everglade tour???

bmb

my friend is going on the dawn in about 3 weeks- she wants to know if anyone has done the everglade tour,but on there own and not with the dawn. since the dawn's tours are more expensive. if so, how was it? thanks again!:)

I assume u are talking about the airboat ride......Bring earplugs.....My parents live in FL and I have gone to the Everglades twice....There really is not that much to see.....Being into horticulture and the environment I found it somewhat interesting...my kids did not.....I have done the airboat ride to asmall island in the Everglades where Native Americans live.....the ride is very noisy....and we did get to see alligators up close and personal......

Yes, we rented a car in Miami and went to "GATOR Park"... Our guide was great. We did see only 1 small gator on the airboat tour but the scenery was beautiful. They at some point in the tour get going pretty fast. It was fun! After the airboat tour, there was a little educational show given by one funny guy...I think his name was Dave... It was GREAT! We actually got to hold a gator :eek: (with it's mouth secured)....that was great. :) The alligators that were penned, looked content and well taken care of. They had a beautful peacock roaming around.... He open his wings... Great photo. Doing this on your own also gives you time to go to Miami beach or do something else as well.

:confused: I'm so glad you asked and some answered this question. I'm traveling with wife and 2 children son (will be 14) and daughter 16. I am so confused as to what excursions they will enjoy at Port Canaveral and Miami.

They've already been to all the theme parks/water parks (disney, etc) and have done NASA.

The girls are thinking of doing the South Beach tour in Miami but I think my son and I would be bored.

Might others offer their thoughts on excursions for similarily aged children?

(please keep in mind, we are not interested in the theme parks or NASA).

Thanks In Advance

Beware of South Beach in the evenings.....its not really a place for young kids....its beautiful with some great restaurants and all the buildings have been brought back to their original grandeur....but clothing is kinda optional around the beach area.....and it is definitely a party place...Not sure what is offered as excursions, but a nice beach is Ft Lauderdale....lots of outdoor cafes too....

We (group of 8) were on the Dawn in June. We went on the Alligator Airboat tour while in Port Canaveral. We all thought that this particular tour was extremely overpriced for what we got. The shore excursion says it is in Central Florida's Everglades (it's not) and the tour is 2 1/2 hours. Well... the 2 1/2 hours includes the bus trip over and back, we were in the airboats about 30 minutes. We did not see lots of wildlife, birds or even a lot of alligators for that matter. IMHO, this tour is a waste of money. Try the one in Miami where you are really in the Everglades.

I *love* the Everglades, we have been 3 times and are planning another trip back. I do have to warn that we go in Jan-Feb because it gets REALLY full of mosquitoes in the summertime there. Still, I would be happy going there any time of year. I would personally suggest to go on a walking tour vs an airboat - you don't get to see much in an airboat, but if you can do the walking tours you see a TON of birds, gators, all sorts of great stuff.

I have my three travelogues online here -

http://www.lisashea.com/lisastrips/keys04/index.html

with a ton of photos. I suppose it depends on how much time you have, but if you can drive to Homestead, you're really at the entrance to all the really cool trails like the Anhinga Trail. I really recommend it. We took my sis the last time we went and she had a blast.

Archived