you will ever find in the US. In Alaska and Hawaii you are just another tourist. In Mexico you are the economy and they want you back. It's a nice feeling to be welcome.

We have been to every port on the Mexican Riviera with the exception of Huatulco. The problem isn't with the ports or the cruise lines. The media in the US has done such a thorough job of disparaging Mexico that cruise lines cannot fill the ships. When somebody calls and asks if the ship is stopping in Mazatlan and then refuses to book, it is not the cruise lines fault or the fault of the Mexicans. It is good old fashioned paranoia, which in this case is unwarranted. Tourism has suffered immensely due to bad press. We will be the first to book when they start offering 10 day cruises that do more than visit Cabo and turn circles in the ocean. We go to Mexico often and have never felt safer. There are more police in Mexico looking out for the safety of tourist than you will ever find in the US. In Alaska and Hawaii you are just another tourist. In Mexico you are the economy and they want you back. It's a nice feeling to be welcome.

Exactly correct!

You are so right :) As for the even the bad guys .....The Cartels.....they have invested heavily in hotels, resorts, tourist area all over the world and they even want the tourists to feel safe.

You are so right :) As for the even the bad guys .....The Cartels.....they have invested heavily in hotels, resorts, tourist area all over the world and they even want the tourists to feel safe.

LOL - what an incredible endorsement; thank you for that insight. Tourists are safer now because the drug cartels have invested in the resort industry. I hope no one actually takes you serious and listens to you.

LOL - what an incredible endorsement; thank you for that insight. Tourists are safer now because the drug cartels have invested in the resort industry. I hope no one actually takes you serious and listens to you.

I take Quincy's post seriously !!!!

Some knowledge of the economic side of money laundering and cash flow can open lots of eyes !

Of course, some choose to believe the press, and others choose to accept reality.

Let me rephrase the finer point. My family and I love to cruise to Mexico. We love to cruise, period. It helps that I speak spanish and spent time in my younger days living in the Mexican countryside. Due to this fact, we are more relaxed than most when touring Mexico. The bad press that has descended on Mexico in the last ten years is disheartening. When we visit friends on the other side of the border, we are dismayed to see the lack of American visitors. That said, we have had the opportunity to cruise to different areas lately. While the Caribbean and Alaska are beautiful, we miss the genuine warmth of the Mexican people and we hate feeling like we are intruding on the local population. I'm just begging the media to find somebody else to blame for the world's troubles and the cruise lines to come back to Mexico.

Let me rephrase the finer point. My family and I love to cruise to Mexico. We love to cruise, period. It helps that I speak spanish and spent time in my younger days living in the Mexican countryside. Due to this fact, we are more relaxed than most when touring Mexico. The bad press that has descended on Mexico in the last ten years is disheartening. When we visit friends on the other side of the border, we are dismayed to see the lack of American visitors. That said, we have had the opportunity to cruise to different areas lately. While the Caribbean and Alaska are beautiful, we miss the genuine warmth of the Mexican people and we hate feeling like we are intruding on the local population. I'm just begging the media to find somebody else to blame for the world's troubles and the cruise lines to come back to Mexico.

I agree with this almost entirely. The natural beauty, friendly people and great food of Mexico offer tourists a memorable travel experience and a very good value at the same time. With the exception of Acapulco, I personally would have no qualms to return to any of the traditional West Coast port cities.

While tourism only makes up roughly 9 % of the Mexican GDP, it was definitely important enough for the new presidential administration to put the effort into finding stability and elevating safety for citizens and tourists alike. They found a way to do this.

I truly believe that for the average cruise ship passenger and family, it is about as safe as anywhere else - and perhaps even more so. Good judgment with alcohol consumption, avoiding anything to do with narcotics, understanding your surroundings and making good common sense decisions should keep just about everyone out of harms way.

We just got back home after spending 18 days in Mazatlan (8th year in a row), and we did not feel unsafe even once. We rode on the bus, in taxis and pulmonia's. Spent time (4 nights) in a hotel on the malecon in centro, walked to dinner every night and never worried about safety. Of course, we are aware of our surroundings just as we do here in Houston.

IMHO, the media is the root cause of the lack of tourism in Mazatlan - not the drug cartel.

I sincerely hope lots of cruise ships start adding Mazatlan to their itinerary. God only knows the kind and loving people of that great city deserve it!

IMHO, the media is the root cause of the lack of tourism in Mazatlan

Quite the contrary, the vast majority of crime in Mexico is under-reported. While particularly heinous crimes generally make the news, and especially crimes that involve tourists - most crimes not only don't make the news, but they usually aren't even reported to the police.

Quite the contrary, the vast majority of crime in Mexico is under-reported. While particularly heinous crimes generally make the news, and especially crimes that involve tourists - most crimes not only don't make the news, but they usually aren't even reported to the police.

How does this compare with the USA ?

Much of the crime in Mexico is among those who operate outside the law, and they choose NOT to report their activities to the press or law enforcement. (Same as USA)

The USA press made a concentrated effort to destroy the tourism from USA to Mexico in both the Bush administration and the Obama administration.

The drug cartels do not mess with tourists because they don't want the publicity that results.

How does this compare with the USA ?

Much of the crime in Mexico is among those who operate outside the law, and they choose NOT to report their activities to the press or law enforcement. (Same as USA)

The USA press made a concentrated effort to destroy the tourism from USA to Mexico in both the Bush administration and the Obama administration.

The drug cartels do not mess with tourists because they don't want the publicity that results.

I so agree with you. We are having our yearly long winterstay in Vallarta, with us thousands and thousands of others (canadians, americans etc.) are here. All enjoying their time (many also for months) without any problems. Driving their cars, taking buses, do shopping and many also travel beyond vallarta.

We have been a.o. in Mazatlan last year, travelled to Mexico City, Copper Canyon and many other regions, we never had any problem.

Indeed - like in our home country The Netherlands - most problems are (that is worldwide not just Mexico) for those connected in one way or the other with drugs, not for tourists.