Just returned from the Queen Mary 2

Rileyspike

Thanks for the review, my partner and I were also on this cruise, our first time on the QM2 but not Cunard. It's interesting that you said it felt crowded. We were so surprised how busy everywhere was, and we just didn't expect this at all.

We struggled to find anywhere to sit and have a drink with our friends in the evening. One night we couldn't get a seat in the Commodore Club, there was nowhere to sit in the Chart Room , there was a quiz in the pub so we had to go the the ballroom, it kind of killed the evening a bit.

But, like yourself we had a nice time. We were slumming it in the Britannia, and our suite didn't quite look like yours!! But thanks for the video. It was nice to see how the other half live:):)

Our friends are vegetarians and they struggled a bit food wise, especially in the KC, but they made up for it at afternoon tea!! We weren't wowed by the food but it wasn't moan worthy, just ok.

Im glad you enjoyed the cruise but I don't think this short cruise showed the QM2 at her best. Normally the ship doesn't feel crowded, naturally bars get busy at peak times but never feel over crowded. I really recommend that you try a transatlantic crossing that way you get to see the QM2 at her best doing what she was built for :)

Very interesting review, Martin. Thanks for your observations. It looks like you only dined in the QG dining room in the evening, skipping all breakfasts and lunches there. Is that correct and due to time, or some other reason?

Very interesting review, Martin. Thanks for your observations. It looks like you only dined in the QG dining room in the evening, skipping all breakfasts and lunches there. Is that correct and due to time, or some other reason?

We only dined in the QG restaurant in the evenings for a few reasons really, we do use it for lunch on the first day of the voyage.

I really enjoy the formality of Cunard and getting dressed for dinner and having good food in the nice atmosphere of the QG restaurant. However we prefer to have a much more relaxed lunch, the KC on the QM2 or the lido on the QV/QE offer plenty of choice. Its so easy just to pop in a grab some soup, salad or a slice of pizza. Its not fussy just perfect for lunch. On a longer voyage we will also use the Golden Lion or have lunch in our suite.

We have breakfast delivered to the suite as its lovely to wake up throw on a dressing gown and find breakfast set up on the table waiting for you :)

We also don't want to use the same restaurant up to three times a day, there are so many choices for food on board. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't use the KC for dinner! The QG restaurant really does provide good food and a personal service but we save it for the evenings.

I too was on this voyage in an in-hull balcony cabin on deck four. I have to say it was not unexpected to find the ship busy as unlike most cruises/voyages,the weather, although good for the time of year, was not suitable for many to be out on deck so everyone was trying to find somewhere inside the ship.

After many times on Cunard this was the first time I was really disappointed in the food in Britannia, particular the choices. Where have all the interesting fish gone? We only had salmon, sole and once monkfish! No lobster, even on formal night, no venison, no escargot.... Perhaps I was spoilt by a cruise with Oceania, but I would have to think twice before another Cunard voyage now.

After many times on Cunard this was the first time I was really disappointed in the food in Britannia, particular the choices. Where have all the interesting fish gone? We only had salmon, sole and once monkfish! No lobster, even on formal night, no venison, no escargot.... Perhaps I was spoilt by a cruise with Oceania, but I would have to think twice before another Cunard voyage now.

All of those dishes were served on QE last month. More likely due to it being a mini cruise than a decrease in the quality of food served onboard in general.

I think mini cruises are completely different from the usual 7 days style cruises. Even on Princess on our four night cruise last month the one formal night was cancelled about four weeks before the cruise and no more formals on 4 nighters anymore on Princess line. It was a shame because many people weren't advised it was cancelled and went to the bother of packing formal wear. I only found out about it because of Cruise Critic. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...