Recommendations?

Aubreysmom09

Just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Getaway for October 4th. Any companies that are recommended family in the lower 30's with a 3 year old. I looked at insure my trip dot com. So many options. I am a bit worried about Hurricanes, what should I make sure is in this plan. I don't normally get trip insurance, but I don't want to risk it with having a child now.

We buy out insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their site is very easy to understand. Their agents are knowledgeable and helpful. Call them and explain your concerns. They will suggest the coverage that is best for you.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

Agree with maddycat, we purchase all our insurance thru tripinsurancestore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you're looking into travel insurance.

However, just a little education for you since you say your major concern is a hurricane.

You are going on a cruise. Not a trip to Vegas. On a cruise,,, you're hotel room constantly relocates.

Why am I saying this?

If the cruise departs it's orginating city, and you are not on the ship,,,, insurance will not cover you for not making the ship.

There are certain things insurance will cover.

Your house got destroyed due to the hurricane and is uninhabitable? Most likely covered.

You couldn't get to the port by any means of commercial transportation? Trip delay may kick in IF you make an effort to catch up to the ship at your own expense to be reimbursed later.

Hurricane hits the port city and you can't get off the ship on the scheduled day to disembark? Need new airline tickets, hotel, meals, etc. You pay up front and insurance may reimburse you.

Hurricane is in the area of your selected port stops? No problems at all. The cruiseline will just change iteneraries and go to ports where the hurricane won't be.

Bottom line is that if a hurricane is scheduled to hit your area,,, you can't just throw up your arms and say you're cancelling and expect a refund. On the other hand,,, if you purchasea policy with a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider, you can play that card if you choose to cancel at the last moment. However,,, for that rider to take affect, you must cancel up to 48 hrs. prior to departure PLUS most policies only reimburse 75% of covered amount.

Hope some of this helps. Travel insurance is great to have,,,, but it's not a catch all protection plan.

With the Hurricanes I'm a bit worried about both. I live 1 mile from the Chesapeake Bay, and 3 miles from the Atlantic. If a hurricane comes my way I have to get my house prepared. I also have pets I have to worry about, and the likely hood of our kennel taking them is slim. I know the ships can change ports. What happens if our flights get canceled due to a storm? All the other cruises I have been on I haven't had insurance. I didn't worry about medical because I was young, and in the Navy. Now I own a house, and have a small child.

With the Hurricanes I'm a bit worried about both. I live 1 mile from the Chesapeake Bay, and 3 miles from the Atlantic. If a hurricane comes my way I have to get my house prepared. I also have pets I have to worry about, and the likely hood of our kennel taking them is slim. I know the ships can change ports. What happens if our flights get canceled due to a storm? All the other cruises I have been on I haven't had insurance. I didn't worry about medical because I was young, and in the Navy. Now I own a house, and have a small child.

If the possibility of a hurricane coming is your biggest concern, then your best bet is to make sure the policy you purchase has a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider.

There are some limitations with this though.

1. The policy has to be purchased within X number of days of initial trip deposit.

2. If you use this portion of the policy, you must cancel 48 hrs. Prior to beginning of trip.

3. Reimbursement will not be a 100% cash refund. Depending on policy, it might only be a 75% future cruise credit.

If number 1 is an issue, some cruiselines insurance policies include cancel for any reason automatically. Carnival is one cruiseline that I'm aware of that does this.