Confused: Switching rooms with ES rate and reduced deposit?

iheartmarshall

I apologize if this post confuses anyone... I'm confused just typing it. But I need help!

We're booked in a PT room via Early Saver for a May 2014 cruise. We're not at full payment yet; we have about $150 left to pay by March. I was browsing today and noticed that the 4J "walkway" rooms are $10 less than our current cruise rate. I'm thinking about calling and switching just so we could have access to the "secret" decks, although I know that would raise our total by $100 or so because we'd have to pay the $50pp ES fee... so it's not saving us any money. But, I think having a larger window and closer outside access may be worth it. I should also add that this will be our first cruise.

My confusion is this -- Carnival is running the 50% deposit special and I'm not sure how that would work if I call and switch. Our deposit for our current cruise is already paid obviously but would we have to pay anything extra beyond the ES fees? Would we have to pay the remaining balance right after we switch? I don't want to get screwed and lose our reservation. I know I can call Carnival and ask but I wanted to get feedback here first.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by iheartmarshall

Ok, if I'm reading this right. The room you want to switch to is a higher level room than you booked, but it is cheaper than the room you have booked? If that is the case you shouldn't have to pay anything extra to switch. Early saver allows for price drops if you price goes down for a room that is in your category, but it also allows for an upgrade if there is a room in a higher category that is less than your current rate. As for the reduced deposit sale going on, it doesn't apply to you as you have already paid your full deposit.

Ok, if I'm reading this right. The room you want to switch to is a higher level room than you booked, but it is cheaper than the room you have booked? If that is the case you shouldn't have to pay anything extra to switch. Early saver allows for price drops if you price goes down for a room that is in your category, but it also allows for an upgrade if there is a room in a higher category that is less than your current rate. As for the reduced deposit sale going on, it doesn't apply to you as you have already paid your full deposit.

You read that right! lol. It is a higher level and $10 less. I didn't realize we could switch to a higher category like that if it's less than our current rate... I will call them now and see. I am just afraid of somehow getting wrapped into the reduced deposit rate and if I don't pay the remaining balance in X days, I get dropped... I've read so many horror stories about that on here!

The whole point of ES is that if either your category drops in price below what you paid, or a category higher than you drops to your price or below, you can get your price adjusted or you can upgrade. So the fact that a higher category is less than your price means you SHOULD be utilizing the benefits of ES booking...that's what it's for.

As for the deposit, it is irrelevant to your situation as you have a full deposit in place already (and if I read right, additional sums as well).

No need to worry at all.

You have already paid your full deposit and you want to switch to a higher level. So call Carnival and make it happen, it won't cost you anything.

If it's $10 less, they will take this off your final payment amount. Enjoy your new cabin!

The whole point of ES is that if either your category drops in price below what you paid, or a category higher than you drops to your price or below, you can get your price adjusted or you can upgrade. So the fact that a higher category is less than your price means you SHOULD be utilizing the benefits of ES booking...that's what it's for.

As for the deposit, it is irrelevant to your situation as you have a full deposit in place already (and if I read right, additional sums as well).

Thank you! This is my first time dealing with any of this (and my first cruise, period) so I was unsure of how it worked.