Question regarding passport pls

Divamama0609

Is it better when getting off the ship for a tour to take your passport with you or to take a copy of the passport with you? I'm new to cruising :o

TIA!!!

I prefer to take color copies of my passport and keep the original in the safe. Don't have to worry about keeping it safe while at the beach or in the water or with any other activity.

Downside is, if you miss the ship, you might be stuck in a foreign country without documentation.

Edited by hirent

Is it better when getting off the ship for a tour to take your passport with you or to take a copy of the passport with you? I'm new to cruising :o

TIA!!!

There are varying opinions on this :cool:...alot of people swear by leaving their passports in the safe. I always take mine off with me...if something happens, & I need the actual document, I have it.

There are varying opinions on this :cool:...alot of people swear by leaving their passports in the safe. I always take mine off with me...if something happens, & I need the actual document, I have it.

Agreed. I always take my actual document off of the ship, as it is the only thing that will help me to fly off an island if something happens. If I take "color copies" as someone else suggested, I will not be able to fly with these, but if the color copies fall into the wrong hands, that thief will get my info anyway, so I may as well have the real document(and safeguard it) in case I need it.

Driver License goes with me, not Passport...Never pull it out of the safe... not needed on shore IMHO. If something happens, there is a Carnival rep in every port to help. Some people are paranoid, I just don't care. I figure if I miss the boat... it's just a longer vacation.... but, unfortunately, I have always got back on time...

We always bring them with us.

To us, it isn't an issue of making it back to the ship on time, but rather the fact that you never know what life will bring you. You could be off the ship and have an accident and need to stay on the island or fly back. I know that if something happens while we're off the ship, I certainly don't want to have to worry about getting back to the ship to get passports...and color copies or a driver's license won't get you back in the USA if you're flying from an island.

Sent from my iPad

The last time I renewed I asked at the passport office which I should do, I was advised to leave it in the safe and bring other photo I.d. ashore

That's interesting. I wrote to the Passport Department and ask the same questions. Their reply was "Why get it if you aren't going to use it. It's useless in a safe."

That's interesting. I wrote to the Passport Department and ask the same questions. Their reply was "Why get it if you aren't going to use it. It's useless in a safe."

I agree. We've been told repeatedly that the original document is what would be needed if anything were to happen, and that it's a good idea to have a copy in case, but that you're better off using the original.

I have a specific bag I travel off the ship with and everyone in our family knows they all go in there. We've been on five cruises and visited probably 25 ports--never had an issue taking ours off.

We always bring them with us.

To us, it isn't an issue of making it back to the ship on time, but rather the fact that you never know what life will bring you. You could be off the ship and have an accident and need to stay on the island or fly back. I know that if something happens while we're off the ship, I certainly don't want to have to worry about getting back to the ship to get passports...and color copies or a driver's license won't get you back in the USA if you're flying from an island.

Sent from my iPad

Agreed ;). For me too, it's NOT an issue of boarding the ship in time...it's an issue if something happens...an accident or an injury, and they take me to a hospital & I have no other option but to fly home.