Clarify Alcohol carryon policy Please

kkpcruiser

I'm glad it's not just us! Our past two room stewards both declined to get us an ice bucket, wine glasses, or a corkscrew, instead directing us to call room service for those items.

Our last room steward also didn't keep the ice fresh in the bucket holding the bottle of wine. He only maintained the ice in the small silver bucket.

Nope, not just you, though it seems we are among the few who have had issues. When we asked at the Schooner Bar, the bartender was very surprised that the steward refused to get us what we needed.

Our steward wasn't the greatest to begin with, we got no washcloths and he wasn't too happy when I asked for some.

Hopefully, we will have a better steward on our next cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to chime in, I've (also) never seen them count bottles since the checking is done by port staff and not cruise line staff. I've never tried to abuse that rule (only the wife drinks wine) but I'll bet you could easily get 2 per person onboard.

How closely are they checking to make sure it is actually wine in those carry on bottles? To me it sounds like it could pretty much be anything. Has anyone experienced them actually verifying that it is a bottle of wine instead of something else?

First I do not condone stretching the rules, especially since it's cool that they let us carry on wine and I hate to see the privilege abused.

Second, to answer the question honestly, they do not look at bottles, but they do go through x-ray. I'd guess that a non-wine shaped bottle might be inspected, but a wine-shaped bottle containing some other liquid would probably make it.

I'm glad it's not just us! Our past two room stewards both declined to get us an ice bucket, wine glasses, or a corkscrew, instead directing us to call room service for those items.

Our last room steward also didn't keep the ice fresh in the bucket holding the bottle of wine. He only maintained the ice in the small silver bucket.

Our tip would have certainly reflected the level of service. :)

Thanks for the responses. I think it's really great that RCL started to allow this.

Sounds like putting my two bottles of vino in my carryon with corkscrew is the way to go! Looking forward to enjoying it on our balcony!:D

I would put the corkscrew in the checked luggage as there have been mixed reports of security mistaking them as a weapon. As a fall back you can always get one at the bar too.