Nachi Cocom or Cozumel Bar Hop?? Can't decide?

Poppet1964

We're cruising on the NCL Dawn in February and will be in port with 22,000 other cruisers that day! I'm feeling pressured to solidify my plans. I've already cancelled with a private tour company, now I can't decide between Nachi and the Cozumel Bar Hop? We're doing an AI Beach Resort (Almaplena) in Costa Maya and it sounds like you can get some beach time during the Bar Hop too.

I'm not a big drinker, but always enjoy meeting people and would like to see more of the scenery. At the same time, I'm always up for a day at the beach when I can.

Would love to hear about personal experience with either place or if you've done both? I can't make up my mind!

You are asking about two very different experieinces.

We've been to Nachi several times and love the place for it's small size (limited to 100 guests), uncrowded seating near the beach, lots of shade, pool, hot tub, and all-around great food/drinks/service. It is a very relaxing day for swimming, drinking, reading, etc. away from the cruise ship crowds.

I'm sure others who have done the Bar Hop can help you with their first hand experiences and help you to make a decision.

We went to Nachi Cocom a couple years ago. There was only like 30 people there that day. Even though it was overcast it was a great day. Nice pool and hot tub. I never had to get out of the water to get a drink. The beach was nice and quiet. They did convince my husband to go out fishing with him and my son, plus they got to stop and snorkel. I believe the guy charged him like $100 to do that. Me and the baby stayed and hung out at the club. the food was pretty good.

We're cruising on the NCL Dawn in February and will be in port with 22,000 other cruisers that day! I'm feeling pressured to solidify my plans. I've already cancelled with a private tour company, now I can't decide between Nachi and the Cozumel Bar Hop? We're doing an AI Beach Resort (Almaplena) in Costa Maya and it sounds like you can get some beach time during the Bar Hop too.

I'm not a big drinker, but always enjoy meeting people and would like to see more of the scenery. At the same time, I'm always up for a day at the beach when I can.

Would love to hear about personal experience with either place or if you've done both? I can't make up my mind!

I can only comment on Nachi.. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing day..Nachi is your place. There were seriously only a few people there when we went in May. My kids had the pool to themselves. We had good service & a nice beach for the day.. It just depends on what you are looking for out of your day.. Enjoy!!

I can only comment on our Bar Hop experience ...

The organization, staff and transportation are top notch. The beach bars are GORGEOUS and it was really nice to see that side of the island.

That said, the Bar Hope didn't live up to MY expectations ...

1) I prefer to spend the whole day in the port, getting the most out of my time. The hop didn't start until noon, and our ship got to port at 9am. So I felt like I had wasted the morning. I know I could have gone somwehere in the morning (we've been to Cozumel several times) but it just seemed like a hassle to go somewhere for a few hours and then have either come back to the ship to change or take ANOTHER cab downtown.

2) In hindsight, I wished that I'd selected something where I had more control over how long we stayed. I enjoyed some of the bars more than others (Punta Morena and Coconuts) and would have liked to split the time differently. We also passed a bar that I would have loved to stop at because the beach/swimming area looked gorgeous.

3) I was under the impression that that side of the island would be "cheaper" than the port side, but it was not.

4) The Bar Hop site said "The tour includes a free shot at every bar". We got a shot at every bar, but it was a shot of a mixed drink. So essentially 1/10 of a drink. We were expecting shots of alcohol, not shots of rum punch.

I considered cancelling our reservation and booking with a tour company that offered private jeep tours (to essentially wherever we wanted) for only a bit more $$$ (which included beer and lunch) and would have filled our day and gave me more control over where we went and for how long. I wish I'd made the switch.

Hope that helps.

As has been stated you are really asking about two very different experiences.

The initial monetary outlay is probably about the same for both but what you will receive is very different. Nachi obviously includes food and drink and a relaxing day very similar to your scheduled day in Costa Maya. You will need to arrange taxi to and from resort in addition.

Bar hop needs to be considered more as a means of transportation round the island with stops at pre-arranged bars with a group (which can be of various size) and a guide. It is not generally a " party bus" as has been discussed many times on this board, although I am sure some groups are more "lively" than others. I am surprised the previous poster was confused as to what drinks were included on the hop as that has also been discussed on here many times and the video on the bar hop site clearly shows what type of drink is included. The written description describes the drinks as "house specialty shot". Any extra food and drink has to be purchased separately. We consider the bar hop to be reasonable value for a trip round the island if there are only two people in your group and you want to socialize a little, (or a lot, up to you!) if there are more than two in your group or you want to be in control of where you stop and for how long you are probably better of with a private driver, or taxi whichever you are more comfortable with. We have done all three options at different times and have enjoyed them all for different reasons.

I would also mention that only two of the for stops on the bar hop have beaches of any merit. At each stop it is entirely up to you whether you want to go off alone or sit with the group. The stops are not really long enough to be considered a relaxing beach break, as will be the case when you visit any new place, for a brief stop, for the first time. It needs to be thought of more as a sampler of what the east side has to offer, which is not the large commercial beach bars of the southern beach clubs.

Depending on which pier you arrive at you may need transportation to the meeting point.

We have done the Bar Hop twice, once with a group of family/friends (8 on our own bus) and once with a group of other cruisers from other ships in port. Both times were a lot of fun, and we will do it again at some point I'm sure, as we seem to get to Cozumel a lot! LOL

The East side of the island is gorgeous-that alone is worth the trip once:) Also, we usually go to Paradise Beach, the hop was something different to mix it up a little bit.

You won't have to worry about driving, you can eat/drink as little or as much as you want, and they are very good about getting you back on time.

Good luck with your decision!

Well, I think clearly I will be the one to pick which we pursue, however, I was hoping for some feedback from those that have attended these places.

My 2 cents is to think about plan C. If you are not a big drinker, rent a car and visit the same places the Bar Hop stops at.

I've always enjoyed stopping at Punta Morena.

http://www.puntamorena.com.mx/index.html

By going it on your own you'll be free to do what you want to do.

We are going on the Bar Hop in April next year. We were tempted to rent a Harley or Jeep to tour the island, until I heard horror stories about the drivers and the local law enforcement. Friend of mine got in a wreck and hurt a native, but not bad. He got hauled off to jail for 2 days and had to pay the family of the guy $6000 before they let him out. He was taken to the airport by police and put on a plane back to the U.S. Let someone drive you around, whether that be on the Bar Hop or a private driver or cab. They don't play around over there.

If you are traveling by yourself and are not a big drinker I think the bar hop might be a good choice for you. You get to see the other side of the island and meet other people on your tour. Driving a car by yourself wouldn't probably be any cheaper or as much fun.

If there are two or more of you then I would rent a car. To me the Bus Hop isn't worth it for people who like to drink or are part of a group. All your really gettinig is your transportaion and a few watered down shots. You still have to pay for food and drinks. But as you said your not really a drinker so that may work for you.

If you feel like relaxing on a nice beach you don't have to go to Nachi Cocom. Unless they have a pay as you go price it wouldn't be worth 55.00pp if you don't drink. Plus you don't get to see much of the island.

Your post starts out sounding like you are with at least one other person (we). But then you use (I) a lot so it seems like you might be traveling alone. So as I stated above it really depends on how many are traveling with you. For two people on the bus hop it would be around 115.00 for the two of you. You can rent a car for less then this and be on youir own schedule. If I was traveling alone I would do the bar hop.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing:)

We've done both!

Nachi - Enjoyed with our group of 6. Nice day for a beach day in the sun, plenty of drinks, food was great. We do all-inlcusives on the mainland a couple times a year, so it was more or less for the other 4 that have never experienced that kind of thing.

Bar Hop: Awesome. Just my hubby and I on this trip so we joined in with about 8 others and had a ball. GREAT to see the other side of the island, eat some really fresh delicious food (which you have to pay for) and meet some great people. We would definitley do this again, doubt we would do Nachi again just because it's a been there-done that too many times.

Last week I was in Coz and did the Personal Mini-subs through Oceanus. AWESOME!!! Driving a scooter around under water was on my bucketlist. Short tour so gave us some time to wander around town as well.

We've done both!

Nachi - Enjoyed with our group of 6. Nice day for a beach day in the sun, plenty of drinks, food was great. We do all-inlcusives on the mainland a couple times a year, so it was more or less for the other 4 that have never experienced that kind of thing.

Bar Hop: Awesome. Just my hubby and I on this trip so we joined in with about 8 others and had a ball. GREAT to see the other side of the island, eat some really fresh delicious food (which you have to pay for) and meet some great people. We would definitley do this again, doubt we would do Nachi again just because it's a been there-done that too many times.

Last week I was in Coz and did the Personal Mini-subs through Oceanus. AWESOME!!! Driving a scooter around under water was on my bucketlist. Short tour so gave us some time to wander around town as well.

Gosh! Every time I come back to this thread I change my mind! I had settled on Nachi, but I really think my husband would enjoy the Bar Hop more. He loves the sun, but doesn't enjoy the beach as much as I do. And, it's an opportunity to see more of the island, which I would enjoy. And... we're already doing an AI beach in Costa Maya. I also enjoy meeting new people, so the Bar Hop might be fun for that too!

Keep the posts coming!

Thank you all!

Gosh! Every time I come back to this thread I change my mind! I had settled on Nachi, but I really think my husband would enjoy the Bar Hop more. He loves the sun, but doesn't enjoy the beach as much as I do. And, it's an opportunity to see more of the island, which I would enjoy. And... we're already doing an AI beach in Costa Maya. I also enjoy meeting new people, so the Bar Hop might be fun for that too!

Keep the posts coming!

Thank you all!

If you're doing an AI in Costa Maya I would DEFINITELY try the Bar hop or your husband might just be beached out. The Hop also has some GORGEOUS beaches to relax at for an hour at a time. Hammocks, drinks in hand, etc. When you're just about bored...onto the next one!! My husband even said, "I'd even recommend this tour to people who don't drink" we had so much fun!

I did the bar hop 2 cruises ago and was dissapointed in it. If that type of tour interests you do the jeep one instead. Very little beach time with the bar hop. That being said the staff was great. Customer service was very good too. The tour just wasn't as exciting as it was hyped to be. (I think the other poster and myself are in the minority opinion for this tour.)

My friends did the jeep one the sane day and they had a great tour and more freedom schedule wise.

Nachi coccum is just a small beach resort. It is nice but almaplena is prettier :)

Almaplena is great BTW. Awesome beach. Only complaint was drinks were slow but considering everything was essentially made from scratch...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Actually you might consider snorkelling with Tiger's Adventures. Did that in October and it was awesome! Two snorkel stops then you go to a great sand bar area and they serve guac/chips and drinks in the water. Just beware....we were all pretty happy by the end so none of us realized we ALL got sunburned Lol. Wear a T-shirt in the water!

I scuba dive so I'm not normally a fan of snorkelling but tiger did a great job. Guided snorkel and he points everything out. He even free dives and gets down 40ft.

I've been to Cozumel 4 or 5 times now and 12 cruises. It was definitely one of my more favorite excursions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Cozumel Bar Hop a week ago Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our ship docked outside downtown so we had to take an $8 taxi ride and met the tour bus at Carlos and Charlie's. The bus was immaculate, our driver Carlos was very pleasant and the tour guide Colleen was very informative and friendly.

We stopped at 4 bars right on the beach. The first stop had a pool if you wanted to take a dip. The surf is very rough and not recommended for swimming. The complimentary drinks were small, but you could order whatever drinks you wanted and food was also available. The beer was very cold and refreshing. The people in the bars were very friendly and the scenery rustic, but pretty.

If you want to relax at a beach and swim in calm waters, this isn't for you. But if you want a tour that's different and not the same old same old, this is a fun way to see the non-touristy side of Cozumel, have a few drinks and not worry about driving. I'm not a drinker either, but I'd highly recommend this tour.

I also enjoy meeting new people, so the Bar Hop might be fun for that too!

Keep the posts coming!

Thank you all!

You just posted one of the best things about the Bar Hop. You get on the bus as a bunch of strangers, you get off the bus as friends.

FYI, just booked another cruise in Feb. We will be hoppin again on the 13th.

Well, given all this great info, I've decided on the Bar Hop!

It sounds like we might have time for the 9:00 am tour at the Chocolate Factory as well if we play our cards right!

Thank you all for the feedback! I'll post a review when we get back, but it's stil quite a way away.... darn!

You just posted one of the best things about the Bar Hop. You get on the bus as a bunch of strangers, you get off the bus as friends.

FYI, just booked another cruise in Feb. We will be hoppin again on the 13th.

On our HOP there was a couple on their 7th trip HOPPING. At one of the beaches a vendor with weaved bracelets came up to them and began chatting as is he knew them. Then he came to each of us and asked us to pick out a bracelet. We declined kindly, but he said the couple wanted to purchase a bracelet for everyone on the HOP. Apparently they do this on every trip and while it probably only cost them $10 or so, it meant the world to everyone and we all bonded and became fast friends after that! Nice ice breaker I'd say!!

First let me say I am soooooooo loving these boards!

We are doing what sounds like the exact same trip, but the last week of January instead of February! I have decided on the Tropicante when we're in Cosa Maya, and now I'm thinking we should do the bar hop in Cozumel! This will be our third trip to Cozumel, or maybe 4th..., and we've done the catamarran snorkeling trip, and just wandered by ourselves, and of course been to Carlos and Charlie's. This bar hop idea sounds like it would afford us a better look at other parts of the island.

Thanks everybody!!

• 2 weeks later...
I can only comment on our Bar Hop experience ...

The organization, staff and transportation are top notch. The beach bars are GORGEOUS and it was really nice to see that side of the island.

That said, the Bar Hope didn't live up to MY expectations ...

1) I prefer to spend the whole day in the port, getting the most out of my time. The hop didn't start until noon, and our ship got to port at 9am. So I felt like I had wasted the morning. I know I could have gone somwehere in the morning (we've been to Cozumel several times) but it just seemed like a hassle to go somewhere for a few hours and then have either come back to the ship to change or take ANOTHER cab downtown.

2) In hindsight, I wished that I'd selected something where I had more control over how long we stayed. I enjoyed some of the bars more than others (Punta Morena and Coconuts) and would have liked to split the time differently. We also passed a bar that I would have loved to stop at because the beach/swimming area looked gorgeous.

3) I was under the impression that that side of the island would be "cheaper" than the port side, but it was not.

4) The Bar Hop site said "The tour includes a free shot at every bar". We got a shot at every bar, but it was a shot of a mixed drink. So essentially 1/10 of a drink. We were expecting shots of alcohol, not shots of rum punch.

I considered cancelling our reservation and booking with a tour company that offered private jeep tours (to essentially wherever we wanted) for only a bit more $$$ (which included beer and lunch) and would have filled our day and gave me more control over where we went and for how long. I wish I'd made the switch.

Hope that helps.

VERY good to know. THANKS!!!