Best way to see cozumel

mnjennfl

We do not want to do an organized excursion. My husband and I want to see the island and spend some time in downtown. Should we rent a jeep or car and drive ourselves or should we hire a taxi to tour the island? Also any recommendations on sites to see?

You can do either, but my recommendation would be to hire a driver for the day (especially if you plan on having a cocktail or two).

A few years back, my family hired a driver and we got to tour the island from the comfort of an air conditioned van. We stopped at San Gervasio to see the ruins, then did a few stops along the east side (Chen Rio, Señor Iguanas, Mezcalitos, Rasta Bar, El Mirador, the Lighthouse), we also had a few photo ops before heading to Paradise Beach, then back downtown for some shopping (Los Cinco Soles and a few other shops). It was a lot of fun, and stress free. Our driver spoke excellent english (and we tried out our spanish on him), and we learned a lot about the island and the people who live and work there. You plan your own tour or ask for recommendations, and do what you want at your leisure.

Many here on the CC site have booked with Tours Plaza, Crescencio Lopez or other tour guides (they get great reviews), but you can also grab a cab at the port and make arrangements with a driver once you arrive. Check out Hiring a driver for the day...it's a long thread, so you'll probably want to scan the last 4 or 5 pages to get general ideas about what to do and where to go.

If you choose to rent a vehicle, be sure to get a good guidebook and map, and remember to get the full insurance coverage. There are many good deals to be found at the rental agencies.

Good luck on your research and have fun in Cozumel! :D

• 4 weeks later...

We did a 4 hour tour with Crescenscio this past Thursday. Made for a stress free day,

He was totally responsive and accommodating from the first time I contacted him. He made us aware of a range of possible activities and then we picked what appealed to us most. His van is comfortable and immaculate. He is so thoughtful that he had a cooler with waters and even insect repellant if we needed it at the ruins.

The weather was iffy that day and I appreciated his willingness to be flexible. Things worked out fine. We were a family of 5 adults and first went downtown , then the ruins, along the east coast with stops for pictures, then a quick stroll through El Cedral and he dropped us off at playa Palancar. It was crowded when we arrived and he offered to take us somewhere else but we opted to stay.

I can't imagine that we would have seen as much on our own ( or understood as much about what we were seeing). He is a lovely man and we enjoyed his company.

Thanks for the scoop. We're on the Dawn the last week of January and haven't picked our excursion yet. Will check out the tour operator you listed. I can just Google him I presume?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

yes, just google toursplaza dot com and you can check it

I heard from him last night. He said 90 for 3 hours for the 2 of us and then 20 per hour after that. Is this his usual price or should I haggle? Honestly that seems high.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

It's actually $5 lower than most charge for both initial and per hour after according to all the posts and on toursplaza dot com it is $107 for up to 4 people. Check tripadvisor for same information and posts.

Edited by ISLABONITA