Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

We were scheduled in November of 2014... Just got the cancellation email. This is the 2nd cancellation this year. Bummed, It's about the fuel surcharge from the eastern seaboard, Carnival isn't making enough sailing out of there... so back to Miami where it's cheapest and most profitable for them. Looking at Royal Carribean cruises. :mad:

Edited by joymor

Im on the phone now. They told me my cruise was cancelled. November 1st San Juan to NY. She said she didnt get briefed as to why and is looking into it.

She actually just came back and said the November 1st has been chartered. Not sure I beieve that since clearly they told the PP something else.

We got the form letter about an hour ago telling us that the cruises will be cancelled.

They just got to the cancelling, and we got an official letter for the Jan 12 cruise that it is cancelled. We are awaiting the official cancel for the 1/20/15 the 1/28/15, and the 2/5/15 cruises.

So things are moving along and I am sure we will get the info on what the rebooking will be for the Splendor later.

Did you say they offered you $50pp OBC for the cancellation? That would be a plus as we are a family of 6(adults and 4 kids), Thank you

We got the form letter about an hour ago telling us that the cruises will be cancelled.

They just got to the cancelling, and we got an official letter for the Jan 12 cruise that it is cancelled. We are awaiting the official cancel for the 1/20/15 the 1/28/15, and the 2/5/15 cruises.

So things are moving along and I am sure we will get the info on what the rebooking will be for the Splendor later.

. . . :( Just off the phone with Carnival to see what our options were for the same time frame and the girl that answered my call said that she was unaware and had not received notification yet. . .

. . . She said she didnt get briefed as to why and is looking into it.

How very unfortunate for these front-line associates to have to deal with this form of internal communication.

Wait, Im booked on the November 1st leaving from San Juan back to NY and I havent gotten any notice. I just sent an email to my PVP. I did check my booking and its no longer coming up on Carnival.com though :mad:

OMG :eek: We were booked on that cruise as of last week but cancelled because DD can only get off work Thanksgiving week and we switched to Celebrity which is giving us free drinks

That's horrible!!

Why not? It would then make the cruise a round trip from NY, wouldn't it?

Bill

No because each cruise is treated separately. If you do a b2b you have to go through customs twice, do two fun passes, check-in to the ship twice, and get new S&S cards for the second leg--you get the idea.

What made the cruises valid as a b2b was that they went to and left from Puerto Rico, which as someone else noted because exempted from the PVSA in 2003.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

We were scheduled in November of 2014... Just got the cancellation email. This is the 2nd cancellation this year. Bummed, It's about the fuel surcharge from the eastern seaboard, Carnival isn't making enough sailing out of there... so back to Miami where it's cheapest and most profitable for them. Looking at Royal Carribean cruises. :mad:

We switched to Celebrity. Does this mean Carnival is pulling out of New York, too?? :eek::eek:

Royal will have a new ship in Bayonne in November 2014, I'm waiting for the prices to go down after the hype.

Just need to vent. Booked the Splendor out of New York a couple months ago for a very cheap 8 day cruise For Nov. 2014. We got an email today from Carnival stating it has now been cancelled due to repostioning Splendor to Miami. It leaves Nov 1 for a one-way to San Juan and then will reposition to Miami. DARN! I was actually looking forward to this.

This is the danger of booking over a year in advance I guess. We now have to find a similiar cruise. On the plus side, the letter did state for us to call them and they will work with us and it seems to even say if we book a silimar cruise with similar accomadations that they will keep our price, which would be awesome. We originally booked the 8 day cruise, with an inside cabin for $349 or close to that. We will see. We wil see.

If Splendor is leaving what is taking its place? Is Carnival going to sail out of NY anymore? Does anyone know?

WOW...first the Pride, and now Splendor. In Oct I was looking at Thanksgiving cruises for next year, and was considering Splendor, Pride, and Grandeur. I ended up going with Grandeur just because it had Key West. Since then, both Splendor and Pride have cancelled their NY and Baltimore cruises and moved the ships farther south. I also hope they come back soon, as it would be nice to have choices up here. We have only been on one cruise and loved it, but loved being able to drive to port just as much :). I have been told that Carnival plans to come back to Baltimore in 2015 - not sure if that means Pride or not, but I would assume that they will be back to NY as well (after they get scrubbers installed or waiver kicks in). But in the meantime, we have very few choices up here....lol

We switched to Celebrity. Does this mean Carnival is pulling out of New York, too?? :eek::eek:

Royal will have a new ship in Bayonne in November 2014, I'm waiting for the prices to go down after the hype.

The prices for Quantum are ridiculous. I am also hoping that these will come down in a year or two...

Did you say they offered you $50pp OBC for the cancellation? That would be a plus as we are a family of 6(adults and 4 kids), Thank you

My letter says $50/person, and it adds the condition: (this is word for word from the letter)

...In addition to protecting your rate on a comparable sailing (in similar accommodations) we will apply a $50 USD per person On board credit once you select another cruise......

So yes it is per person, and since we have been in this situation before, it usually means nothing can really change, and a "comparable sailing," is sometimes the catch.

We are booking the Splendor in the same cabin category in the same time frame so there is no problem.

From experience I can tell you if you change too much, be it the ship, the cabin category or port - things go downhill from there as far as them honoring the compensation.

So if you are deciding to stay on the Splendor around the same date in the same cabin category it will be honored.

You might have to fight a bit if you change a ship or cabin category.

I just rebooked this and here are the new dates:

Jan 11-18, 2015 (Eastern Caribbean)

Jan 18-25, 2015 (Eastern Caribbean)

Jan 25-1, 2015 (Western Caribbean)

Feb 1-8, 2015 (Eastern Caribbean) (Superbowl 2/1)

The prices are slightly higher, (they honored the lower prices on each cruise) and they are transferred the FCC's that were on the original cruises, and gave us the $100/per cabin as stated in the letter, and we kept the cabin we had booked for all 4 cruises.

So all is done, we just fly to Miami instead of NY, and we will not be wearing coats for the first 2 days of each cruise now.

Edited by 13607

Wait. Wasn't this the itinereary that was going to have people dancing down Fifth avenue?

Carnival is not even going to try to compete with NCL and RCCL?

Nope, Carnival's last cruise out of New York is late October.

I surprised they couldn't compete, I'm guessing they can't cruise out of New York and be a low cost carrier.

NCL must be taking over the market with the new Breakaway and starting November 2014, Royal Caribbean will have the brand new Quantum on the Jersey side in Bayonne. Neither of these ships are cheap to book, but people love them which is why they command more money than Carnival Splendor.

Edited by ibcnusoon

You actually still cruise Carnival?

Platinum!

That's why it hurts so badly to see the company now compared to how it was a few years ago.

We also live in NYC and a subway ride to the pier is pretty simple.

Edited by yogimax

I surprised they couldn't compete, I'm guessing they can't cruise out of New York and be a low cost carrier.

NCL must be taking over the market with the new Breakaway and starting November 2014, Royal Caribbean will have the brand new Quantum on the Jersey side in Bayonne. Neither of these ships are cheap to book, but people love them which is why they command more money than Carnival Splendor.

I think this has everything to do with their inability to get a waiver on the fuel supplement charge vs. competition. Pride sails almost full out of Baltimore every cruise, and I would be surprise to hear that Splendor isn't also sailing almost full. AFAIK, NCL and RCI either got their waivers or installed scrubbers, so their ships are not impacted by the new rules. I believe that once CCL gets the scrubbers installed, they will be back. There is too much money and people in the NE to ignore...lol

Timing coincides with the arrival of Quantum and is thus awfully suspicious. Pricing for the Splendor has been really low, particularly shoulder and off season, as it is... and I guess they just didn't care to compete at such a low price point with more tonnage arriving in the NYC market. I'm sure the fuel costs are not cheap for these East Coast sailings... a lot of nautical miles to cover.

I'll be curious to see if Carnival decides to stay in New York seasonally, or if they're gone for good.

Hi :(

I received the 'Carnival Splendor Cancellation Notice' this morning

as well stating that the Splendor's new home will be Miami instead

of New York.

We had a B2B booked. $600 deposit ($300 per person) per cruise,

for a total of $1,200.

Carnival gave me a full refund of the $1,200, no issues at all, however

a long time on the phone.

Here is a copy of the cancellation notice, and below that is our itinerary

that we had planned.

So sad... Sigh... :(

Scan_zpsef71979c.jpg

Our itinerary was for Feb 13, 2015 to March 1st 2015

Feb 13 ...............New York

Feb 14 ...............At Sea

Feb 15 ...............At Sea

Feb 16 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 17 ...............At Sea

Feb 18 ...............Antigua

Feb 19 ...............St Kitts

Feb 20 ...............St Thomas

Feb 21 ...............Puerto Rico ( Turnaround Day )

Feb 22 ...............St Kitts

Feb 23 ...............Antigua

Feb 24 ...............St Thomas

Feb 25 ...............At Sea

Feb 26 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 27 ................At Sea

Feb 28 ................At Sea

March 1 .............New York

No because each cruise is treated separately. If you do a b2b you have to go through customs twice, do two fun passes, check-in to the ship twice, and get new S&S cards for the second leg--you get the idea.

Yes I get the idea and this part is correct.

What made the cruises valid as a b2b was that they went to and left from Puerto Rico, which as someone else noted because exempted from the PVSA in 2003.

For the purposes of the PVSA it only matters where you first get on the ship and where you get off for the last time.

Bill

For the purposes of the PVSA it only matters where you first get on the ship and where you get off for the last time.

Bill

It is a mute point at this time. People want to discuss what options they have the the fact that they are moving a ship.

No one cares whether a itinerary that no longer exists is legal or not.

If the reason for the debate is your ego, that we can say you are a genius and move on. Please find another thread to lend your arguments to over laws of the sea, and leave this one to continue the intended information on moving the Splendor and what options are available to people to rebook or make plans for the future.

Thank you

So, the question is, what does NY get in April of 2015?

It look like nothing at this point. It would be nice if they had a seasonal ship there. Maybe they will move a smaller ship there, the prices have been pretty low out of NY for a while which is why we have been booking them.