Onboard QM2 Dec 22 - Jan 3 Live

Paul NH

]The term for the dish following the main meal in Australia is dessert.[/color] When I hear the word pudding I think of the fruit pudding eaten at Christmas time. You'll never see the word pudding on any menu in Australia unless it's Christmas. And it will be listed as a separate dish under the heading of Dessert.

Yes, same here in NY, unless one is eating in a restaurant with a British menu. Although it bears little resemblance to pudding served in the UK, pudding is often included on dessert menus of local restaurants and delicatessens, but the items would be specified as butterscotch pudding, rice pudding, chocolate pudding etc, usually topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Edited by Salacia

Think you will arrive on Friday to a fair snow storm! Am boarding then so have arrived in NYC tonight to avoid traveling in the storm .

Bundle up!

Sally

Sally, that's a smart move. The local weather forecasters seem to be undecided as to whether or not the snow will impact the area to any great degree. Better to be safe than sorry! I wish you a wonderful voyage and a very good 2014.

And best of luck to those disembarking QM2 on Friday. There is no doubt that domestic flights will be impacted.

Salacia

Yes, coffee after dessert, served with little tiered tray of sweets. That's how they do it in the grills too.

A tiered tray of sweets? Can't remember having that served in Britannia. :confused: Not being familiar with the grills, if a passenger asks for coffee, is it served as requested?

Edited by Salacia

A tiered tray of sweets? Can't remember having that served in Britannia. :confused: Not being familiar with the grills, if a passenger asks for coffee, is it served as requested?

Really, you don't recall the petit fours being served with the coffee? They're served automatically with the coffee in the Grills and the Britannia Restaurant.

Really, you don't recall the petit fours being served with the coffee? They're served automatically with the coffee in the Grills and the Britannia Restaurant.

Even if you are not having coffee/tea, they arrive after the dessert.

Edited by hattie the cattie

When I was young (many years ago) you often heard the question "what's for pudding". In those days many puddings/desserts were steamed suet or sponge puddings. Other puddings/desserts on offer were pies/tarts. As time went by and more people ate in restaurants the general term dessert became more common. Over time the usage of words change. For example some people call dinner "tea" or "supper". Some people still call the radio "wireless". Getting back to the coffee issue, I assumed in Britannia that the waiters tried to serve the coffee asap so that they could get the meal over more quickly and get cleared up and off duty. We just say we want it after dessert. Petit fours have been served to us with tongs from a plate held by the waiter onto individual plates. We are just lucky to enjoy it all no matter what they call it or when they serve it.

Well there you go. Strange that Salacia (in her more than ten voyages on QM2) has never seen them. :confused:

She's probably occupied studying the artwork that surrounds her and so she doesn't notice.:)

Edited by capnpugwash

I thought she was commenting on the tiered tray. That's not a Britannia feature.

No problem getting coffee/tea at the same time as dessert at my table. I'm sure it depends on the waiter (and perhaps his perception of the nationality of the passenger).

Here is what I wrote:

"A tiered tray of sweets? Can't remember having that served in Britannia"

As was subsequently mentioned by 2irisheyes, "...Petit fours have been served to us with tongs from a plate held by the waiter onto individual plates..." That is also what I remember being served.

Whitemarsh, yes, really; being served a tiered tray of sweets is not the same thing as petit fours being served with thongs from a plate held by the waiter.

Here is what I wrote:

Correct.

As was subsequently mentioned by 2irisheyes, "...Petit fours have been served to us with tongs from a plate held by the waiter onto individual plates..." That is also what I remember being served.

But your comment was not in response to what 2irisheyes wrote, it was in response to what kasius11 wrote at post 30. And he was talking about a tiered tray of sweets which is what everyone gets with their coffee.

Whitemarsh, yes, really; being served a tiered tray of sweets is not the same thing as petit fours being served with thongs from a plate held by the waiter.

So in your more than ten voyages, you've never ever had a waiter place a tiered tray - or plate - of petit fours (or sweets - call them what you want) on your table with or after your coffee?

Correct.

But your comment was not in response to what 2irisheyes wrote, it was in response to what kasius11 wrote at post 30. And he was talking about a tiered tray of sweets which is what everyone gets with their coffee.

So in your more than ten voyages, you've never ever had a waiter place a tiered tray - or plate - of petit fours (or sweets - call them what you want) on your table with or after your coffee?

I can't imagine anyone why would care, but I'll say it again one last time: I have never been served a tiered tray of sweets in Britannia. I have been served petit fours in the manner described by a previous poster. Do you reguire a signed affidavit that effect?

Please note: If you or any other passenger has been served a tiered tray sweets in Britannia after dessert, I think that's lovely, and I'm very happy for those who enjoyed the tiered tray. I'm only saying that has not been my experience, and apparently, I'm not alone in that. Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me.

Edited by Salacia

Yes, Salacia, since you mention it --- it would be quite nice indeed if you would provide a signed affivavit to support your testimony.

For what it is worth, and I don't give a fig if no one cares, I have had the waiter place a tiered tray (or plate) in front of me after coffee in the Britannia Restaurant on the Queen Mary 2 on a number of occasions over the years. And naturally it was done on the marvelous QE2.

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

Here is what I wrote:

Well things have certainly changed on QM2!! Were the waiters wearing the thongs? Did they use them to handle the sweets? Did you visit the Pursar's (sic) Office and complain? I'm pleased that you have subsequently told us that "it doesn't matter much to me", because I was becoming confused by your several posts on the subject. On e final question, were the thongs silver, chromed or merely gold lame? :)

I can't imagine anyone why would care, but I'll say it again one last time: I have never been served a tiered tray of sweets in Britannia. I have been served petit fours in the manner described by a previous poster. Do you reguire a signed affidavit that effect?

Please note: If you or any other passenger has been served a tiered tray sweets in Britannia after dessert, I think that's lovely, and I'm very happy for those who enjoyed the tiered tray. I'm only saying that has not been my experience, and apparently, I'm not alone in that. Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me.

I have to support Salacia, although I am Diamond member, I am also one of the" peasants" who travel in the Britannia MDR.

I have never seen a tier of "cakes" on a table in the MDR. It used to be the custom to place a selection of such on a plate enabling those at the table to chose how many or which kind they wished but now you get ONE very SMALL nondescript piece of sponge dumped on your plate and that is that.

One my last cruise one of my table companions had the "nerve" to ask for TWO, and the waiter made it clear he thought that a very "unsuitable request." He practically threw the ONE INCH square of "whatever" on to the diners plate.

I have never seen a tier of "cakes" on a table in the MDR. It used to be the custom to place a selection of such on a plate enabling those at the table to chose how many or which kind they wished but now you get ONE very SMALL nondescript piece of sponge dumped on your plate and that is that.

One my last cruise one of my table companions had the "nerve" to ask for TWO, and the waiter made it clear he thought that a very "unsuitable request." He practically threw the ONE INCH square of "whatever" on to the diners plate.

During "code red" operation the tier will not be used, sweets are served to any individual guest. But this is my experience in the grills and club only.

This waiter certainly needs to be mentioned in your comments to Cunard.

I can quite understand that in the Grills the "tier" is used, this is why it is important what when we write or comment we all realize that we can only compare apples to apples, and do not snipe or snarl, insisting that the "other poster " is lying,

Insisting that something is "true" or "untrue" when the poster travelled on a different "Queen" ,on a different cruise , or in a different category of accommodation does not help anyone, and surely that is the function of this site.

Yes I am one of those who do not assume that everyone at the Pursers desk is there to cancel the auto gratuity, that someone who does not tip over an above the norm is a cheapskate.

I also understand a waiter/steward can be poor in their work ethic, and that if you are unfortunate to get someone like that it can spoil your experience. Yes I know they are far from home, work long hours, but that is their choice, (I was a military wife for over 30 years, my husband also "worked" far from home, "long and difficult hours", and I too had my "moments" of frustration, loneliness ,and worry, but as stated that was the choice we made.)

So please let 2014 be the year that we all remember our manners when dealing with our fellow cruisers, no matter on which line/ship/category of cabin they travel.