New Menu Thoughts?

lrockwitt

I really really don't like sharing dishes. If other have bad habits or touch food with fingers the whole selection if tainted. I will be sailing the dream in feb and will get a chance to try the new menus. To me the dining room is a fine dining experience that I don't get at home. I like table clothes and being served my foods. I would not like to share a dish esp with people I don't know and who might have smaller children that might not be coordinated to help themselves to shared dishes in a sanitary manner.

debkjw

Unfortunately the days of the dining room being a fine dining experience are long gone and getting worse now.

Just off the Glory (Dec. 15-22), so that was the 2nd week of the new menus. I posted a review that details some of our thoughts, but we liked the old menus better. We had Your Time Dining and always requested a table for 2, so the sharing thing was not an issue for us. On the first night, we ordered Caesar salad for 2, but there was not enough salad in the bowl for 2 people. We asked for parmesan cheese but never got it. We moved to a different section on the next night and found a superb waiter who brought out our salads on separate plates and always gave us grated parmesan. The New York strip "from the grill" was terrible. It was loaded down with a huge garlic clove and didn't appear to be grilled but rather just fried in oil. The Nutella tiramisu was not all that great. The carrot cake was really bad. It was beautiful on the plate, but the frosting was not good at all, like the ratio of sugar to cream cheese was way off. DH hated that the baked Alaska was gone, and I definitely missed bitter and blanc and pumpkin soup. I thought the tables looked fine, but the waiters seemed to be scurrying around a lot more than usual--putting silverware down and taking it up, then putting more down. We liked the water carafes on the tables and the champagne for toasting. I liked the idea of the port-of-call selections, although we never ordered any of those. The maitre d' came by to get feedback, and we basically told him what I've said here. He indicated to us that it was 20% in favor of the new menus by his unofficial tally, so about 80% with an unfavorable reaction. I'm sure there are still some kinks to work out. We never saw any dessert parade, but maybe that was because we were in Your Time Dining (?). The prime rib was okay, and so was the Chateaubriand IMO. Chocolate melting cake seemed the same as always, although they have re-branded it Carnival Melting Chocolate Cake.

I guess that I missed the water carafes were on the table. lordy lordy even in the bars, and mom and pop small town eateries they serve the water. I cant remember when I went out to eat and the water was in a carafe on the table and you poured your own. I can imagine the spills. People with arthritis and others reaching for the water let alone younger children. What disasters !!!

The more I read I cant believe that Carnival started this without input from their cruisers. All they would have needed to do is send surveys with possible changes to some of their experienced cruises and much of this negative feedback would never have happened. It seems they are reactive with the changes instead of proactive. Just because some famous New York places don't use tablecloths, the majority of carnival cruises probably don't eat there at those expensive places.

debkjw

Even though the carafes were on the table, on casual nights only, the wait staff would pour it for us, if they were there. The nice thing was that I didn't have to wait if they were busy. We drink a lot of water and I don't want my glass empty.

I was on the Glory the very first week, and although I liked the menus and the food was better than I had on my cruise in sept, I was not thrilled with the execution of the meal- in that it took far too long. The menus are a work in progress. The 2nd elegant night was changed after the first and it sounds like more things are changing as they go. Especially of the fruit soups are back. They were not available for us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I guess that I missed the water carafes were on the table. lordy lordy even in the bars, and mom and pop small town eateries they serve the water. I cant remember when I went out to eat and the water was in a carafe on the table and you poured your own. I can imagine the spills. People with arthritis and others reaching for the water let alone younger children. What disasters !!!

The more I read I cant believe that Carnival started this without input from their cruisers. All they would have needed to do is send surveys with possible changes to some of their experienced cruises and much of this negative feedback would never have happened. It seems they are reactive with the changes instead of proactive. Just because some famous New York places don't use tablecloths, the majority of carnival cruises probably don't eat there at those expensive places.

debkjw

Therein lies the irony. Many of the newer, upscale, decidedly fine dining places all over the country are going to a no table cloth look. What have you been reading all over these boards, that people want a "fine dining" experience, right? But your last statement sums it all up. So many people either choose not to, or perhaps cannot afford, a true fine dining experience so equating that to whether there are table clothes on the tables is kind of ridiculous and does speak to their fine dining experience. Which, based on what I'm reading, is not a lot.

I really really don't like sharing dishes. If other have bad habits or touch food with fingers the whole selection if tainted. I will be sailing the dream in feb and will get a chance to try the new menus. To me the dining room is a fine dining experience that I don't get at home. I like table clothes and being served my foods. I would not like to share a dish esp with people I don't know and who might have smaller children that might not be coordinated to help themselves to shared dishes in a sanitary manner.

debkjw

I don't want to share either.......we've already heard about the guy taking almost all the calamari..........I see people frequently coughing into their hand, or rubbing their nose......I don't want to share utensils with them......

The reason I don't eat at the buffet is because of how sloppy people are about serving themselves.....I can't count the number of times that someone has drug the back of the serving spoon through the food already on their plate......now imagine that they are getting a 2nd helping of that shared side and they've already been eating from their plate.........just gross.

Agreed!!

Therein lies the irony. Many of the newer, upscale, decidedly fine dining places all over the country are going to a no table cloth look. What have you been reading all over these boards, that people want a "fine dining" experience, right? But your last statement sums it all up. So many people either choose not to, or perhaps cannot afford, a true fine dining experience so equating that to whether there are table clothes on the tables is kind of ridiculous and does speak to their fine dining experience. Which, based on what I'm reading, is not a lot.

Do these fine dining places put a water carafe on the table and have its patrons pour their own water? Does the majority serve family style and have people scoop their food out of a community bowl or platter? Possibly with people you don't know? I personally like table clothes but if food good it wouldn't be a deal breaker but sloppy handling of food is.

debkjw

Do these fine dining places put a water carafe on the table and have its patrons pour their own water? Does the majority serve family style and have people scoop their food out of a community bowl or platter? Possibly with people you don't know? I personally like table clothes but if food good it wouldn't be a deal breaker but sloppy handling of food is.

debkjw

I live in Washington, DC and frequently dine in fine establishments that bring a carafe of water to the table. Or, if you order sparkling water, they will bring you a bottle of such to pour as you wish.

To me, the menus look like a nice change from the old ones. I do wonder if you can still order the Indian vegetarian meal. I know before it was on the menu, people could just ask their waiter for it, so I wonder if you would still be able to do that. It's pretty darn good, so I'll miss it if it's completely unavailable.

Call me dumb, but I have no clue what in the world this discussion is about. What do you mean "sharing"? Is there not a menu in the mdr where you just order your own food from like in a traditional restaurant? Keep in mind that I have only cruised once in my life and remember very little about it and I sure as heck don't remember anything about the food.

First off, I want to say that I was getting tired of the old menus and welcome the change.

You can order the "shared" plates as individual for yourself only. You do NOT have to share with anyone if you do not wish.

Also, it is a work in progress as several have already noted. First there were no shrimp cocktails nightly on new menu and now they are back. Same as with the chilled soups gone and now reappearing.

Personally, I am glad that I will not be on a CCL ship until late 2014. By then everything should be running smoothly.

Edited by SHayesShip

First of all, thanks to the original poster. He (or she) is one of the few people who has experienced the old menus and the new menus back-to-back and was nice enough to provide their assessment.

Why is it that this board has become home to Snivelpalooza? Good lord, people!

People who have not tried the new menu have already made up their minds that it "sucks". And if your group contains six people with varying food allergies, voluntary food restrictions and picky eaters, you will not find a restaurant on any ship (or probably in any land-based restaurant) that is gonna make you all happy. Do you realize you are a restaurant waitstaff's ultimate nightmare? :eek:

Nobody is being forced to share anything with anybody! You are ,however, being offered the opportunity to do so if you wish to. Have you ever eaten at the buffet? Unless you were first in line, somebody else handled the serving utensils before you did. Did you contract cooties? hepres? flesh-eating bacteria?

I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world and have eaten quite a few "meals" a from a metal cup while shivering in a foxhole. And you know what? I was thankful for them all. We are the luckiest, most spoiled people on the planet. You are talking about a vacation you'll be taking that is the envy of the world. 95% of the world's population cannot imagine the experience in which you'll be sharing. (OOPS, shouldn't use the word "sharing" as that seems to offend some.) I'd like to see you make food accessible around the clock for 2,000 people 7 days a week.

If you are going to let the lack of a tablecloth ruin your vacation, STAY HOME. I certainly don't want to get stuck at the table with you!

You obviously won't be satisfied unless you have some whine with your meal.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

First of all, thanks to the original poster. He (or she) is one of the few people who has experienced the old menus and the new menus back-to-back and was nice enough to provide their assessment.

People who have not tried the new menu have already made up their minds that it "sucks". And if your group contains six people with varying food allergies, voluntary food restrictions and picky eaters, you will not find a restaurant on any ship (or probably in any land-based restaurant) that is gonna make you all happy. Do you realize you are a restaurant waitstaff's ultimate nightmare? :eek:

Nobody is being forced to share anything with anybody! You are ,however, being offered the opportunity to do so if you wish to. Have you ever eaten at the buffet? Unless you were first in line, somebody else handled the serving utensils before you did. Did you contract cooties? hepres? flesh-eating bacteria?

I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world and have eaten quite a few "meals" a from a metal cup while shivering in a foxhole. And you know what? I was thankful for them all. We are the luckiest, most spoiled people on the planet. You are talking about a vacation you'll be taking that is the envy of the world. 95% of the world's population cannot imagine the experience in which you'll be sharing. (OOPS, shouldn't use the word "sharing" as that seems to offend some.) I'd like to see you make food accessible around the clock for 2,000 people 7 days a week.

If you are going to let the lack of a tablecloth ruin your vacation, STAY HOME. I certainly don't want to get stuck at the table with you!

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

Diddo

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

LOL! I love it!

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

100% agree with this!!

Those whining about others touching the utensil, I wonder how many handle a dollar bill and wash their hands each and every time they touch one, or a door handle, or a buggy handle, or a car handle, or a pen, or a salt or pepper shaker, or pull their chair in and touch the bottom of the chair...you get my point. I don't have a great immune system and I try to be somewhat careful but my DH doesn't see germs anywhere and he's never sick...I see a trend.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

My original post included the word, "Hepres". Some may have though that should have been "Herpes". Actually, Hepres is a particularly virulent strain of herpes which can only be contracted by sharing of appetizers. ;)

Beware!

Brian (your whine steward)

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

Thank you Brian. I agree 100%. I work with a few germophobes and WOW, am I thankful I don't suffer from this! I have also known a few picky eaters and am also very thankful that I wasn't raised to be one! I personally think that, in addition to the folks who are whining about the table cloths, folks who "cannot find anything good on the menu" or are worried about "sharing", should also stay home. Cruising is 100% voluntary. Why on earth would someone who "cannot see anything good on that new menu" subject themselves to same?? This makes no sense at all.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

Great! Nothing needs to be add.

Here is the link to the new menus. http://johnhealdsblog.com/menus/2013-12-10/Carnival%20Glory/

• 3 months later...

We just got off of the Breeze on 04/20/14 and the dinning room experience was great. We had table cloths every meal. No sharing of any kind. Waiters hand served and poured everything. Personally I don't think American Feast and American Table will survive. Our waiters were excellent and our food was always hot except for those items that aren't supposed to be hot. The Breeze is a dream class ship but Germans designed the interior and it is absolutely stunning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app