Cave Tubing with MS

audeamus

Hello! We will be cruising in January with my mother, who is 54 and has multiple sclerosis, but is otherwise very healthy. She still walks like a champ, but like many with MS her symptoms can temporarily "flare up" in hot/humid conditions. (I know, I know...a Caribbean cruise is maybe not ideal. But try telling her that ;).)

We are planning all of our excursions with the understanding that there may be days she wakes up and it is clear she should stay on the ship. However, we're also trying to plan excursions that she might enjoy if she is having a "good day" and is able to join us.

With that in mind, we are considering a cave tubing excursion in Belize because the tubing itself sounds refreshing. I know the temps are pretty consistent in Belize and I realize everyone is affected differently, but I'm just trying to get a feel for whether the bus and hike portions would be manageable for her... for anyone who has done this, did your operator's A/C on the bus or van work pretty well? Did you find yourself sweating a lot on the hike? Was it a relatively relaxing excursion in general?

Again, I know everyone's experience is different and I realize anything is possible in a third world country, but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible so we can discuss this port with her and have a game plan.

Thanks very much in advance!

You're wise to think ahead. If your Mother is able to walk about a mile over some rough but not too steep terrain and cross the river via a rope to hold on to, and climb in and out of an inner tube, she might enjoy the excursion. Guides will typically take their time reaching the drop in point based on the fitness of their parties. I'd suggest carrying a collaspable walking stick, or two, for support. You do have to carry your own tubes and that may be an issue for your mother. But if others in your party double up it can be overcomed.

I suggest as well that you contact a guide service like cavetubing-r-us where you make a reservation but no deposit. You can explain to David at CTRU or whoever you use about your mother's condition in advance. That way if on arrival in Belize, she doesn't feel up to the hassle of the tender then the bus (ours was A/C), she can stay on board and let the rest of you head on out.

• 2 weeks later...