Where to Snorkel on my own in Grand Cayman without a group excursion?

GaTo

Hey guys i'll be visiting Grand Cayman aboard the liberty next month and the wife and I have decided to do break in our brand new gear with some snorkeling at each port of call.

For some of the ports we have an excursion planned so we'll have limited time to snorkel but we still want to try.

The catch is we are wanting to go out on our own for the snorkeling. So my question to the seasoned vets out there is where are the good snorkeling spots in cozumel for those that want to go out on their own? Also i'm trying not to do an excursion because I just don't want to shell out the extra cash just to go snorkeling, so the lower the price the better :D

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

-Gato

In Grand Cayman when you get off the tender turn to your right and walk to Eden Rock for very good shore snorkeling.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Cozumel, take a cab to The Money bar for 10.00 p/p. Its free here if you buy some food and drinks.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Edited by caribsun

In Grand Cayman when you get off the tender turn to your right and walk to Eden Rock for very good shore snorkeling.

Cozumel, take a cab to The Money bar for 10.00 p/p. Its free here if you buy some food and drinks.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Is Eden rock a beach? Would you say it's rocky or sandy there? How far out from the shore would I have to go?

I've been told about the money bar so I'm going to check it out for sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

Sent from the greatest iPhone of all -- mine ;)

Is Eden rock a beach? Would you say it's rocky or sandy there? How far out from the shore would I have to go?

I've been told about the money bar so I'm going to check it out for sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

Sent from the greatest iPhone of all -- mine ;)

No beach at Eden Rock, this is why there is good snorkeling here. Spend some time snorkeling then grab a cab to 7 Mile Beach.

As you enter the water you will see fish not far from the steps.

Edited by runner15km

This pic shows the distance from Eden Rock to the ship (via water, anyway!). You can barely see the entrance ladder at the right of the flagpole and it is all rock between the wall and the ladder. It is a bit of a swim out to the reef and there is a spectacular drop off out there on the other side! For freebie snorkeling it is pretty good, we rented a locker and made the total cost about $7 for our expenses in Grand Cayman! We've actually done this a couple of times now - we love GC but by shore snorkeling we've almost made it the most inexpensive port we visit!

P1010324-M.jpg

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Eden Rock is so convenient and Paradise Restaurant/Bar with an outdoor area overlooking the water is next door in case you get hungry or thirsty. :)

LuLu

~~~~

20 groups 'in the know' leave the tender landing

19 stop at Eden and do their thing - very enjoyable snork' but sometimes bumping into others from the ships .

1 goes the extra 1/2 mile to Sunset House

does not see another cruiser

non-snork's use the pool (no pool at Eden ...)

all enjoy "My Bar" (IMO WAY better than P' Grill ... but P'Grill ain't BAD)

.>.>.>.

Capt. BJ,

We are thinking of taking a cab to Smith Cove Bacadere first to do some snorkeling, then walking to Sunset House to do some snorkeling, and then have lunch and drinks at my Bar before heading back to the ship. Does this sound feasible? If so my question is about Sunset House. Do you have to check in with anyone when you get there? Is there a place to leave your stuff such as lockers?

Thanks for any advice.

19 stop at Eden and do their thing - very enjoyable snork' but sometimes bumping into others from the ships .

.>.>.>.

Teach me the way Captain BJ, how's the reef life there?

We are thinking of taking a cab to Smith Cove Bacadere first to do some snorkeling, then walking to Sunset House to do some snorkeling, and then have lunch and drinks at my Bar before heading back to the ship. Does this sound feasible? If so my question is about Sunset House. Do you have to check in with anyone when you get there? Is there a place to leave your stuff such as lockers?

Very doable .. plenty of folks staying at Sunset will walk down the Smith's for a while. Not far at all. At Sunset no need to 'checkin', just walk down the main driveway towards the water and u'll run into My Bar and the dive shop is right there too. If you don't need rental gear just go for it. However I recommend you DO stop at the dive shop as they have a map of the reef area and will be happy to give you a briefing and show you the way to their 'sea pool' a good way to get a more 'controlled entry' to the water if your skills are rusty.

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

The dive shop has lockers and divers staying there get one for the duration. If there are left overs they do rent them but no gar'tee there. However in all my years of diving there I have NEVER had anyone mess w/ my stuff left behind while 'down'. All the shore divers tend to leave stuff in a bag on the shore and they only time my stuff was moved was when it was getting wet. OR - bring a friend ... they'll enjoy the bar watching your stuff while you get wet! And if they buy a beer or soda and ask if they can use the pool I've never seen anyone told no . . (p.s. no lockers or anything else at Smith's)

Teach me the way Captain BJ, how's the reef life there?

The way is about 1/2 mile south of town ... pass Eden Rock and you'll find it on the right. This picture is taken from Sunset looking north over the Sea Pool. Look carefully and note a dive boat to the right of the blue/white cruise ship. That boat is on Devil's Grotto at Eden Rock, a pp photo showed the cruise ships from Eden dive shop

100_0110_zps8c14384e.jpg

The 'sea life' is going to be very similar as the locations are basically the same reef. Some fish hang in certain areas of course ... but are free to travel as well. Sunset is closer to the 'wall' and in fact the Atlantis Sub operates at the south end of the Sunset area .. if you go to the wreck, you may be a visited by the sub . . . you CAN do a deep wall dive from the shore here, but it is a bit of a swim ... nothing like the mile plus fm 7 Mile Beach tho.

The Sunset House web site is VERY complete and has menus for My Bar, maps, rental gear prices, info about the dive site and and and. Check it out ...

SunsetHouse.com

Capt. BJ,

Thanks for any advice.

We always just walk to Smith Cove, rather than paying a cab. It's a 30 minute walk, just watch the narrow street. Smith Cove only has a 2-stall bathroom hut and an outdoor shower. Couple of picnic tables around hut nowhere to put your stuff, as BJ said. Last time there in October we saw 12 people. Fave beach.

ImageUploadedByForums1388521728.252192.jpg.8e7d4aff796d3ca0638736175a57511c.jpg

Email communication from Sunset House is top notch, super friendly and helpful. Not that BJ can't answer all your questions. ;) Be sure to try the conch fritters and a cold Caybrew. My fave!

Also recommend popping into the little craft house on the opposite side of the road from Smith Cove/Sunset House. Lovely store if you're looking for some souvenirs that aren't junky.

ImageUploadedByForums1388521682.522536.jpg.eccdb62c1773718221e2a6f10c727a99.jpg

.>.>.>.

I am interested..... but can you snorkel at Sunset House? Their website only talks about diving...

Hello All,

Could someone share exact walking directions to Sunset House? I think it's a right after leaving the tender are...is that it? I've never been to Grand Cayman and am unfamiliar with the port area.

Thanks!

leave tender and proceed to main road

turn right

about 3/4 mile (depending on which tender landing you use) you'll see

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

the sign anyway. dd may or may not be there . . .

you can review the entire island via Google Earth

d6be20ca-1c2c-4bbe-80bc-6933f9d39b30_zps35c96627.jpg

zoom in and you'll find Sunset

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

leave tender and proceed to main road

turn right

about 3/4 mile (depending on which tender landing you use) you'll see

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

the sign anyway. dd may or may not be there . . .

you can review the entire island via Google Earth

d6be20ca-1c2c-4bbe-80bc-6933f9d39b30_zps35c96627.jpg

zoom in and you'll find Sunset

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

Thank you so much, Capt! I was originally going to suggest that our group visit Eden Rock, but your reviews have convinced me go that extra 1/2 mile to check out Sunset House instead. Thanks for the tidbit about the pool. One in our crew isn't big on snorkeling, so she can hang out there if she's not up to joining us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Capt - how big is the beach area at Sunset House? DH and I are going with about 6 - 8 others...maybe 10 - 12 if we pick up stragglers.

I know DH and I will want to snorkel - I think they might just want to enjoy the beach/pool/bar. I'm guessing we should bring own towels too? Do they have lounge chairs on the beach?

Thanks!

Capt - how big is the beach area at Sunset House? DH and I are going with about 6 - 8 others...maybe 10 - 12 if we pick up stragglers.

I know DH and I will want to snorkel - I think they might just want to enjoy the beach/pool/bar. I'm guessing we should bring own towels too? Do they have lounge chairs on the beach?

Thanks!

Sunset House doesn't have a beach. You can SIT @ My Bar, but it's not a place that you would go to lounge all day.

If you're looking for a beach you can walk a few minutes past Sunset House to Smith Cove. There are no chairs, but the beach is gorgeous. Small washroom available. Sometimes there's a guy there that rents lounge chairs. You can snorkel from shore. Not the best, but reasonably good for beginners. Sunset House has better snorkeling IMO.

ImageUploadedByForums1390061283.530592.jpg.289bd7df5c05261ff82f9c52d02adef9.jpg

Smith's Cove is on my map

no beach at Sunset House ... this area is 'Iron Shore' which is volcanic rock and coral that come right up out of the water to form the land. THAT's why Eden and Sunset have good snorkeling ... the reef is very close to shore. At 7 Mile Beach you'll find a long sand beach that extends out a mile before you encounter reef.

Sunset House from the air

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

shore line at Sunset House

100_0098_zpsd8dc80be.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

when it is too ruff on the west side (where Sunset and 7 mile are), Sunset takes their divers to the north side which is where sting ray city and rum point are . . . (sunset keeps boats at a marina up there as back up and to support their sting ray city trips)