Cruising and Blue Jeans

wrecks

There have been so many posts in regard to the wearing of jeans (at any time) on cruises, I now am required to post my opinions. Why and what are my qualifications? Because I cruise and I plan my cruise(s). I am also wordy, so if you don't like rambling you won't want to read this. My DW and I just returned from Alaska on the Sapphire Princess; cruising from Sunday, July 3 thru Sunday July 10 out of Seattle. Just as enjoyable as all our other cruises - but not warm. On the formal nights I would estimate that 85% of the men wore suits and ties with the occasional sports coat and slacks. Tuxes were 10% and tie-less were the remaining, or 5%. The women were exceptional as usual, I envy their ease of looking good. On our first formal night, in one group of four, one husband wore Dockers and one wore jeans. During the evening we asked our head waiter why Princess would allow this 'wearing of jeans?' He gave us a fifteen minute infomercial why - and I will now get into the reasoning behind jeans in the dining room on formal nights, kinda, in a minute. Most Princess information will not mention jeans in the dining room, but the pre-cruise documents include a "Cruise Answer Book" which states jeans and halter tops are not permitted in the dining room (not limited to formal night). Our head waiter told us that after 9-11 the cruise industry was hit hard (not unlike my business!) and they suffered. They are now looking at the 'word of mouth' advertising and told us that if someone was asked to leave the dining room because of their dress that they would never recommend cruising as a vacation and certainly not on Princess! So on our last cruise, jeans were permitted, at any time, anywhere, by Princess. I can only figure that there are exceptions to every rule based upon those enforcing the rule. So, I'll be my policeman, you be your policeman and we'll se what Princess does in the future.

By the by, my meal and my cruise were not ruined.

I have to admit, cruises to Alaska seem to be a bit more relaxed then any other we have taken. We had a man at our table on our cruise to Alaska that thought formal meant flannel shirt buttoned all the way up, and this was 11 or 12 years ago.

You are all probably sick to death of Jeans questions but I haven't seen the following question answered here. May I wear jeans in the dining room at breakfast and lunch? I promise not to wear them at dinner.:) I haven't been on a Princess cruise since my Hurricane Juliette Panama Canal Sept 01 disaster, but I thought I remembered being quite casual in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. I'll be leaving in a few weeks for the Golden's London to NY cruise and I haven't received any doc's or anything else regarding attire.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Aloha,

Matt

Matt, You can wear jeans whenever you like, the only ones to notice, or for that matter, even care, will be a small minority of your fellow passengers who do not approve of them.

Cheers,

Peter

May I wear jeans in the dining room at breakfast and lunch? I promise not to wear them at dinner.:)
There's no problem at breakfast and lunch - nor indeed even with shorts and T-shirts AFAIK.

But there will be a majority of your fellow cruisers who appreciate your courtesy and respect in respect of dinner. I apologise for the fact that I have fellow countrymen who seem to think that it's OK to ignore clearly-stated rules that they happen to dislike.

That's quite alright, I neither require, nor need you to make apologies for my opinions. I, like millions of others, tend to disregard those CLEARLY STATED rules on a daily basis when they serve no useful purpose and are never enforced and never will be.

Cheers,

Peter

I could really care less what others wear in the dining room! If someone at my table wore jeans would I think less of them? No! I am on a cruise to relax, have a great time, and not be bothered, offended (never understood the "offended" word) put off, etc. by what others wore, frankly it really is none of my business what others wear, and it should not be other people's business what I wear!

You know, we go round and round on this and it always ends up the same way, a locked thread. We know what the Princess guidelines state. We understand the intent. Whether or not we choose to go along is a personal decision.

We have no authority over whether or not those who ignore the guidelines are permitted to be seated. I can't do anything about it, any more than I can do anything about people who run red lights or permit their young children to ride in cars without any restraint. There are people with the task of dealing with these situations. They are called Maitre d'. If they do enforce the guidelines, great, I'll show my appreciation, and if they don't, c'est la vie. This is nothing that is going to ruin my vacation. I will derive some pleasure from the fact that those who tell me that I should not be offended by or care about how others might dress will be offended themselves if they even suspect that I'm thinking the slightest bit less of them, whether or not I've even taken the time to notice them.

You know, we go round and round on this and it always ends up the same way, a locked thread. We know what the Princess guidelines state. We understand the intent. Whether or not we choose to go along is a personal decision.

We have no authority over whether or not those who ignore the guidelines are permitted to be seated. I can't do anything about it, any more than I can do anything about people who run red lights or permit their young children to ride in cars without any restraint. There are people with the task of dealing with these situations. They are called Maitre d'. If they do enforce the guidelines, great, I'll show my appreciation, and if they don't, c'est la vie. This is nothing that is going to ruin my vacation. I will derive some pleasure from the fact that those who tell me that I should not be offended by or care about how others might dress will be offended themselves if they even suspect that I'm thinking the slightest bit less of them, whether or not I've even taken the time to notice them.

Rob, could not be better said, thanks:)

Linda

Archived