How much to take

romanpolitics*

Hi all,

I will be cruising to:

New Caledonia - Isle of Pines, Noumea, Lifou

Vanuatu - Port Vila, Wala, Champagne Bay

It will be my first cruise and my departure date is fast approaching so I'm starting to plan out money matters. I've heard AUD is accepted quite widely in Vanuatu but less so in New Caledonia, so I'm thinking perhaps to bring:

$AUD 200 + exchange the equivalent of $AUD 150 in VUV for Vanuatu, and

$AUD 300 for XPF for New Caledonia.

I will be in each port from about 9am-5pm on consecutive days.

Could someone help advise as to whether this is too much or too little? :) I don't want to waste too much in the process of converting cash! I realise the amount of money one takes depends a lot on what they want to do, so for reference I enjoy the odd bit of clothes shopping and I wish to buy a few bits and bobs as souvenirs for friends but I won't be spending a tonne on food or activities (however I would like to hire an all day taxi/bus at Vila).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in Noumea a few months ago, on transpacific cruise from Hawaii to Sydney, I had 1,100 XPF's from a previous holiday (I never cash the money in , as you never know when you might return to that destination)

As you would expect I spent that money in Noumea having a lot of fun.

Its better to have more than not enough, and of course, you can always use an ATM to get more out, if needed, plenty of ATM machines in Noumea.

And of course, you can always purchase items in many shops of Noumea with your credit card, just like in Australia. (there will be a small additional fee added to the transaction, just like anywhere else in the world)

Just come back from beautiful Champagne Bay. Gorgeous place. Lots of markets on the beach selling souvenirs and beach clothes. They happily take AUD in small denominations ie $5 & $10 notes. Photos with lizards etc are $3 each so bring gold coins too. The local tours are cheap $5-$10pp AUD to go to Blue Hole etc. You can ride an outrigger canoe on the beach , again $5 AUD per person.

Lifou, not much to do here. Swim at the main beach (free) or snorkel at Jinek Bay for a fee of $15 pp AUD. There are only a few market stalls here.

Noumea - we went on a tour to Amedee Island and paid for souvenirs in XPFs.

Just arrived home on 28.12.13

Isle of pines. Not much to do & souvenirs were dear. We took the local bus tour. $25 Aus p.p. Cash Aus dollars and loved it. Quaint and local flavour. Caves cost additional dollars I think $4 each Aus. But worth a trundle in the rainforest to have sticky. :)

Villa takes Aus dollars near port & some markets. We hired a cab $150 local dollars to go where we liked etc. I just used the port info and followed some of their recommendations. We were taken to a private village where we received a private show & chat etc loved that. Long story. :D That was $40 local each and we paid them $100 local for us pair. Loved that experience! :) we did the waterfalls $20 local dollars each & stopped & had local coffee and a plantation. Pretty much followed our nose! Were invited to a sand drawing demonstration at the museum, and interesting to see the princess cruise tour there. I was shocked what they paid for the tour :eek:. I think that was $10 local also for entry.

Port Villa was our fave destination. I have the taxi driver's card if you are interested. Lovely, friendly good English. :)