First time cruiser with questions about the Star to Alaska

JokerJack

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. My family and I are planning to take a cruise on NCL’s Norwegian Star to Alaska in late May 2006 (2 adults, 3 teenagers and a toddler.) None of us have ever been on a cruise before, so we’re really looking forward to this trip. I wanted to be more certain of what to expect on a cruise, so I bounced around on the Internet, and took me to this forum. It’s been interesting to read some of the posts (lurking??), because it has given me some insights. However, I am still wondering about a few things…

Who to tip – I think that NCL charges $10 per person, but who does that tip go to? Should we tip the porters at the terminals, on the ship, at the restaurants? And also, is there a rule on how much to tip?

Do purchases aboard ship have to be billed to the credit card that the room is under, or will the ship take cash, traveler’s checks, or credit cards?

We’re looking at booking an inside stateroom and a stateroom with a balcony. About how large are these rooms? I heard that there might only be one electrical outlet in these rooms. Is this true? Will I need a power converter and a power strip?

Is there laundry service onboard? If so, how much is it? If not, how have some of you gotten by besides packing a lot of clothes? Is it wise to bring a shoe organizer?

I heard that sodas and liquor aboard ship is expensive. Can we bring our own?

I also heard that the food onboard the Star is pretty bad. Is this true? How busy are the restaurants during traditional meal hours? How much time should we allow for dining aboard?

Are there extra charges for drinking at the Juice Bar, Java Café, or eating ice cream at Sprinkles?

Whew…I think that’s enough questions for now. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't answer your questions about the Star, as we will not be sailing her until July 2006. However, we have cruised before and you definately want to tip the porters at the terminal.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. My family and I are planning to take a cruise on NCL’s Norwegian Star to Alaska in late May 2006 (2 adults, 3 teenagers and a toddler.) None of us have ever been on a cruise before, so we’re really looking forward to this trip. I wanted to be more certain of what to expect on a cruise, so I bounced around on the Internet, and took me to this forum. It’s been interesting to read some of the posts (lurking??), because it has given me some insights. However, I am still wondering about a few things…

Who to tip – I think that NCL charges $10 per person, but who does that tip go to? Should we tip the porters at the terminals, on the ship, at the restaurants? And also, is there a rule on how much to tip?

Do purchases aboard ship have to be billed to the credit card that the room is under, or will the ship take cash, traveler’s checks, or credit cards?

We’re looking at booking an inside stateroom and a stateroom with a balcony. About how large are these rooms? I heard that there might only be one electrical outlet in these rooms. Is this true? Will I need a power converter and a power strip?

Is there laundry service onboard? If so, how much is it? If not, how have some of you gotten by besides packing a lot of clothes? Is it wise to bring a shoe organizer?

I also heard that the food onboard the Star is pretty bad. Is this true? How busy are the restaurants during traditional meal hours? How much time should we allow for dining aboard?

Are there extra charges for drinking at the Juice Bar, Java Café, or eating ice cream at Sprinkles?

Whew…I think that’s enough questions for now. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, welcome! I think I can help on several of your questions as we have been on the Star twice and will be sailing again on July 31.

We tip the porters outside and staff members on the ship who go the extra for us. There was a thread recently on tipping extra in the Specialty restaurants, we always have. Search on "tipping".

The ship will take cash, credit cards, travelers checks etc. which is credited to your on-board account. Any purchases then go against your on-board account.

For room size, go to ncl.com click on fleet, then the Star and keep driving down until you find the deck plans. Click on the deck number and then on room number to find more information about the room. I believe there they will tell you room size. If not there, it is somewhere on their site. We have never brought a power strip, although many do and you do not need a converter.

There is laundry service. I have only used it once for pressing a pair of pants. I think it was $6 or $7. They have a special towards the end of the cruise of filling a bag with dirty clothes for a set price. Never have needed this service and we pack well but not overpack and traditionally our trips between land pre-cruise and then cruise is a minimum of 10 days. We have never brought a shoe organizer.

You cannot bring your own liquor on-board. We don't think it is all that over-priced and is quite typical to any land based resort vacation. We bring our own pop on-board (sometimes) although we have always purchased the soda package for the kids.

We love the food on the Star. Recently there was a long thread about it but if we thought it was bad, we would not be going back for a third time. The main dining rooms are great. The Specialty Restaurants are VERY good. Yes, there are peak dining times but it has never been a problem for our group which is 4 adults and two kids.

There is a charge for coffee at the Java Cafe but not for ice cream.

Hope that helps and also go to my link below for pictures on rooms.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingfrommn

Welcome Jack. I will be on the Star for the second time begining on Sunday. (once in Hawaii and now Alaska). The Star, in my opinion, is the best ship in the fleet. The Star is the sister ship of the Dawn (almost exact same layout), so things you read about the Dawn will be similar.

Cruising from NM answered most of your questions, let me just clarify one: the bars, lounges, specialty restuarants, gift shop, etc. Do not take cash. You can settle your account with cash or travelers checks instead of your credit card, but on board everything is billed to your on board account. Your ship card that is issued to you and each member of your party when you board is your room key, disembarkation/embarkation card (for getting on and off in ports) and your "money" while on board.

The other thing that I hope you are aware of is that NCL is Freestyle Cruising instead of traditional like on the other lines. You don't have to dress up for dinner in fancy clothes. (there is one optional formal night on board, but you will find only about 50% of the people dress up) You can wear polo shirts, pant suits, kahkis, sundresses to dinner. (just no shorts, cutoffs or blue jeans for dinner). You also don't have a set dinner time and set table mates like on the other cruise lines. The dining rooms are open certain hours (5-9:30) and you just walk up like a restaurant and tell the Maitre'd how many of you there are. You can ask to sit with others or you can dine alone. There are five restaurants on the Star which are free and the rest have a cover charge of about $15 per person. The free ones are Versailles and Aqua, the main "traditional" cruise restaurants, LaTrotatoria - Italian Crusine, Endless Summer - Tex Mex; and Blue Lagoon which is like a soda shop or diner. (very informal). There is also the buffet that is open for all meals. There are no dress codes at all in the BLue Lagoon or Buffet.

Hope this helps to better explain freestyle.

WOW! Did you guys make a GREAT decision on a first cruise .... Alaska AND the STAR are the best!!

CruisingfromMN and KeystoneCruiser are "right on" in what they told you. Some additional info:

We took a power strip and found it came in handy ... just depends on how much stuff you need electricity for:)

The shoe organizer. I got a couple from Target and cut them down to take on the STAR last Fall because it sounded like such a great idea! We stayed in a BA stateroom and found we could not use them. (the way the bathroom and closet doors were configured made it impossible) BUT, also found there was plenty of storage in bathroom and bedroom (closet, etc.) so didn't need them anyway. The bathrooms on the Star Class ships are fabulous!!!

BTW: if you are a wine drinker ... My son knows oodles about wines. I downloaded the wine list from the NCL web site before we went last Fall and had him tell me which ones were my best bets. He was incredibly impressed with the offerings and the prices! He's never cruised before and I think the thought of cruising set a little better with him after seeing the wine list;)

We've never had any prob with taking our own sodas on board. Although, this last trip, DH bought the soda card and made a contest out of making sure he came out ahead!! But, you can bring your own to start with, and then when you are in port buy another 12-pack or so.

We thought the food on the STAR was excellent! We tended to prefer Aqua over Versailles for main dining rooms. Also, LOVED the specialty restaurants .. which, IMHO, were well worth the extra cover charge! Don't forget about the Blue Lagoon ... many people just walk right by this little gem of an eatery!!!!

Have a blast with your planning ... that's so much fun!

~Dianne

Welcome Jack. I will be on the Star for the second time begining on Sunday. (once in Hawaii and now Alaska). The Star, in my opinion, is the best ship in the fleet. The Star is the sister ship of the Dawn (almost exact same layout), so things you read about the Dawn will be similar.

Cruising from NM answered most of your questions, let me just clarify one: the bars, lounges, specialty restuarants, gift shop, etc. Do not take cash. You can settle your account with cash or travelers checks instead of your credit card, but on board everything is billed to your on board account. Your ship card that is issued to you and each member of your party when you board is your room key, disembarkation/embarkation card (for getting on and off in ports) and your "money" while on board.

The other thing that I hope you are aware of is that NCL is Freestyle Cruising instead of traditional like on the other lines. You don't have to dress up for dinner in fancy clothes. (there is one optional formal night on board, but you will find only about 50% of the people dress up) You can wear polo shirts, pant suits, kahkis, sundresses to dinner. (just no shorts, cutoffs or blue jeans for dinner). You also don't have a set dinner time and set table mates like on the other cruise lines. The dining rooms are open certain hours (5-9:30) and you just walk up like a restaurant and tell the Maitre'd how many of you there are. You can ask to sit with others or you can dine alone. There are five restaurants on the Star which are free and the rest have a cover charge of about $15 per person. The free ones are Versailles and Aqua, the main "traditional" cruise restaurants, LaTrotatoria - Italian Crusine, Endless Summer - Tex Mex; and Blue Lagoon which is like a soda shop or diner. (very informal). There is also the buffet that is open for all meals. There are no dress codes at all in the BLue Lagoon or Buffet.

I should have made the cash part a bit more clear. Cash can be applied to your on-board account, which we have done several times. Cash can be used for extra tips too. Thanks for making the clarification for me.

With that many going, you'll probably want two adjoining cabins with a 3rd person occupancy. The three teenagers, the two adults and todler. It seems most of the adjoining cabins are at least oceanview/balcony, however, you could make do with two neighboring inside cabins.

Its quicker to eat at the buffet, but its like anyother buffet, the food is nothing special. The food is much better at the two main restaurants, and the Blue Lagoon has some great fish & chips. I always plan for at least an hour, possibly up to an hour and a half to eat dinner in the main restaurants. There are so many courses, and I like to eat.....

The room sizes are frankly, small, especially the rest rooms. But there is enough room to sleep, watch tv, write at the desk, take a shower, and/or sit by a small table. There is enough closet space, but don't bring more than one large/medium sized suitcase for person, or you'll wonder where to place them.

I usually pack light. I'm happy with three changes of boxers, polo shirts, and kacki slacks. Add a swimsuit, and a light coat, maybe one pair of shorts, and I'm packed. Since jeans are a no no in the main restaurants, why bother with them. And since the formal night is optional, I choose not to go formal, saving valuable suitcase space. I also bring only one pair of comfortable shoes to hike or walk in. You'll be amazed how much you'll be walking, as the ship is long from bow to stern. Even if my wife insists, I'd rather rent a tux than pack my suit. Usually in the middle of the cruise there will be a special on the laundry service, but you don't have to wait for it as the prices are reasonable. I don't work out a lot when I am on a cruise, therefore, I attempt to get two separate days out of my clothes. Its amazing what a little air freshener spray can do....

The teenagers will probably want to bring their CD players and video games, I would suggest bringing extra batteries. I only use the plug outlet to recharge my camera's batteries. There is a hair dryer provided in the rest room, and a tv in the room, why bring a power strip? You can drink all the coffee you want at breakfast in the restaurants or at the buffet, there is no need to bring a coffee maker.

You can't bring booze onboard, security will confisicate the booze, but you can bring sodas. The room attendants do bring ice into the room, there is an ice bucket. I always buy the soda package, especially for the kids. Its somewhat expensive, but they'll and I'll make the cruise line loose money on the deal. I'm not a heavy beer drinker, I usually drink one or two a day. I buy the helmet, get a free beer with it, and ask the room attendant to keep the beer helmet full of ice too...with a wink and an extra dollar tip, every day....

You will love the Star. Sailed on her May of this year. The food in the dining rooms was GREAT. I don't know where some of these people are that said that the food was horrible. I had been on the boards for 3 months before our cruise and everything was negative. I sometimes wondered if I should be going on that ship. I had left the negative things about the ship behind me and concentrated on the good. Best cruise I have been on. Happy sailing.

One thing is that in the bathroom, they have a shower with a sliding door oposed to the "saran wrap" shower curtain. A lot of light and very nice.

Hi Everyone,

First, welcome to the boards. There is a lot to learn and there are many CC regulars who will do their best to answer your questions. I sailed on the Star this past March on the Mexican Riviera itinerary. She's a beautiful ship and I think you'll have a great cruise. Alaska's a great destination. I've cruised there twice (once on Princess and once on NCL's Sky).

The $10 pp/pd tip covers your room steward and wait staff throughout the ship (main dining rooms, specialty restaurants, buffet). It does not cover bar tabs, where a 15% gratuity will be automatically added to your bill, which you will sign and have charged to your room's onboard account, to be settled at the end of the cruise. Tipping the wait staff in a surcharge restaurant is entirely up to you (not expected but certainly appreciated). You'll have to decide whether the service rendered is "above and beyond". Room service deliverers can be tipped also, at your discretion. Yes, the porters at the pier are typically tipped $1-2 per checked bag.

Most people register a credit card at embarkation. All of your onboard expenses are charged to your room's account. At the end of the cruise, you can do nothing and have the account charged to that credit card. Or you can opt to go to the purser and pay it off in cash or traveler's checks.

The size of a typical BD cabin (oceanview/balcony) is 166 sq ft. A typical inside cabin is 142 sq ft. If memory serves, you're right about there being only one outlet available. Many CCers have indicated that they have taken power strips on their cruise. I don't believe a power converter is necessary.

No self-service laundromats on the Star. The ship does provide laundry service for a charge. I didn't use it, so I can't quote you any prices. I've never had a problem packing enough clothes for a weeklong cruise. You have to force yourself to pack less. Most of the time, you'll end up not wearing half of what you pack. Since NCL's Freestyle dress policy allows for "resort casual" dress all the time, you can opt to leave all your formal clothes at home. That saves a lot of room right there. Many cruisers take along a shoe organizer, although I feel the Star's cabins have plenty of storage space.

Depends on what you consider expensive. It's certainly not any more expensive than a typical vacation venue, probably less so. A can of soda goes for $1.80 or so (including the 15% gratuity). Also, if you're a big soda drinker, you should consider buying the soda card ($35 for a weeklong cruise for an adult; $16 for age 12 and under), which gives you unlimited fountain soda for the entire cruise (no cans). I'm not a big drinker, so I'll let others fill you in on beer/liquor prices.

Yes, you can bring bottled water and soda onboard without any problem.

I can only tell you MY experience: the food on the Star was consistently good to excellent in the main dining rooms. Only once was I disappointed in an entree and it was immediately replaced by a delicious steak once my waiter noticed that I wasn't happy with my first order. The food in the buffet was okay.

The main dining rooms serve dinner between 5:30 and 10 (you just need to be seated by 10). They do get busy during peak dining time (7, 7:30). I myself never waited more than a few minutes to be seated but I usually ate a little earlier or a little later (or both).

A sit-down meal usually takes 1-1/2 hours but if you're on a schedule, just tell your waiter and he will do his best to accommodate you. If you're having a more leisurely dinner (e.g., in one of the surcharge restaurants), I would allow 2 hours.

I believe the Juice Bar does charge. The Java Cafe definitely charges for specialty coffees. Ice cream at Sprinkles is free. Also, they usually serve hard ice cream in the buffet during the afternoons.

Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask away. Someone should be able to help.

Everyone has been very helpful to you here. I love this board for all the little tips we get from others.

We too have sailed on the Star and LOVE the ship! Everything about it. Yes the standard rooms are small but we've never felt crowded - even with 3 in the cabin. There is room under one of the beds for luggage. (Under both beds if there isn't a trundle under one of them.)

I have to put in a big plug for the Blue Lagoon. Their Olde English style fish and chips are wonderful. The burgers are very good too. They have the same menu all the time and are open 24 hours - perfect. If you want a nice little snack at night, go there and help yourself to the pound cake and coffee.

Also, the Endless Summer. You have to make reservations but it's not a cover charge restaurant. They have Tex Mex style food and it's great, plus we had excellent service there. I have to say the service in all restaurants had excellent service but the people we had in the Endless Summer were above and beyond.

In the Java Cafe you can get free cookies. Many people don't know about this, or find out only at the end of the cruise.

Enjoy!!!

Hikini:D

help yourself to the pound cake and coffee.

Also, the Endless Summer. You have to make reservations but it's not a cover charge restaurant. They have Tex Mex style food and it's great, plus we had excellent service there. I have to say the service in all restaurants had excellent service but the people we had in the Endless Summer were above and beyond.

In the Java Cafe you can get free cookies. Many people don't know about this, or find out only at the end of the cruise.

Enjoy!!!

Hikini:D

RE: pound cake in Blue Lagoon..... YEEEEESSSSSSS! Yuuuummmmm:D

RE: cookies at Java ..... Yuuuuuummmmmm (shhhhhhhh....;))

~D

.........and don't forget the Chocoholic Buffet!!!

Wow!! Thanks for all the input, answers, and responses from everyone!! I've come to understand that planning a first cruise takes quite a bit of work, and am also finding out that it's a lot different from trips that we've taken...

What's a Chocoholic Buffet?

BTW: if you are a wine drinker ... My son knows oodles about wines. I downloaded the wine list from the NCL web site before we went last Fall and had him tell me which ones were my best bets. He was incredibly impressed with the offerings and the prices! He's never cruised before and I think the thought of cruising set a little better with him after seeing the wine list;)

My wife and I love wine, though we have different tastes. She loves the light whites while I love the robust reds. Last year we spent a week in Napa Valley, and this year in the Santa Ynez region, doing the "Sideways" tour :D

What's a Chocoholic Buffet?

On all of NCL's ships, they hold a Chocoholic Buffet in one of the main dining rooms. Depending on the ship, it might be held in the middle of the afternoon or after dinner. They serve dozens of desserts made with or from chocolate (cakes, puddings, mousse, tortes, chocolate-dipped fruit, ice cream, cookies, fudge, etc.). It's a very popular event. It's a sight to behold (many people actually take photographs of the displays before the eating begins). But all that said, not everybody agrees that the desserts are all that tasty-licious. I myself have always found a number of items that I've liked/loved. Hmmm...just thinking about the chocolate cheesecake makes me drool....

Chocoholic Buffet is held one night during your cruise at about 11:30 p.m.. They take the Versailles Dining Room and set up all these ice sculptures and chocolate designs and there are TON of chocolate items to eat. You go through like a buffet and fill your plate with chocolate....mmmmmm

Whew!! I'm glad to hear that the food is not as bad as I heard or thought ;)

We all know that food is SO subjective, but I still find it hard to believe when I read that somebody considers a certain ship's food bad. I realize that the word "bad" means different things to different people, and much of the time it depends on what they're comparing it to. But still...when I read bad, I think close to inedible. In 12 cruises, I have never been served food that was close to inedible. Mediocre, yes. Not what I expected, sure. But even when those rare instances occur, there is almost always a back-up plan. Every cruise ship dinner menu offers multiple selections and if something doesn't suit you (for whatever reason), you should never hesitate to order something to replace it. On most ships, there's also an "Always Available" menu, which usually includes a grilled chicken or a steak of some sort. Lastly, if you don't see it on the menu, you can still ask if it's available. For instance, several CCers have reported that they are shrimp cocktail lovers. Not seeing it on the menu, they asked their waiter whether they could still get it. Lo and behold, the waiter accommodated them.

Bottom line: try not to worry about the food. It's YOUR tastebuds that matter, not somebody else's opinion. Just know that the staff will do their best to please (within reason).

Thank you for the explanation about Freestyle Cruising...The explanation on NCL's site about this kind of left me scratching my head after reading about having to schedule meals and follow dress codes on cruise ships.

I just realized something. In May, isn't the sun almost always up in Alaska? Did that bother any one of you that has been on an Alaskan cruise? If so, how did you deal with it?

We all know that food is SO subjective, but I still find it hard to believe when I read that somebody considers a certain ship's food bad. I realize that the word "bad" means different things to different people, and much of the time it depends on what they're comparing it to. But still...when I read bad, I think close to inedible. In 12 cruises, I have never been served food that was close to inedible. Mediocre, yes. Not what I expected, sure. But even when those rare instances occur, there is almost always a back-up plan. Every cruise ship dinner menu offers multiple selections and if something doesn't suit you (for whatever reason), you should never hesitate to order something to replace it. On most ships, there's also an "Always Available" menu, which usually includes a grilled chicken or a steak of some sort. Lastly, if you don't see it on the menu, you can still ask if it's available. For instance, several CCers have reported that they are shrimp cocktail lovers. Not seeing it on the menu, they asked their waiter whether they could still get it. Lo and behold, the waiter accommodated them.

Bottom line: try not to worry about the food. It's YOUR tastebuds that matter, not somebody else's opinion. Just know that the staff will do their best to please (within reason).

Doesn't it get crowded if everyone is packed into one dining room?

Doesn't it get crowded if everyone is packed into one dining room?

On the Star, there are two main dining rooms (Versailles and Aqua). Versailles is quite large, Aqua much smaller. Since the dining rooms are open for an extended period (vs. 2 fixed seating times on a traditional cruise), people end up eating at different times, so it gets spread out between 5:30 and 10. There IS a peak time, somewhere around 7 or 7:30 when it does get more crowded. That's when it's most likely that you'll run into a line to be seated.

Also, there are numerous, alternative dining venues, which spreads out the cruiser population.

Here's a rundown:

Included, no reservations necessary

Versailles main dining room

Aqua main dining room

Market Cafe (buffet)

Blue Lagoon (24/7 diner)

The Grill (on-deck grilled favorites)

Red Lion Pub (snacks)

Ice cream parlor

Late night snacks (casino)

Room service (24/7)

Included, reservations required

La Trattoria (Italian)

Endless Summer (Tex-Mex)

Surcharge, reservations required

Le Bistro (French)

Cagney's Steakhouse

Ginza (Asian Fusion / Sushi)

Teppanyaki (Benihana-like)

Soho Room (Pacific Rim)

My recommendations? From soup to nuts, Le Bistro is probably the best alternative restaurant (great filet mignon, mushroom soup, chocolate fondue). Cagney's Steakhouse offers excellent steaks. And I loved the entrees in Teppanyaki (along with the entertaining food preparation show) but I found the side dishes just okay. I thought the Soho Room was good but not any better than the main dining rooms.

More questions...We're thinking about doing the whale watching tour in Juneau, the Yukon White Pass excursion in Skagway, and the lighthouse excursion in Ketchikan. Are there other excursions that anyone would highly recommend? The wife and I are more into sightseeing, but the kids might be more excited about shopping...

Archived