Hair Powder? heard of it? tried it?

Froufie

It is also used to replace washing your hair and is placed in the roots and other areas to help remove oils. I guess I would rather have my hair look dull than greasy.

I actually think you are talking about 'dry shampoo' which I believe is different from this product - which is supposed to add volume?

I have been reading some of the review on makeupalley.com and the sexy hair concepts powder play seems to be very popular! http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemID=129117

I have and use both products mentioned here. The volumizing hair powder I have is by Big Sexy Hair, I use it just at the roots and sparingly as it makes the hair a bit sticky, like a lot of hairspray buildup. I'd not use this product if I weren't going to shampoo my hair the very next morning

The dry hair shampoo I have is by Oscar Blandi and again, I use it sparingly as it tends to look like powdered hair if too much is used. I only use it in emergency, I have some health issues that sometimes keep me from taking a full shower for a couple days and I have a very oily scalp. I use it then just to feel better about myself.

Both bottles are very small and can be pricey. But, usage is so small I've had both of them for a couple years and am nowhere close to even using up half of either product. Both product I apply with my hands for more control, I don't shake the product directly onto my scalp…it's just too much.

I've used this before, but I believe the brand was Beyond the Zone: http://www.sallybeauty.com/volumizing-powder/SBS-140254,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04

When I wanted a bit of extra volume or my hair just wasn't cooperating right, I would rub about quarter-size amount of powder in my hands, flip my hair over, and rub it all over at my roots. I have thick, heavy hair so the extra volume would only last for about an hour before it died down but for that hour, it looked great! lol

Okay - I did go into the local 'hair product' store (I try to stay out cuz I am a hair product junkie LOL...and have more than I need)....got the Big sexy hair powder play (yes it was on sale)...and some of the protect and seal - non frizz aerosol - also getting rave reviews) -.....tried some on the roots today - not sure I put enuf? (did not seem to liquify - and was not sticky at all?) so far no big difference? Will have to try it again :)

Edited by Froufie

I tried Aveda Hair Potion powder. I applied it exactly as demonstrated in the salon, at the top of my scalp for root lift. It did nothing for volume, but made my head very itchy. My hair is thick and straight. I think it's better to use mousse or spray and tease.

I've used Bumble & Bumble and like it. Makes my hair fuller, look thicker & covers any colour changes (like when highlights are growing out).

It's easy to use too much, then it makes your hair look very matte. But there are shining products you can use after - like certain hairspray.

I use both hair powder and dry shampoo. I wash my hair every other day. If you don't have excessively oily scalp it really is better to wash less frequently. It helps your color from fading and is gentler for your hair. I use the dry shampoo - Oscar Blandi is my favorite. I've tried just about every kind of dry shampoo out there. When I use it, I put the powder into my hand and work it into my hair. I don't find the aerosol varieties to be very absorbing. I use hair powder - like the Big sexy brand mentioned - to give my hair volume. I use it only in the area I want volume. You need to sprinkle it in and then kind of massage the area to "activate" it. I use this mainly when I am backcombing for an up do. It also makes your ponytail look awesome too!

I use this stuff. It works great. I usually only wash my hair every 3-4 days or so. It's sooooooooooooo dry! And curly. I use this when my roots need some help in the third day. It is unscented. I have not found an unscented dry shampoo. But I love the volume this gives me. I use only a little. We also have used this on the almost-4-year-old grandgirl. Her hair is so fine, it won't stay in a ponytail. But it does make her hair really sticky and has to be washed out before bed or we have a HUGE mess!

Robin

sexyhair-bigsexyhair-powderplayvolumizingandtexturizingpowder-0.53ounce-1.jpg

I use this stuff. It works great. I usually only wash my hair every 3-4 days or so. It's sooooooooooooo dry! And curly. I use this when my roots need some help in the third day. It is unscented. I have not found an unscented dry shampoo. But I love the volume this gives me. I use only a little. We also have used this on the almost-4-year-old grandgirl. Her hair is so fine, it won't stay in a ponytail. But it does make her hair really sticky and has to be washed out before bed or we have a HUGE mess!

Robin

sexyhair-bigsexyhair-powderplayvolumizingandtexturizingpowder-0.53ounce-1.jpg

that is the exact product I got - glad to hear you like it.

can you share how you 'use' it? eg. on roots? or hand/fingers and run it thru? How much do you use? Any details greatly appreciated! :)

that is the exact product I got - glad to hear you like it.

can you share how you 'use' it? eg. on roots? or hand/fingers and run it thru? How much do you use? Any details greatly appreciated! :)

I have curly, medusa-like hair. (S-curls, not ringlet type) I use it only on my roots. I make a temporary part where I need fluff, tap a small amount of powder along the part, then hang my head upside down and use my fingertips to rub it into the scalp. I do that in two or three places, and it gives me a lot of volume. It really doesn't take much powder at all. Then I hairspray.

For the grandgirly, my DIL shakes some onto her hands and then runs them through her hair. It does take away some of the shine. My DIL is not certain if she really likes it or not.

But I love what it does for my 2- or 3- or 4-day hair!

Robin

I have curly, medusa-like hair. (S-curls, not ringlet type) I use it only on my roots. I make a temporary part where I need fluff, tap a small amount of powder along the part, then hang my head upside down and use my fingertips to rub it into the scalp. I do that in two or three places, and it gives me a lot of volume. It really doesn't take much powder at all. Then I hairspray.

But I love what it does for my 2- or 3- or 4-day hair!

Robin

Yep! That is exactly how to use it. I have straight very fine hair. I have been asked if I had my updo done at a salon when I use it. Used right it will give you so much volume, just don't over do it - a little goes a long way. Also it is a must to massage it into your scalp - this activates the product. The only difference is I backcomb the area in which I put the powder.

Hello,

If you are talking about dry shampoo, which you spray on roots to absorb oil so your hair looks clean vs oily and dirty then yes. I love it! You don't have to wash you hair every dang day and all women especially ones with long hair know what a process this is, it cuts down on getting ready. Imagine putting your hair in a ponytail to keep away from the shower water, jumping in, washing your body and out you go. You spray the dry shampoo on your hair roots, massage in with your brush or fingers, it smells clean and fresh you follow up with a few quick curls or go quickly over with your flat iron and boom done! No washing, conditioning or drying necessary. Skip a few days of washing and still look great... You can't beat that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk