Would you avoid the Glory because of new menu?

thanna

We are just off the Glory and I think you have to look at the cruise in it's totality before making a decision, not just the MDR menus.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food and my hubby ranked it as the best food he's had on any cruise (it was his 8th), inclusive of the buffet, deli, Guy's burger joint (to die for burgers) and the blue iguana cantina (delicious tacos and burritos).

Have a look at the itineraries and the cost and make your decision from there!

Jill

I thought the food was better than my cruise on Pride in sept.

Also, unlike the past where this was a special request, one could now get a grilled chicken breast with a side of green beans and a kale salad right off the menu. I think that is a little more flexibility when you are trying to stay away from the fried and high calorie food. But I know this is a pointless argument.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure what a fine dinning restaurant is. What path has Cunard taken in the cutback field?

I was on the QM2 in October and it had to be the worst food of all my 86 cruises. This was in the Britannia Restaurant. The cuts of beef were tough. Most dishes were lacking any kind of flavor to them. I ordered shrimp cocktail and the sauce tasted like pure ketchup. Purely disgusting! I spoke with the maître d' and he apparently couldn't do anything about it. The food in the King's Court buffet had more flavor to them but I like the experience of the dining room. When I went through customs/immigrations the only question asked by the officer was "How as the food." When I told him it was bad he said that he hears that a lot. I'm not such a fan of Carnival's food but except for the tiniest lobster tails I've ever seen my recent Carnival Splendor cruise's food was much more enjoyable.

It's not just about the table cloths. Its about all the cutbacks recently; its about the constant cutbacks for the past couple of years just piling on top of each other.

People are fed up with it. All these cut backs with very little to nothing offered in return. Fares aren't being lowered with CCL whereas other cruise lines are ADDING things for cruisers and keeping their fares the same or even lowering them.

I agree. It's silly the way some people want to turn it into being about one thing and trivialize the overall dissatisfaction with the changes. I have not seen the tables without the linens in person, but I have seen pictures posted and it looks ridiculous. If I want to go to a cheap diner, I can live with that, but for a nice dinner I expect linens. I would never consider serving a nice dinner in my home on a bare table, why should I have that on a cruise I"ve paid for? And more importantly, the changes with sharing food, and Carnival bringing out dishes that they decide to serve me rather than what I order is not acceptable to me. Unfortunately the changes will start on Liberty the week before I sail.

We are trying to decide between the Glory or the Dream for a late January Western Carib.. With all the negative feedback on the new menu, I am temped to avoid it. Am I over-reacting?

I must admit, after reviewing a fellow cruise critics post of the Conquests menus everday, i was really excited to get on the glory in Jan as the mdr menu looked loaded with good options. With the new menu, i dont think it has as many intriguing items per nite but im willing to give it a try.

I also wish people that complain about the food would be more specific. We all have diff palettes but im not going to complain about a dish i tried with a 50/50 chance of liking it. Im just happy the opportunity was there to give it a try which has been limited with the new menu.

I agree. It's silly the way some people want to turn it into being about one thing and trivialize the overall dissatisfaction with the changes. I have not seen the tables without the linens in person, but I have seen pictures posted and it looks ridiculous. If I want to go to a cheap diner, I can live with that, but for a nice dinner I expect linens. I would never consider serving a nice dinner in my home on a bare table, why should I have that on a cruise I"ve paid for? And more importantly, the changes with sharing food, and Carnival bringing out dishes that they decide to serve me rather than what I order is not acceptable to me. Unfortunately the changes will start on Liberty the week before I sail.

I have not been on CC in a while but heard about the changes, I agree with you and those who oppose the removal of linens and the Applebees service approach to what was once a classy dining experience. I am a platinum member and have seen the changes over the years. Many people will accept it and like it but my family eats with a tablecloth at home. What irks me the most is that you know the direction this is all going in- a few years down the road Carnival will probably attempt phase two -remove the waiters in the dining rooms and there will be cruisers saying that's fine, I have no problem getting my own food.

I'm apprehensive about the new dining experience because we are sailing on Liberty a week after the rollout on Liberty.

However, I am going with a positive attitude and hope for the best.

I am definitely going to miss the cold soups & Creme Brulee.

Please let us know what you think. We are sailing Liberty in March. I know I won't starve, but, I will miss some old favorites. Guess I'll just have to order some Creme Brûlée pre-cruise!

Actually, the opposite is true for me, I would book the Glory because of the new menu. I hope it's rolled out to the Breeze in August when we sail. If not, I likely won't get it for some time as we are moving onto other vacations in 2015. Maybe 2016, we'll see what the menus look like then.

Avoid a ship due to the menu?

You gotta be kidding!!

What happens when it goes fleetwide?

Boycott?

When on a cruise ya gotta go with the flow!:D

Some people like their cuisine, ya gotta respect that. Look at it this way, the cruise lines know this and are using celebrity chefs to attract the foodie in all of us- it works in reverse as well. I would sail a different line if I didn't like the food on a ship for the same reason I wouldn't continue eating in a restaurant on land for 7 days when I don't like the food. To each his/her own.

What would you do if all cruise lines removed the table cloths? Stop cruising? This just seems so trivial to be a deal breaker-especially because so many have argued for more casual dress in the dining room. Casual dress/casual atmosphere. Elegant dress/elegant atmosphere. I think that is what is happening with this new process. The elegant settings WITH the table cloth are more formal for the evening it is intended to be. It seemed to work IMO

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I doubt this will ever happen. Some lines recognize that some people cover their tables at home, properly. The whole idea of going on a ship as elegantly designed as Princess without the added touch of tablecloth would make no sense. For what RCL invest in innovation, they would keep the tablecloths. Not everyone is going for the casual/cheap feeling.

OP- food is not a real consideration when I cruise. There will be something to be enjoyed, even without tablecloth:D I was not crazy about the food on my past Princess cruises but would not consider another line for my anniversary. Heck, I am going to be bored as well but need the elegance to celebrate the occasion.

Edited by Blk_Amish

As a Long time Carnival cruiser I have to say that the new menus are exciting to us. We don't cruise for food, but do appreciate quality of food. Over the past few years have noticed, like most long term cruisers, that the quality of food has diminished. The 3/4 inch prime rib has been reduced to 1/3 of an inch and no matter how fast they serve, is bound to be cold by the time they get it to you, and worse when you have to wait indefinitely for horsey sauce or gravy to make its way to the dish. In addition, the fat content has increased, and yes I know that the right amount of fat makes for a more tender piece of meat, but I am talking globs of fat, not marbling. Lobster is no longer Maine lobster. I could go on and on.

The new menu boasts of filet mignon and sirloin on different nights, and even though flat iron is offered on one night, it isn't the only cut of steak you can get on the cruise without paying for the steakhouse. (remember not all ships have a steakhouse)

The new menu also provide calamari every night which is a first, and a favorite for my husband and I.

My only concern is that the first reviews on the Glory are not very positive, but the menu itself was not so much a problem as the confusion of the service staff. It seems no one really knows how they "family style" dining is supposed to work.

If some that have commented are correct, I will defiantly have a problem with the "family style". I don't mind sharing the same bowl with the table but it had better come with a common serving utensil. Even if it were my direct family member, I would not want to share a bowl with Aunt Gertrude if she served herself first with a fork or spoon she had previously inserted in her mouth. (I really don't have a aunt Gertrude but you get my drift.)

What we are hearing is supposed to happen and what is actually being reported are two different things. We are told we can order individually and not share as opposed to reports that servers are putting down large bowls expecting all to share without a common serving utensil. I hope they get it together before I experience these new menus, as exciting as they seem.

I was on the QM2 in October and it had to be the worst food of all my 86 cruises. This was in the Britannia Restaurant. The cuts of beef were tough. Most dishes were lacking any kind of flavor to them. I ordered shrimp cocktail and the sauce tasted like pure ketchup. Purely disgusting! I spoke with the maître d' and he apparently couldn't do anything about it. The food in the King's Court buffet had more flavor to them but I like the experience of the dining room. When I went through customs/immigrations the only question asked by the officer was "How as the food." When I told him it was bad he said that he hears that a lot. I'm not such a fan of Carnival's food but except for the tiniest lobster tails I've ever seen my recent Carnival Splendor cruise's food was much more enjoyable.
who owns the QM2?

My last Carnival cruise the food was sub par at best.

As far as I'm concerned, any change in menu is a good thing.

Not too excited about the lack of table cloths because I feel it's too casual. There is no reason for anyone to show up at meals in anything besides shorts and tank tops, much like Applebees now.

If given the option, I'd sail Glory over a ship with the old menu. It's worth a try. Also then I could give a more educated opinion on the changes rather than just speculation.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Because we live in Orlando we have the benefit (and curse) of being picky about what cruise we take. The cost of the Dream and the Glory is about the same to us because we can have someone take us to Port Canaveral and not have to park there for a week. The ports are almost the same (Costa Maya vs Grand Cayman). So it really does come down to small things to make the difference. I do beleive the new menu is a small thing, but with all else being equal?