Zuiderdam - Important Wifey type question!

Delbankin

If my memory serves me correctly, it is hard wired in that stupid rectanugalr cupboard at the desk on the Oosterdam. I take my own.

Same on the Zuiderdam.... if you are tall you would have to squat down to use it, LOL. Neptune suites have a plug-in one in the dressing room, though.

Same on the Zuiderdam.... if you are tall you would have to squat down to use it, LOL. Neptune suites have a plug-in one in the dressing room, though.

They must have added them during the latest dry dock as we had a Neptune Suite in 2011 to Alaska on the the Zuiderdam. The hair dryer was hard wired in the dressing room and it promptly died on the second day.

I called the front desk and they sent the steward to verify it was broken because, as we know, passengers know nothing. After determining I was not making up stories he said he would replace it sometime during the day. Since I was standing there with my hair dripping wet, that did not make me feel very happy. Needless to say there was a plug in style hand held new hair dryer in the cabin ten minutes later and a bad hair day was averted. :)

Edited by sapper1

Had to weigh in on this one!! While the supplied hair dryers may work for some, i agree with previous posters who said they don't get hot enough and make their hair look funky (thanks matondo--perfect word!). I hate using the in cabin dryers and always bring my own. Just an FYI, but I have an international travel hair dryer (works on all power sources) but it still doesn't have the heat or air flow to make my hair come out right, so it doesn't work as I hoped. I always carry my own regular (compact but powerful) hair dryer because this is something that stresses me out if it goes wrong.

To OP--if you want wifey to be happy, have her bring a dryer that she is happy with and leave something else home if you have to.:D;) Honestly, my dryer doesn't weigh much and is easy to pack between clothes.

The only thing the cabin hair dryers are good for, imho, is drying clothes!! :D

good luck and enjoy your cruise

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add details

Besides the fact they are wimpy heatwise and powerwise...the last cruise we were on, the dryer would die about halfway through drying my short hair. It would overheat and I'd have to wait 10-15 minutes to get it to start up again. By that time my hair was dry, in its own "style", and that's not what I want on formal night (or any other night, to be honest).

I hate taking up space in the suitcase for a dryer, but this thread reminded me of the aggravation. We were on the Westerdam and had the hard wired in the drawer version, which is another reason I'm bringing my own next trip. Bad choice, HAL!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Quite amazing really that 30+ replies received for a vaguely titled post about hair driers. Just goes to show the value of Cruise Critic.

We are still unsure how we will like Zuiderdam (quite a lot of negative comments recently) and how we will find our first HAL cruise, having sailed with most other middle market cruise lines previously. We chose HAL for the Alaska itinerary and are looking forward to it very much, so fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Quite amazing really that 30+ replies received for a vaguely titled post about hair driers. Just goes to show the value of Cruise Critic.

We are still unsure how we will like Zuiderdam (quite a lot of negative comments recently) and how we will find our first HAL cruise, having sailed with most other middle market cruise lines previously. We chose HAL for the Alaska itinerary and are looking forward to it very much, so fingers crossed!

Take heart - I've cruise the Zuiderdam in some pretty negative conditions. And I still had a great time, and am booked to sail on her again (just praying I have a/c:eek:) but I know I will have a great cruise anyway. I love the ship.