Beverage Package Value

nyc511

I haven't sailed NCL in a couple of years, but I now see that they have alcohol beverage packages for about $49 a day with some restrictions. Most notably (for me) is the bottled beer under $5.50. Does anyone recall what types of bottled/canned beer they have available and what the cost may be? I usually drink Amstel Light or Miller Lite, and my recollection was that the Miller came in a pint sized can and cost more than the $5.50. I wouldn't want to purchase the plan only to find the 2 beverages I drink not included in it!! Thanks

Both Amstel and the Miller pints were included in the package. There were only 2 beers that were not included, Foster oil cans and the German wheat beer. The $5.50 cap is before the 15% tip that is added and reason you remember the beer costing more.

Edited by time2cruise1

Thanks for the reply -- that makes sense. Can I ask, does the 15% tip continue to apply for every drink consumed under the beverage plan, or just for the cost of the plan itself? I generally tip out my favorite bartenders myself because I know the 15% gets thrown into a common fund, but just want to make sure about the cost. Thanks again

I've gone back and forth on it and based on what I think my wife and I will drink, it's about a wash. If I have to really think about it that hard....I'll just pay by the drink and have the freedom to get whatever I want, whenever I want. If I spend an extra couple hundred during the trip, so be it.

Edited by Winston Wolf

The part we like about it is being able to try drinks we wouldn;t try and having drinks we might not have...like a minosa in the morning:)

Agreed, that's what makes it worthwhile, doesn't mean or shouldn't mean having to drink to serious excess:rolleyes:

I didn't see any wine on this list. Wine is included, no?

Yes, any wine by the glass under $10. On our cruise a few weeks ago, *all* the reds offered by the glass were $10 or less and all but 3 of the whites were under $10. There is also 1 or 2 sparkling wines that are under the $10 cap as well.

"Specialty" cocktails as well? e.g. daiquiris, margaritas, bloody marys, etc.?

Yeah - most of 'em - including the daily drink specials, too. There have been a couple folks who reported that they couldn't get a martini or whatever, but most of that was back when the program was newly introduced. The general consensus now is that mixed drinks made with liquors included in the program (see link above) are available under the UBP.

Great! Sounds like we should sign up. Do we have to do that ahead of time? Or when we get there? Too bad disembarkment day isn't included, from what I've just been finding out about the huge delays due to people getting on in Cozumel, a few drinks would be welcomed on that day!

You can sign up prior or do it the day you board. Might save some time to do it before. You have to call -- it's listed on the website but I'm almost positive you cannot order it there.

It is too bad disembarkation day isn't included. A little hair of the dog that morning would be welcome. Sadly, the bars are closed for everyone that morning - UBP or not.

Enjoy your time!

Obligatory UBP in action pic...

UBP2.jpg

It is too bad disembarkation day isn't included. A little hair of the dog that morning would be welcome. Sadly, the bars are closed for everyone that morning - UBP or not.

Personally I'm happy not to have to pay another $50 for disembarkation day… If you need it, you can always crack open the bottles of duty-free or port-purchased alcohol that will be back in your possession by then. ;)

While the UBP plan may be worth it to some who drink a lot of mixed drinks, IMO, the Corks & Caps program is over-priced and not worth it. 10 beers need to be drunk every day just to break even on the program. I couldn't believe how little cost differential there was between the two programs and yet you lose all the expensive hard alcohol on the Cork & Caps program. $350 a week (with tip) for the Corks & Caps, $395 for the the UBP (only a $45 difference). :(

While the UBP plan may be worth it to some who drink a lot of mixed drinks, IMO, the Corks & Caps program is over-priced and not worth it. 10 beers need to be drunk every day just to break even on the program. I couldn't believe how little cost differential there was between the two programs and yet you lose all the expensive hard alcohol on the Cork & Caps program. $350 a week (with tip) for the Corks & Caps, $395 for the the UBP (only a $45 difference). :(

The draw of Cork & Caps is more for wine drinkers, I'd think, since that's even more than cocktails.

I can't imagine making either package work for someone who's primarily a beer drinker. You'd be much better off going without the package and purchasing your drinks one-by-one. It's remarkably hard, much harder than I would have thought before sailing, to drink even $49/day in cocktails/wine much less beer. You have to keep in mind that you're paying $49 for embarkation day and port days where you aren't even on the ship all day, which means you likely have to "catch up" for those on sea days.

I've thought the same thing, not enough difference in price for the two packages.

The draw of Cork & Caps is more for wine drinkers, I'd think, since that's even more than cocktails. It's remarkably hard, much harder than I would have thought before sailing, to drink even $49/day in cocktails/wine much less beer. You have to keep in mind that you're paying $49 for embarkation day and port days where you aren't even on the ship all day, which means you likely have to "catch up" for those on sea days.

At $10/drink, that's only 5 drinks. Two glasses of wine with dinner, pre-dinner cocktail, after dinner drink, a couple at the show or nightclub afterwards, piece of cake. :D

I'm almost positive there were alcoholic drink specials on disembarkation day of my recent cruise on the Spirit, in Barcelona.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.