Couple of excursion questions, December 21 sailing date

stormin22

We tend to do things really last minute around here (booked this trip about 3 weeks or so ago)..

We are on the Reflection, leaving Miami on the 21st. Heading to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Now I have been to St. Thomas and know its mostly shopping, not sure about St. Maarten and San Juan.

Looked at the really long PDF from Celebrity, did not really see much that seemed super interesting. We are generally more calm and don't like being the tourists on segways and the like (not putting you down, if thats your thing).

Has anyone ever used any of the non-celebrity providers? My mom wants to go visit the "old San Juan" area and wants me to take care of the arrangements. There seem to be a number of places in the area that offer private cars and tours, just curious if anyone has ever used the non-cruise people?

Also, if you have any other thoughts of things to do? Calm likely is not the right word, I am pretty adventurous and would prefer to explore a new are than the same place with the other 3k guests.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Chris