Trip Insurance

Yes. I bought insurance yesterday for a cruise we just booked for departure in early August. With most insurers, if you buy more than 10 days after making your initial deposit on the cruise, then the insurance won't cover you for pre-existing conditions or airline bankruptcy.

Also, I understand from these boards the insurance won't cover you for hurricanes already named when you purchase the policy, but I don't know the accuracy of that. Makes sense, though.

Yes, they won't cover loss due to existing storms. Insurance is not designed to cover and expected loss but is to insure against an unexpected loss. If everyone bought insurance only when they absolutely knew there was a good chance they'd need it, insurance companies couldn't turn a profit and thus wouldn't exist. The one exception to that rule might be flood insurance and, without the governments support and regulation, no insurance company would offer flood insurance since the only people who would purchase it would be those most likely to file a claim against it.

I believe you can purchase travel insurance right up until the night before you set sail. We generally don't purchase it until just before we make our final payment. At this point, neither of us have a pre-existing condition that would likely cause us to miss a cruise. There are sometimes other benefits to purchasing travel insurance at the same time you make your initial deposit (or within 10 to 15 days of the deposit) so I might be changing my ways.

Archived