mosquitos in Belize?

gay head

We are going on tne Magic on December 29 out of Galveston and one of the ports is Belize.I keep reading all these posts saying to bring mosquito repellent and that people are covered with bites.I wanted to go to the beach on Geoffrys Cay or one of the other cays but afrer reading this I am thinking to just stay on the ship.Is there a beach you can go to where there are no mosquitos or sand fleas or are they everywhere?

Ee

I was at Lamanai ruins last December, got 12 really itchy bites in the arms and legs. Took over a months for the red swelling to finally go away. I had sprayed myself with insect repellents before going ashore, but they did not help one bit.

Wife and 2.5 year old daughter came with me on the excursion, and neither had any bites. Go figure.

We, party of 10, were in Belize the day before Thanksgiving on the NCL Darn Dawn, really rocky tender ride that the other lines abandoned. We did the River Safari and after that, we ate and waited an hour for the bus ride to the Zoo. The wait turned out to be 1 hour 45 minutes instead. We used 3 cans of OFF to try and keep the FLY bites to a minimum. Did not work at all. We were covered in bites, itched and scratched for a week. I contacted the Zoo and was told it had to run its course. We tried Benadrl, Caladryl, Fels Naptha etc, all to no avail. Honestly, we had blood on our legs.