snorkling at Chankanaab Park? Dzul Ha?

vmom

Going to stop in Aug.

How is the snokling in Chankanaab Park?

We were debating on a snorkle ship or just taking a taxi to Chankanaab.

I've heard that Dzul Ha is good for snorkling but thought Chankanaab might have more to do.

Also, If we do Dzul Ha...Can we spend the day at the Dzul Ha Beach Club? If so what is it like? Costs?

Or should we just do a boat snorkle?

We did a 2 reef snorkel tour on 7/8 with Eagle Ray divers. Dzul Ha is AMAZING!!! There was a ton of fish, some came so close I tried to touch them, but couldn't.

We also snorkeled Chakanaab, which has more coral and was very interesting.

Don't know anything about Dzul Ha beach Club.

See my review below about ERD/Paradise Beach

We have been both to Chankanaab and Dzul Ha on two separate cruises. At Chankanaab, yes,you will have more options: the dolphin and sea lion swims (most add't cost), intro. to scuba diving, snuba (4 in our party LOVED this), snorkeling, food, lockers, restrooms, and beach chairs. Snorkeling is pretty good.

We did Dzul Ha just 2 weeks ago and loved it. I have posted a longer review on this post; do a search under my name, or search for "Dzul Ha." I recommend going to http://www.cozumelinsider.com and printing out the coupon for free entrance to Palmar Estate Beach Club, which lies directly across a narrow street from Dzul Ha. The attendant took my coupon, pointed out the large and clean restrooms, gave us a key for a locker, and took chairs to the (very rocky but beautiful) beach for us. We ordered food later, which I recommend, simply because you have gotten in free and have access to their facilities. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. He made the guacomole FRESH!!

Snorkeling was great at Dzul Ha, but I recommend wearing fins as the current can cause you to drift pretty far. No current close to shore, but the better fish and coral are further out.

Dzul Ha itself does have a beach club right next to Palmar's strip of beach. They also serve food - it is free to use their beach, but again I'd feel like I should order some food. Still, I'd go to Pamar because the facilities are so nice.

Have a great time!

Debbie

We went to Chankanaab last visit to have my teenagaers swim with the dolphins, which was fantastic. We spent the rest of the day at their beach. The snorkeling was the best we had. Just standing at the edge beautiful fish would swim around you. We plan on making Chankanaab a destination in a few weeks. Either way, how can you go wrong in Cozumel!

We snorkeled at Dzul Ha on Saturday morning, as they prepared for the storm. In my opinion the snorkeling is better at Dzul Ha than at Chankanaab. BUT you wouldn't want to hang out all day at Dzul Ha. It is very quaint and rustic, but there really isn't a beach there. It is closer to the cruise ship (cheaper cab ride), free admission, and much less of a hassle than Chankanaab. IF you ware most interested in snorkeling, you can't beat it. They rent lockers for $2.00. Carnival uses this beach for it's ATV & Snorkeling and Jeep and Snorkeling tours. The two groups that came through were pretty small and gone in about an hour.

We snorkeled for a few hours then headed back to the ship for lunch. After lunch we took a taxi tour of the island. I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH!!!!! The back side of the island is rugged and beautiful. To visit Cozumel without seeing it would be a shame. The tour takes 2 hours and the driver will stop at whatever beach clubs or bars/restaurants that you want.

We are going to the Palmer Beach resort when we come in on the Glory week after next. Last time we rented a car and went around the whole island. It was beautiful and fun to just go on our own schedule. We also spent time at Paradise Beach - no snorkling but the place is great. I loved the mats and the water toys. Food/drinks were cheap and good. Very clean. When we went it was still free but I think there is a charge now.

We snorkeled last week at Chankanaab. The snorkeling was good. It was better than we had in Cancun, but not as good as we had in Roatan. Lots of fish, including a couple of nurse sharks. It was fairly easy snorkeling. We stayed in the water a couple of hours without getiing tired or drifting too much. You could stay fairly close to the shore and still see a lot.

Occassionally we got hit by a real cold current, which you couldn't see through.

It was a good spot for a first time snorkeling, to get our fins wet, so to speak.

The staff were very friendly. The cab driver shoved us out of the cab so fast, so he could get back and get another fare, that I didn't notice my snorkel bag was still on the seat. The staff at Chankanaab tried all afternoon to track down the right cab so I could get the equipment back. Unfortunately, they were never able to find it.

Going to stop in Aug.

How is the snokling in Chankanaab Park?

We were debating on a snorkle ship or just taking a taxi to Chankanaab.

I've heard that Dzul Ha is good for snorkling but thought Chankanaab might have more to do.

Also, If we do Dzul Ha...Can we spend the day at the Dzul Ha Beach Club? If so what is it like? Costs?

Or should we just do a boat snorkle?

Hola,

Most of the boat trips that I have researched are too short to suit my better half. When she snorkels, she is there for the day. It is none of this 1 1/2 hour crap for her. It is a shame that they have some fantastic reefs to explore and only give you a couple of hours, and that includes travel time.:( We went to Chank on our last trip and would recommend it to anyone. This trip we are going to Dzul Ha unless someone comes up with a longer boat tour. Anyone? Huh?

At this point, after Hurricane Emily, your best bet may well be a snorkel excursion rather than snorkeling at either Dzul Ha or Chankanaab. It's my understanding that both of those areas were hit pretty hard and, depending on when you go in August, it's likely that they would not have had time to recover quite yet.

If you're looking for a long snorkeling excursion, I would recommend the 3-reef trip with Eagle Ray Divers. That trip would take you to 3 of the following reefs: Palancar, Colombia, Santa Rosa Shallows, Cardona, Paradise, Chankanaab or Dzul Ha.

What do you mean by a snorkel excursion? One that is from the cruise ship? I am going next week on carnival miracle and will be in cozumel on Friday 7/29. Please explain more about what kind of damage the reefs have sustatined and your recommendations. I want to snorkel, not scuba, and I dont care much about hanging around on a beach as part of an excursion. I dont mind booking with a reputable independent operator - usually smaller groups that way. Last time in Cozumel we booked a Celebrity cruise excursion and ended up snorkeling partically right near the cruiseline pier for a short time and then stuck on a "party boat" for an additional hour. That was a mistake. Most people were more interested in drinking than snorkeling. What are some better options?

Sorry. By snorkel "excursion," I just mean a snorkel trip by boat and not necessarily through the cruise ship. Lots of great dive shops on the island that are not affiliated with the cruise ships where you would have small groups.

As I mentioned, Eagle Ray Divers provides snorkel trips and they keep their groups to between 8 and 12. The 3-reef trip often will take you to reefs that are not accessible by shore. You would do 2 reefs (about 45 minutes to an hour at each) and then stop at one of the beach clubs for lunch. Then, back on the boat for a 3rd reef. It's not a party boat by any stretch of the imagination. The emphasis is on the snorkeling and the guides do a great job of pointing things out.

By reef damage, I just mean that the sea churned up the sand and some of the coral (staghorn coral in particular) may have been broken. It is my understanding that the folks from the national marine park and the dive shops have already started "cleaning up" the reefs. I do not know what all that entails. But, I do know that since Cozumel's reef system is the 2nd most significant in the world (second to the Great Barrier), that they will take care of it and make sure it is beautiful and, more importantly, healthy.

I don't want to discourage anyone from either Dzul Ha or Chankanaab. Considering there are already crews cleaning up the reefs, I would imagine they'll be fine in the next few weeks.

If you're interested in Eagle Ray Divers, their website is: http://www.eagleraydivers.com/Snorkel.htm

Hey...thanks all for the advice. I didn't even think of the impact the hurricanes would have on the parks and reefs...duh!...

If Chanakaab park is closed down for the next month (our cruise is 8/13) then maybe a snorkle from the boat would be our best option.

Do you think Dah Zu's snorkle from shore would be affected by the storm also?We could go to there and to the beach resort that was mentioned earlier in this post.

Thanks...you guys are great!

I'm confused about Palmar Estates and Dzul Ha. Some say they are next to each other and share a beach, and some say they are across the street from each other. I looked at a map and it looks like Palmar Estates is not on the beach. Can anyone help clear this up, or am I missing something?

Palmar Estate is across the street from Dzul Ha. The street is a narrow lightly traveled road. Palmar Estate has a great pool, chairs, lockers, food, restrooms and view of the sea. Dzul Ha is on the beach side of the road. It too has chairs, food etc. We had a great day at both. The shorkleing was great and is the same area for both places. Palmar Estate is quiet and a great place to refresh in a great frech water pool. Enjoy them both.

Archived