Laundrette on the Queen Elizabeth

sarar

Yes, including little detergent packets. Take a book so you can wait for a machine - free means popular.

Or, to while away the time, why not start a new laundry rumour? The one about the two women fighting in the laundry and/or turning up in the other one's dress is getting stale.

Or, to while away the time, why not start a new laundry rumour? The one about the two women fighting in the laundry and/or turning up in the other one's dress is getting stale.

Wait, I find the arguments entertaining. And that dress did NOT match well with that woman's eyes at all. And for the other one, cover those knees for gosh sakes. ewe.

Can anyone tell me, is the laundrette free on the Queen Elizabeth?

as noted, it is. 3 double decker washer/dryer units per passenger deck.

They are extremely popular, so it takes some planning (scheming) to get in and out. Late evenings or early mornings are better, I think. Days at sea the most crowded.

Since I'm a reader, it's no problem staying with our load (although there was only one chair in the laundry on our deck). I did witness --and participate in-- some interesting intercultural activities while in the laundry. Conflicts were all related to the perennial public laundry problem of people leaving their load and then expecting it to still be in the machine long, long after the cycle had finished. In these situations you can be polite or your can be efficient. Efficiency always won.

I was involved in a couple of these myself. I cleaned out a washer (after waiting about 5 minutes for the clothes owner to arrive) and piled the load onto the table. A half hour later a tiny antique Japanese lady came in and was quite upset. She kept sniffing her load and saying "sour, sour," and shaking her head and glaring at me (as if the clothes were not exposed to the air sitting in the bottom of an empty washer).

OTOH, the Germans, Dutch and Scotts were quite efficient showing up 5 mins before the end of each cycle and smoothly handing the unit over to the next countryman in line.

A lot of retired Navy men from a number of countries were doing laundry for their families (Hint: Navy men are always a good choice, ladies. We can also cook.) , so we all chatted up the service. A couple of sailors had enlisted their grumpy sons for laundry duty.

For awhile the laundry was more like a NATO barbershop than a laundry.

OTOH, the Germans, Dutch and Scotts were quite efficient showing up 5 mins before the end of each cycle and smoothly handing the unit over to the next countryman in line.

So are you saying that the German, Dutch and Scots worked together to reserve machines for the club of three?

No wonder the EU works so efficiently

David.

So are you saying that the German, Dutch and Scots worked together to reserve machines for the club of three?

No wonder the EU works so efficiently

David.

more like organizing and then handing off to people in each travel group.

I think, in retrospect, we relied too much on the laundry and should have packed more of what Jane Austen called "small clothes."

I'm afraid the formal wear squeezed out the underwear in our packing.

more like organizing and then handing off to people in each travel group.

I think, in retrospect, we relied too much on the laundry and should have packed more of what Jane Austen called "small clothes."

I'm afraid the formal wear squeezed out the underwear in our packing.

I'd rather buy french or italian underwear. It requires lessspace compared to army shirts and nickers :p

On my recent QM2 voyage I found the laundry equivalent of reserving "sun loungers" leaving a couple of unwashed pillowcases in the washer and dryer....needless to say it didn't work I just removed them!

The machines do have times on them and I always seemed to get there too early so they were not very accurate. As my stateroom was the furthest from the laundrette I spent quite a lot of time there waiting for the load to finish, the sheltered balcony was great for drying clothes using a stretchy clothes line!

After our past experience with the DIY laundry on the QM2 and QE, we decided that the prices for the ship's laundry and dry cleaning services are well worth it if you place any value your time and mental heath. We will hand wash what we can in the cabin sink and hang them to dry over night in the shower stall, but send out everyting else. Where else can I launder my cotton tee shirts and have them come back pressed and on a hanger? :)

I am looking forward to experiencing the "laundry wars" on the QE! Things were quiet and peaceful in the laundrette on my last cruise (Disney), I want to see what the hype is all about on Cunard.:rolleyes:

Seriously, putting your unmentionable and socks in a mesh laundry bag is a good idea. It's easier on your clothes and the sock monster in the bottom of the washer has a much more difficult time eating one sock out of each pair.;)

Love it! Only been around now for 20 years so Time for a new one:):)

Love it! Only been around now for 20 years so Time for a new one:):)

The fights when a pensioner was caught throwing loads of tissue paper and gum in a machine

The fights when a pensioner was caught throwing loads of tissue paper and gum in a machine

;) were they inside the machine, throwing out the tissue paper and gum, or outside the machine, throwing it in! :eek: ;)