Back from the Carnival Valor- dress info

OC Mom

OK, back to the OP and what she stated. From what you wrote and what I've read on the Carnival board, it seems this is the direction this line is going in. Which, is fine, there are plenty of people in this world who want that experience. We choose not to cruise Carnival after just one cruise with them, but, we are looking for something different than what they offer. For anyone who takes offense to this statement, I said different, not better.

I notice you have only sailed on Carnival, so perhaps you should try a different line next time. You sound like you like things a bit more dressy and sophisticated. We enjoy a more understated elegance rather than glitter and neon. I will have to say that, RCI, even though the cruise experience is similar to Carnival, the ships seem to be a bit more upscale. But, even there, we know we would not be happy on their mega liners, too much crowding. I can even tell the pax going on RCI are starting to sound as if they are more interested in a more casual experience.

Our last cruise was on Celebrity, a very welcome change. I think the entertainment was not as lively as the above mentioned, but I don't really go on a cruise for the onboard entertainment. There were no announcements during the day, other than letting us know we were ready to disembark at ports and the glacier day (Alaska) there was a naturalist speaking. It was very nice to not be hawked at all day. I have always read the crowd is older on Celebrity, but I did not find that to be the case, there was a broad range of ages. I never saw anyone dressed innapropriately, never saw anyone out of line. I take that back, there was an old, drunk, obnoxious guy in the jacuzzi one day complaining about the lack of partying like Carnival had.

My point is, don't limit yourself to one line, try others as well. We choose, first, our itinerary, then the ship we sail. We aren't taking a week long cruise for a while, but we do have 3 weekend cruises coming up within the next year. We are sailing RCI, Cunard and NCL, all out of Los Angeles. So, we aren't loyalist to anyone, we want to try them all. Jane110 has convinced me that when we are finally able to sail Europe, we will try Oceania. I'd love to sail the premium lines (someday) as you can find good bargains on those lines at times. We have hopes of sailing Windstar at some point in our lives.

On embarkation day, you probably did not look weird at all, just a little nicer than most. You also did probably worry too much about your clothes, so what? We all do, to a point, here on the fashion board.

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday:)

KS your and my thinking is not that far apart. I too am not interested in a lot of ice breaking games so I can meet someone as I am an old married lady soon to be 23 years. I also no longer have a child who goes for the silly stuff who I have to consider.

You mentioned Oceania is good for Europe. Are they really pricy? Hubby and I want to do a European repositioning cruise for our 25th. We are figuring we will spend around $2500 each minumin to book a stateroom for a 2 week cruise.

I did find a RCCL Radience class ship for a little less but I really want this to be a nice cruise. For this cruise I want the "fillet mignon" although I will be returning to "chopped sirloin" for sure after this trip.

Have you done any research on this?

momofmeg - I think the point that Caviargirl was making was not that the Maitre'D complimented people, but it was the general annoyance of having the announcements made during dinner. It's not something that is done on many lines, but Carnival and RCCl are targeted more towards families and are certainly less "formal" than some other lines like Celebrity. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it's just different lines cater to a different clientel. That's why we all get to choose who to sail with. Its also IMO kind of tacky to have those announcements going on during dinner. It reminds me of summer camp, when everyone is gathered in the mess-hall. Just creates that image in my mind, so to have that going on while I'm dressed in a gown seems kind of tacky. But that's why I select a different line to sail with when I don't have my kids with me. When my kids come, Carnival or RCCL are my two choices, knowing that it is more casual of an atmosphere.

The above is what clotheslined me so much about formal night and people getting bent out of shape over what you wear in the dining room. I can't remember who it was that said you should dress formal when the dining room has fine linen and crystal (or something along those lines) but, when we sailed Carnival the atmosphere was like summer camp or a cafeteria. We saw a grand piano but no one played. There were announcements through dinner. It was rowdy. Why does anyone care that my husband does not have on a suit or tux in this atmosphere?

I will also say we sailed on the Carnival Fascination the party ship and we did have a blast. It was tons of fun. Would I do it again? Certainly. Was it fine dining? No.

Archived