Arcadia D8

charltonboy

We were right in the bow, and the bow thruster seemed to be right beneath us, and the winch motors for all the ropes seemed to be next door. As we were on the canal going to Amsterdam the bow thruster seemed to be constantly working and the crew started up the winch motors one and a half hours before we reached the port. The cabin steward offered us ear plugs, so the problem is obviously one known to P and O.

Having had a look at the plan your cabin seems to be well away from this very, very noisy problem.

Have a good trip. Charltonboy

Oh dear, yes, I can imagine the problem of that.

Thank you very much for looking at looking at where my cabin was to compare. E148 is straight across from E150 where we have stayed before, which was inside and actually a great location. It was very quiet and stable, but we did feel we needed a window, so have chosen the cabin opposite for our next cruise on Oriana - E148. So it should be ok.

Hope someone comes along soon about your cabin Charltonboy and that it is good news.

Scriv

Edited by Scriv

Charltonboy, I'm afraid you will suffer from considerable vibration in your cabin when the bow thrusters are operated at full power. This tends to happen when pushing away from the dock at departure and it also shakes the bridge three decks above you. The thrusters are also used at lower power during docking and you will find this less intrusive.

You may like to know that Arcadia needs to use the bow thrusters less than Oriana because the azipods fitted to Arcadia can move the bow. With the starboard azipod at 0° and the port azipod at 180°, the bow will move to port without using any bow thrust.

You will see from the attached photo d8.jpg that cabin D8 is under the bridge and just two decks from the forecastle (foc'sle) on deck 3 where the mooring winches are. You can see the shell door for the officer's platform outlined in rust on the left of the photo (it was taken just before the refit!!). It's true that the winch motors run during much of the mooring operation but I can't say whether you will suffer these from your cabin. You can hear them from the Palladium theatre at late sailaways but I suspect the noise will be muted on deck 5.

Sorry I can't give you any more comfort other than to say that it is unusual for the noises to be at anti-social times.

That's my cabin.

We have had it 3 times 14/ 17/ 20 nights, the last time was just before the refit. We have had the cabin either side as well and have booked it again for J419.

So as you can guess we like it.

When in dock there is a door at the end of the passage open it and there is a bulkhead door in front of you open that and you are right at the front of the ship above the spare anchor and the bell.

Please leave it tidy for us :)

Mark