Norwegian Dawn to Western Caribbean Question

RACRLS

We have an upcoming cruise on the Dawn to the Western Caribbean from Tampa and have a question for anyone who has just completed that itinerary. We are told on our paperwork that we will Tender in at Roatan. I was expecting we would be at the pier. Can anyone confirm whether your cruise tied up at the pier or anchored out and tendered in to Roatan?

We have an upcoming cruise on the Dawn to the Western Caribbean from Tampa and have a question for anyone who has just completed that itinerary. We are told on our paperwork that we will Tender in at Roatan. I was expecting we would be at the pier. Can anyone confirm whether your cruise tied up at the pier or anchored out and tendered in to Roatan?

The schedules are done well in advance so if it says tender that is what the ship will do.

What Ilovesailing said. We docked in roatan but we were one of only two ships that day and the Princess ship went to Carnivals dock at mahogany bay.

We were "in town" but it looked like only 1 ship could fit at the pier in town.

Thus unless its a carnival or one of their lines, any extra ships would have to tender.

I asked this same question about a month ago and received some very informative responses. Check out Tendering in Roatan on the Dawn.

The pier that NCL uses fits one ship and the Carnival pier can fit 2.

I have been there 5 times and never seen anyone tender, but never seen more than 2 ships at a time.

If they had too I guess they would.

After 15 times in Coz, I finally saw the first ship tendering there last year.

It was the NCL Dawn.

There's only space for one ship to tie up at the dock in Roatan, so if there's more than one in port, the later arriving ship would have to tender.

Don't worry about tendering, anywhere. They've got it down, and it's usually a smooth process that doesn't take that much longer than waiting in the lines you'll wait in to disembark to a pier.

There's only space for one ship to tie up at the dock in Roatan, so if there's more than one in port, the later arriving ship would have to tender.

That's not always the case. When we were there in 2006 on the Jewel we were tied to the pier for 2 hours then moved out for the other ship coming in. The rest of the day was by tender, but it was a very quick tender ride.

• 2 weeks later...
Says tender for us also in Roatan in Feb.

Hope we get there 1st to grab the spot over Carnival:D

NCL does not compete with Carnival for a berth. Carnival has it's own dock at Mahogany Bay that holds two ships. NCL uses Coxen Hole which is right down town, but only holds one ship. NCL shares that dock with other ships, but not Carnival.

Says tender for us also in Roatan in Feb.

Hope we get there 1st to grab the spot over Carnival:D

Plus the piers at any port are NOT first come first served...

When we arrived last in St. Thomas on the Dream, there was 2 Carnival ships and 1 RCCL tied up at the main pier, Oasis was tied up across the bay and we docked next to her.

An NCL ship was sitting in the middle of the harbor, already tendering, when we arrived. (2 hours after them)

Saw the same in another port, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Usually if a line has only one slot for two ships, they always choose to dock the larger ship for expediancy sake.

Bill

The schedules for January and February in Roatan are showing three ships in port including NCL Dawn. One is a Princess ship so it will dock at Carnivals pier at Mahogany Bay. The other two ships are the NCL Dawn and the MSC Poesia. As a previous poster stated I believe the logic of the ship with more passengers docks where as the ship with fewer passengers tenders.

The Poesia has 3,605 passengers where the Dawn has 2,224 passengers.

The schedules for January and February in Roatan are showing three ships in port including NCL Dawn. One is a Princess ship so it will dock at Carnivals pier at Mahogany Bay. The other two ships are the NCL Dawn and the MSC Poesia. As a previous poster stated I believe the logic of the ship with more passengers docks where as the ship with fewer passengers tenders.

The Poesia has 3,605 passengers where the Dawn has 2,224 passengers.

ports.cruisett dot com has the Dawn and Princess listed

MSC Poesia isn't listed and couldn't find their itin. for Roatan in Feb.

Where did you find that out from?

The schedules are done well in advance so if it says tender that is what the ship will do.

Not true!

We were on the Dawn last November (2013) and the previous November (2012), it said we would tender in Roatan . We docked both times.

Not true!

We were on the Dawn last November (2013) and the previous November (2012), it said we would tender in Roatan . We docked both times.

From your lips to the Good Luck Gods ears!... :D

Edited by Hey Wang