Injuries and the infirmary

Jalex63

On our TA on the Noordam, my aunt had a stomach issue (pre-existing condition, not Noro) and visited the infirmary. The doctor did some tests, but ended up recommending that she visit a doctor for further tests and a second opinion in Funchal, Madeira. This was our last port before the TA portion, and the shipboard doctor was very concerned about getting a second opinion to ensure she was cleared to sail back. HAL arranged everything from the transportation to the hospital to someone to accompany them on the doctor visit, along with two followups on board.

She was never charged for any of the shipboard services, which surprised us at the time. I later reasoned it was probably due to the fact that it was a stomach issue. We were very pleased with the infirmary services onboard - whether we had been charged or not, they were top notch and very thorough.

So it seems the common theme here is if you get sick is you're bill. If you get injured they don't take chances and cover it all...

I tend to think it's rather whether HAL might be responsible for the problem or it was caused by the individual involved.

Scott & Karen

Just as explained by others, it appears that HAL's policy is to determine the cause of the injury, the hazard involved if any, and then if this is HAL-related, not to charge.

I was on an excursion in New Zealand on WC in 2011 and slipped on some rocks walking downhill on a steep incline that was paved with gravel. Falling forward, I used my left hand to break the fall, preventing more serious injury. The result was I sustained very deep gashes in my hand and wrist. I went to the infirmary and the nurse and doctor treated me with both professionalism and kindness. (The latter due to my being embarrassed about it having happened.)

There was no charge and two years later on another WC, I ran into the nurse - she actually remembered me and my incident. I showed her the scars and thanked her profusely for the attention they gave me.

My conclusion from above thread notes and my own experience is that one is in good hands regardless of cause of an accident, but if not related to HAL, one would/should pay.

harry

My son developed an acute medical issue while onboard the Statendam. He was seen and treated several times before we had to leave the ship in Huku Hiva. The care while onboard was excellent and the bill was over 600$. The care in Tahiti was not good and the bill was 10,000$ I am happy to say that after nearly a year his insurance has covered the costs. That doesn't count the costs of hotels and airfares which would amount to about another 10,000$ plus his emergency surgery the night that he made it back to Seattle. Fortunately, those costs were also covered by insurance and he recovered:)....so happy ending , thank goodness.

My son developed an acute medical issue while onboard the Statendam. He was seen and treated several times before we had to leave the ship in Huku Hiva. The care while onboard was excellent and the bill was over 600$. The care in Tahiti was not good and the bill was 10,000$ I am happy to say that after nearly a year his insurance has covered the costs. That doesn't count the costs of hotels and airfares which would amount to about another 10,000$ plus his emergency surgery the night that he made it back to Seattle. Fortunately, those costs were also covered by insurance and he recovered:)....so happy ending , thank goodness.

And this is a good example why everyone should have insurance when they cruise/travel.

Glad your son recovered -- happy ending for you all.