Dry dock

gardencat

Can anyone tell me the usual frequency at which ships go into dry dock? We are booked on the Century later this year and after reading several threads dealing with cruises being cancelled due to the need to extend scheduled 'dry dock' periods I went to look at Century's schedules over the next year to see when she was set to enter dry dock. From what I can see Century seems to be scheduled to run continuously for the next year or so. Is this really feasible? Do ships need regular trips to dry dock or can most problems be handled as part of ongoing maintenance while they continue to cruise?

Most ships go into drydock at two to two-and-a-half year intervals. Running a ship continuously for a year is most definitely feasible.

However regular drydocking is absolutely necessary; for one thing drydocking is required to carry out all the necessary surveys for a ship to remain in class.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks Doug, that's a relief. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] After a recent bad experience with NCL I am becoming paranoid and beginning to worry about anything that may cause a problem with my booked cruise. Guess I'll try to relax a little and stop looking for problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gardencat:
[B]After a recent bad experience with NCL I am becoming paranoid and beginning to worry about anything that may cause a problem with my booked cruise.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's human nature; everybody wants their vacation to be perfect!

I hope you have better luck this time.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Gardencat,
Wow, I feel honored to follow an official host. I probably will minimize the foul language to avoid getting zapped.
My DW and I are both retired and so time is not a problem. I have noticed that you are handsomely rewarded if you happen to book a cruise and it is subsequently cancelled. For us old farts (read, retired), this is not a problem.
In the western world, 9/11 caused a lot of vacation postponements, changes, etc., etc., etc. If you are in a work situation where you must absolutely take a certain week of vacation, FIND ANOTHER JOB!!!!
I am being a bit heavyhanded, but, life is short! Live each day! Enjoy each day. Don't sweat a DRYDOCK!!!!
Les
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Shirley and Les,
When my NCL cruise was cancelled 1 month before departure I was left with air tickets to Honolulu and home from Vancouver ( it was a repositioning cruise).I received a refund on the cost of the cruise. There was also a rumour that we would get 25% of the value of the cancelled cruise as a credit towards another cruise but so far I have seen nothing concrete on that. In addition when we ( myself or my TA )tried to reach NCL for information we repeatedly faced waits of up to 40 minutes on hold. NCL originally told us one story about compensation then later changed their mind causing us more difficulty trying to salvage our vacation.
From my point of view we were not "handsomely rewarded" for this cancellation.
As far as 'getting another job' is concerned I wish it were that easy! My job is only a very small part of the problem when booking a cruise. There is also my daughter's job, my 2 sons' school schedules ( one in high school one in college so different schedules), one son's part time job schedule and my husband's job schedule. Quite a juggling act to try to rearrange to another week at short notice.
Maybe you should have advised me to 'FIND ANOTHER FAMILY 'since this one is interferring with my cruising and life is too short [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think your actual message was meant to be something along the lines of " Just go with the flow and don't get ulcers worrying about the things you can't change." I appreciate the truth in that statement but, at the same time,I think your answer was a little flip and unsympathetic towards those of us who do have restricted vacation times and who get stung by cruise cancellations.

gardencat,

for Celebrity it appears most of the surprise unsheduled dry docks have been concentrated with the Millennium class ships which have had numerous mechanical difficulties with the propulsion system. Century has not had this problem.

I also agree with the comments in your last post. While we have to put cancellations in proper perspective, there are alot of circumstances out there for many of us that makes a cancellation a real headache and disappointment. Besides, the disappointment factor vocalized on this board is going to be higher than for the average person because most people posting here are people who really get into cruising.

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse
Century FO 1996 E Carib
Mercury FO 1998 W Carib
Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP
Infinity FV 2002 S Carib
Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

Archived