pre cruise regret..waranted?

pandarider123

I've never been on a cruise before and never been out of country, so three months ago I booked a may birthday cruise. Only princess and carnival had cruises near when I wanyed it and departed on galveston.ended up picking carnival magic and was so excited but then as months went by I hear from more and more people..even family members saying carnival is bad cruise line and should of booked princess (heard that was owned by carnival so doesn't make sense) .I understand for the price I can't expect high class but did I really make a mistake choosing carnival over princess. Or is this all over hype over that one bad cruise and the concordia. I'm on low income and just going to applebees or chilis is considered special so I am not hard to please. That being said has anyone been on carnival magic in last year or so that can tell me how it went. Is carnival really a bad line ? Should cancel my booking and book princess?

Carnival is good for your first cruise line. It's a good introduction to cruising. Carnival owns many brands and Princess is worlds apart from the Carnival brand.

If you are expecting luxury then you will not be happy. Carnival has some great things to offer - but its not for everyone. Read around these forums and decide for yourself once you have cruised.

There is no way I can answer that for you. ONly you / your family could answer that. Like I said, read around these forums and the internet in general. There is enough information out there to keep you busy for years.

Carnival and Princess offer a very different product. Ignore anything you read about the Concordia and the Triumph. Things like that are extremely rare.

I hope you go and enjoy yourself. Many people get freaked out hearing of incidences on cruise ships, but considering how many thousands are cruising every week, you just aren't going to please everyone. We have done 5 Carnival cruises, one HAL, and one Celebrity. They have all been good. Only problems are with dynamics with those cruising with you. Do a little research, read some reviews, but don't just read the bad ones. I guarantee, more will have loved their cruise than not.

What are your ports? Do you like excursions. Check out the ports of call section here on cruise critic. Lots of good information and suggestions. Private excursions will be cheaper than ship sponsored, but you have to be comfortable going private. If not, pick one that sounds interesting from the ship and enjoy.

Hope you have fun!

I sailed out of Galveston and had the same decision to make. I was on Carnival Magic in April and had a really good cruise. My next cruise is on Princess. My Carnival cruise was with my son for his graduation while I am doing my 20th anniversary on Princess. Two different cruise lines for 2 different experiences. This was my report link but don't get scared off by the title. I hurt my back going under the limbo and my knees in the dance club. Sometimes I am my worse enemy:) In 20 years of cruising I met some of the greatest people on this cruise and a one a true friend. I am happy I did not do the usual research before booking or I might have been scared off. All the pics in my signature (except the one with DH) were taken on the Magic. I passed on that Princess cruise for Royal Princess, eventhough I would really like to see Belize, maybe next time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=18629

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Ports will be roatan cozumel belize

In Roatan, there is a nice beach area built by Carnival which is free to use.

Cozumel has many, many beach options as well as other activities.

Belize is a tender port, with shopping at the pier, and personally, to see the country, this is the one place I would recommend planning an excursion.

I have been to Belize twice and have really enjoyed myself. Many people do not care for it. Again, research what sounds interesting to you.

Edited by 2 cruzen

We went on our first cruise on 2010 and picked carnival over royal Carribean because of a $300 price difference. Ports were the same. Now, I'm an Applebee's kind of gal, not fancy. I loved the cruise! You have someone that will clean your room twice a day, turn down your bed, leave a cute towel animal for you. The lobby's are amazing on the ships. You can call for room service 24 hours a day. Shows, classes, so much to see and do. I have never been sorry about choosing carnival. We will be going on our 3rd cruise next month and I can't wait.

I sailed out of Galveston and had the same decision to make. I was on Carnival Magic in April and had a really good cruise. My next cruise is on Princess. My Carnival cruise was with my son for his graduation while I am doing my 20th anniversary on Princess. Two different cruise lines for 2 different experiences. This was my report link but don't get scared off by the title. I hurt my back going under the limbo and my knees in the dance club. Sometimes I am my worse enemy:) In 20 years of cruising I met some of the greatest people on this cruise and a one a true friend. I am happy I did not do the usual research before booking or I might have been scared off. All the pics in my signature (except the one with DH) were taken on the Magic. I passed on that Princess cruise for Royal Princess, eventhough I would really like to see Belize, maybe next time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=18629

Pauline

I don't cruise till may and you cruise what in feb? Maybe you can give me comparasion of two when you get back. Btw sorry to hear about the injurys that's about as bad as cominf down with flu on Cruise week.

In Roatan, there is a nice beach area built by Carnival which is free to use.

Cozumel has many, many beach options as well as other activities.

Belize is a tender port, with shopping at the pier, and personally, to see the country, this is the one place I would recommend planning an excursion.

I have been to Belize twice and have really enjoyed myself. Many people do not care for it. Again, research what sounds interesting to you.

Was thinking of victor bodden tours for roatan, xunantech ruins for belize, and la casa en la playa for cozumel.

We went on our first cruise on 2010 and picked carnival over royal Carribean because of a $300 price difference. Ports were the same. Now, I'm an Applebee's kind of gal, not fancy. I loved the cruise! You have someone that will clean your room twice a day, turn down your bed, leave a cute towel animal for you. The lobby's are amazing on the ships. You can call for room service 24 hours a day. Shows, classes, so much to see and do. I have never been sorry about choosing carnival. We will be going on our 3rd cruise next month and I can't wait.

So sounds like enjoyment on a cruise is more of way of thinking like it is what I make of it. The same people telling me that booking carnival was a huge mistake are same ones who have good jobs and go on more fancy vacations. I've never been on a vacatiin before so maybe will enjoy carnvial as a new experence.

I've never been on a cruise before and never been out of country, so three months ago I booked a may birthday cruise. Only princess and carnival had cruises near when I wanyed it and departed on galveston.ended up picking carnival magic and was so excited but then as months went by I hear from more and more people..even family members saying carnival is bad cruise line and should of booked princess (heard that was owned by carnival so doesn't make sense) .I understand for the price I can't expect high class but did I really make a mistake choosing carnival over princess. Or is this all over hype over that one bad cruise and the concordia. I'm on low income and just going to applebees or chilis is considered special so I am not hard to please. That being said has anyone been on carnival magic in last year or so that can tell me how it went. Is carnival really a bad line ? Should cancel my booking and book princess?

Unfortunately, some people only like to post reviews (or comments to a thread) about something bad. And this is not restricted to just Carnival. You will find negative reviews/comments about all the cruise lines. If cruises were as bad as some people make them sound, no one would take a cruise. Go expecting to have a great time and you will. You may become a lifelong Carnival cruiser or you may try other lines but just remember there are far more excellent cruises than the few you hear about in the news. Enjoy your cruise!

I don't cruise till may and you cruise what in feb? Maybe you can give me comparasion of two when you get back. Btw sorry to hear about the injurys that's about as bad as cominf down with flu on Cruise week.

I hurt myself going under the limbo, stupid is as stupid does:D

I have cruised Carnival 4x and Princess 2x, with one booked and RCL 8x. I love Princess but it's can be on the laid back (aka boring) side, which is prefect for my anniversary. The ships are elegant but the food a bit on the bland side for me. I am booked on Royal Princess and staying away from the reviews because good or bad, I want to go and experience it myself. I endured all the comments about Carnival after I booked but the worse about Carnival has been comments I read on this board.

I hurt myself going under the limbo, stupid is as stupid does:D

I have cruised Carnival 4x and Princess 2x, with one booked and RCL 8x. I love Princess but it's can be on the laid back (aka boring) side, which is prefect for my anniversary. The ships are elegant but the food a bit on the bland side for me. I am booked on Royal Princess and staying away from the reviews because good or bad, I want to go and experience it myself. I endured all the comments about Carnival after I booked but the worse about Carnival has been comments I read on this board.

Do not want laid back. I am in my early 20s and want to have fun. You said princess has bland food. Does that mean you thought carnival had better food? I've heard from a lot of people that princesses food is considered miles ahead and carnival is dubbed lubys of the sea.don't know if there is truth behind it.

This is like compareing apples to oranges, they are both fruite, but differnet. Both good, but what is important to you.They call Carnival the party ships, the other is a little more layed back. So you chose, but have a great time what ever you do.

Do not want laid back. I am in my early 20s and want to have fun. You said princess has bland food. Does that mean you thought carnival had better food? I've heard from a lot of people that princesses food is considered miles ahead and carnival is dubbed lubys of the sea.don't know if there is truth behind it.

Here is the good news, you are 20 and want to have fun, Princess is OUT. I am almost 50 and if I wanted to have birthday fun, Princess would be OUT. Overall I loved the buffet on Princess and the MDR on Carnival. On my last cruise I had several dishes I did not care for (sent back) but there were some that exceeded my expectation. I have chosen to go to the dining room very night on my Carnival cruise but only some nights on Princess.

Take what you read with a grain of salt and if you are on Princess you might need it:p. Food is subjective but some people like more of a bland saucy meal while others don't.

So sounds like enjoyment on a cruise is more of way of thinking like it is what I make of it. The same people telling me that booking carnival was a huge mistake are same ones who have good jobs and go on more fancy vacations. I've never been on a vacatiin before so maybe will enjoy carnvial as a new experence.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Vacation is the same as any other aspect of life...its what you make of it. If you go in looking for the pitfalls or bad parts, you will never see the good. Focus on the good. My Dad always told me when I was younger that a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work, and that's my vacation motto. You will have a great time. There are so many things to do/see on the ship. The best part is you can do all of it or none of it. The food is good, especially if you are happy just to go to applebees or chilis as you said. Have fun and don't listen to the naysayers.

i think you just need to do what feels comfortable for YOU.. i have personally never had a problem with Carnival.. well its the only cruiseline i have been on.. but i ALWAYS have a good time, treated well and hey.. i am on vacation when some other people are not.. give it a shot.. dont read into negatives.. some people just need something to complain about.. carnival fits my budget and my personality... i dont wanna be on a ship full of fuddy duddies that go to bed at 7.. (sorry if anyone that reads this goes to bed at 7).. :eek:

keep your booking, go and have a great time!!!!!:D

Have all these naysayers been on Carnival?

Rather than ask here, I would post the question back at them. What specifically makes them tell you Carnival is bad?

If they answer that they heard blah, blah, blah in the media, then dismiss their cries.

If they each have some personal horror story from their many cruises with Carnival, then perhaps you would have a reason to re-consider. ;)

I've cruised both Princess and Carnival....

Being on vacation in the Caribbean is wonderful enough, and life is what you make of it.

I found princess more , "high class". For example, at dinner, they had a server who scraped your crumbs between courses.....

Carnival does not do that, but does it matter?

Both cruise lines offer great itineraries, and lots of on ship activities....

Your excursions off the boat are your choice.... So enjoy your vacation. Carnival is great... Esp if you have not cruised before, you couldn't be disappointed....

After I cruised for the first time. I kept saying, I can't believe I have never cruised before.

Hope you have a wonderful time OP

And be positive life is what you make of it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

You have to take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Does your family say I hate Carnival just because they're Carnival, or do they have legitimate complaints from a recent cruise? For every 1 bad review, I bet you can find 10 good ones. Keep in mind cruise critic is a very small percentage of the cruising population. Thousands of people sail the Magic every week and have a great vacation. I haven't sailed Magic yet, but I took my first cruise on Carnival at 27 (you said you're in your 20's) and I'm taking my 10th Carnival cruise in a few hours. :D Check out my Breeze review in my signature. It will paint the picture of what your cruise might be like as far as food, activities, etc. The ship itself is very similar to Magic. Don't cancel. GO and have fun! :)

Yes. You must take the words of others, including myself, with a huge grain of salt.

Carnival is a great cruise line and you'll enjoy yourself immensely. The people that have dissuaded you, have most likely never been on Carnival and are basing their opinions off of the inaccurate news media.

Bottom line is this. Take the cruise, and decide for yourself if Carnival is right for you, if not, then at least you know from personal experience.

Happy cruising!:cool:

I've only been on Carnival cruises so far ...I'll be on the Magic this year! It's a really new ship. Anyway, when I travel on land, I stay in 4-5 star hotels all the time. Carnival isn't that, but it doesn't bother me. There's food, fun, and plenty to do. You're not treated like it's Motel 6 at alllll. I don't think you'll regret it.