Cozumel - ideas and hummingbirds?

ARKVILLA

Hello all

taking a 5 day cruise on Carnival Paradise in April to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Just trying to figure out if we should book an excursion(s) via Carnival or is it easier to book when we arrive at location? Looking to spend some time on the beach and perhaps swim / snorkel to see turtles and sting rays . Any help and advise on best beaches or other suggestions on things to do and see most appreciated. Just my wife and I travelling and it would make her cruise if she could see hummingbirds (don't get them in UK ) ... not sure they will be there April time?

Thanks

Our last 2 stops in GC we booked the snorkel and stingray city tour with Moby Dick and were very happy -- smaller boat, not crowded, great service, no pressure to buy photos, etc. Check the GC board for more suggestions.

In Coz it is very easy to book what you want without using the cruiseline -- especially since you walk off the ship instead of tendering like in GC.

For shore snorkeling you cannot beat the Money Bar -- only a $10 cab ride from the peirs and no admission fee. For a nice beach there are several beach clubs often suggested here - Paradise, Nachi Cocom, Mr. Sanchos, etc. All are lined up on the same side of the island very near to each other, so do come homework and find the one that has the amenities (pool, all-inclusive, water toys, etc.) that you desire.

I cannot help you with humming birds in Coz. :(

We saw hummingbirds in Cozumel in December. I don't know if they are there in April- I also don't know if there is a 'place' you can see them, just keep looking at flowery bushes!

Cozumel is a very easy port to do on your own. It isn't necessary to book a ships tour.

Hello all

Just my wife and I travelling and it would make her cruise if she could see hummingbirds (don't get them in UK ) ... not sure they will be there April time?

Thanks

Anytime the flowers are blooming the hummingbirds will be out. Flowers blooming in April? Certainly a very good chance for that. Good places to see them include Punta Sur Park and the Central Plaza in San Miguel. We saw Emerald Hummingbirds (Cozumel only I am told) at the Money Bar last time we were there, so you never know, just keep your eyes and ears alert!

paradise beach club is nice it let's you use thier in ocean water park gorgeous pristine pools a, paddle boats and scuba gear I think for like $13 ppl we rented a jeep at port went there they also service alchol and food but it's a tad pricey so we then

,found this AWESOME restaurant right on the beach (you can also snorkel there ) called

Playa Bonita Beach Club

http://www.360cities.net/image/playa-bonita-beach-bar-cozumel-mexico?utm_medium=all_images&utm_source=google_earth

Giant platters of food grilled up , fish and shrimps caught fresh from the sea (you can go in kitchen and see what they caught, giant margaritas and fre shots of tequila, everywhere you go in Cozumel it seems gives you a fre shot of tequila.

We then drove on to San Genovese site Mayan ruins. It was like $50 to rent the jeep and well worth it. They'll give you a map when you get to port and it's marked with all of this but mostly it's an island with a circular road going around it,

My sister loves Mr Sanchos all inclusive day resort which let's you use there ocean water park like paradise beach above bt you can get a package that includes all you can eat and drink (alcohol and non alcohol)

Cozumel sports two types of endemic hummingbirds, Cozumel Emerald and Green-breasted Mango. The emerald is common, but small and fast, so getting good looks is difficult. The mango is much larger, but not as common, and less likely to be seen at the tourist spots. The optimum scenario would be to find a hummingbird feeder, but while common in the United States, I cannot recall seeing any in Mexico, at least in Cozumel. So you are basically left with trying to see one "in the wild". Flowering trees and shrubs are a start, but hummers spend most of their time eating small bugs, so they can be seen anywhere with numbers of small, flying insects.

We've seen the emerald at Parque Chankanaab and Paradise Beach (especially in the landscaping shrubbery) and both at Punta Sur.

Good luck!

In Grand Cayman we visited the Queen Elizabeth gardens. There are tons of birds there. I cannot recall if there were hummingbirds or not. Lots of birds I doubt you have in the UK though!

Hello all

taking a 5 day cruise on Carnival Paradise in April to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Just trying to figure out if we should book an excursion(s) via Carnival or is it easier to book when we arrive at location? Looking to spend some time on the beach and perhaps swim / snorkel to see turtles and sting rays . Any help and advise on best beaches or other suggestions on things to do and see most appreciated. Just my wife and I travelling and it would make her cruise if she could see hummingbirds (don't get them in UK ) ... not sure they will be there April time?

Thanks

I was on a cruise with a birding group 12/13 and 11/12. The list shows there is 1 type of hummingbird in Grand Cayman but I did not see it last year and they did not see it this year. In Cozumel there are 4 types and they saw 3 of the types this year. In Cozumel you may want to pre-hire a guide who can take you to several spots, including where you may see hummingbirds (I think they saw them near the golf course). I also recommend a visit to the eastern side of the island where there is a lot of natural beauty and almost no development.

Hello all

Thanks