HAL won't honor it's own sale prices!!!!!

Lulley766

Lulley766,

I've stayed out of this one because it appeared that emotions were too high and opinions too deep for me to do any good. However, I am concerned that, given your expressed fears and attitudes regarding this situation that you will not at all enjoy your cruise and will view and experience everything through the filter of this circumstance. (I have in mind your remark about a picture of you being posted and you being refused access to the ship for posting on this board). Please know that my prayer for you is that you have a wonderful cruise, that everything goes well, that you enjoy yourself immensely, and that you totally forget about all of this unfortunate "stuff."

If this is impossible for you, perhaps you really should just cut your losses and cancel your cruise. Yes, it will be painful in terms of the lost money, but as things stand right now I'm not so sure you're going to be truly capable of taking a HAL cruise and not see lurking staff members, sneaking around, trying to steal more money from you.

Whatever happens, and no matter what you decide, I wish you all the best.

Long story short, I won't bore everyone with the details, but HAL has fianlly agreed to upgrade our party to verandah cabins. I'm both glad and grateful they did, as it has put a much better light on our vacation. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond and offer your thoughts and suggestions, with the majority being sincere and helpful. It's been an amazing experience. It's also been an educational experience to discover what other people think of the situation, and yes, there truly are, two (or more) sides to every story. I'm just glad the issue has been resolved. Again, many thanks to everyone.

[quote name='doublebzz']Lulley766

This is like following a soap opera. I can't wait to find out how this turns out. As I said in an earlier reply, I'm betting HAL will make some accommodation when all is said and done.

It would add to the interest if you could now provide the specifics of your cruise - ship name; sailing date; cabin categories booked, etc. Of course, we will understand if you want to keep this private and it will certainly not diminish my support for your case.[/QUOTE]

Lulley766

As I kept predicting, HAL would make good despite all the naysayers on this board. You'll love the veranda cabins.
Have a great cruise and let us know how you enjoyed it when you get home.

[quote name='Lulley766']Long story short, I won't bore everyone with the details, but HAL has fianlly agreed to upgrade our party to verandah cabins. I'm both glad and grateful they did, as it has put a much better light on our vacation. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond and offer your thoughts and suggestions, with the majority being sincere and helpful. It's been an amazing experience. It's also been an educational experience to discover what other people think of the situation, and yes, there truly are, two (or more) sides to every story. I'm just glad the issue has been resolved. Again, many thanks to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Wonderful for you!!:) You didn't give up...you had a valid point and, when you're dealing with a company who's interested in keeping their customers happy, often enough they'll do what's right. The less emotion, the better...state your case and be ready to support your claim!! And you did it!! I am very glad you went with what you thought was a viable path and didn't let any negative/non supportive opinions sway you. And you didn't cancel your trip!! (I can't believe that was actually suggested!!) Hope your experience on this trip will be further enhanced by this victory!! Have the best time...

Thanks everybody!!!!! Yeah, nobody is happier than me that this situation was resolved. I remain disappointed, however, in the path it took. It should never have reached the executive office level to be resolved, but it did. Those who suggested that we just throw good money after bad and cancel the trip were unrealistic in my mind. We are travelling with 4 other people, I can't exactly leave them hanging because I'm ticked off. In the end, it all worked out, but the more I read these boards, the more I realize HAL is often unwilling to work with its passengers on these kinds of situations. It might make me think twice in the future about booking with them if the deals are comprable on another line, but one should never say never. I will post upon my return. We leave next Saturday, and we can't wait. Thanks for the ongoing support. P.S. The other family we are going with doesn't know we have been upgraded to verandahs... We thought it would be a nice surprise.... shhhhh.......

[quote name='Lulley766']Thanks everybody!!!!! Yeah, nobody is happier than me that this situation was resolved. I remain disappointed, however, in the path it took. It should never have reached the executive office level to be resolved, but it did. Those who suggested that we just throw good money after bad and cancel the trip were unrealistic in my mind. We are travelling with 4 other people, I can't exactly leave them hanging because I'm ticked off. In the end, it all worked out, but the more I read these boards, the more I realize HAL is often unwilling to work with its passengers on these kinds of situations. It might make me think twice in the future about booking with them if the deals are comprable on another line, but one should never say never. I will post upon my return. We leave next Saturday, and we can't wait. Thanks for the ongoing support. P.S. The other family we are going with doesn't know we have been upgraded to verandahs... We thought it would be a nice surprise.... shhhhh.......[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]If the other family was as upset about the situation as you were, would it make their excitement more fun for them to know that you are being upgraded? If they are stressing about an unhappy lack of resolution, do you think they should be told in order that they can also feel better the way you do?[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Just mean this as something to think about.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Personally, I would not like for some friend of mine to withold that sort of information from me. I would feel it my right to know -----unless, of course, that friend had paid for my cruise. :) I might feel I was being controlled a wee bit. But that's just me. Probably not many others would have the same view. :cool: Have you considered telling them?[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]In any case, happy you feel better and once again wish you a good trip.[/font][/b]

Sail7Seas,

I never told the other family about the little "dilema". I felt badly about it and did not want it to impact their vacation. I just thought they would get a real kick out of going to the cabins opening the door and seeing the verandah for themselves. Nothing more than that. Kind of like a Christmas-morning-kind of thing.

On another footnote, I received a lovely and gracious letter from the Head of Guest Relations at HAL apologizing for the situation. He seemed genuinely concerned about how guests are being treated. It's restored my faith in HAL. So there's my update.

Cheers to all!

Lulley

I have found both with Princess and HAL if you are near the end of the mailing list all the dicounted cabins are gone by the time you call. The cruise lines are getting to be like the airlines, they have a certain number of bargain cabins to draw us in and then they try the old switch. The new email offers end this somewhat, but you cannot spend too much time thinking it over. Act or lose the bargain. I know what I'm willing to pay, where and when I want to go and when I see a cruise that meets all these things I put it on hold. Talk to the wife and give them a deposit.

[quote name='Lulley766']Sail7Seas,

I never told the other family about the little "dilema". I felt badly about it and did not want it to impact their vacation. I just thought they would get a real kick out of going to the cabins opening the door and seeing the verandah for themselves. Nothing more than that. Kind of like a Christmas-morning-kind of thing.

On another footnote, I received a lovely and gracious letter from the Head of Guest Relations at HAL apologizing for the situation. He seemed genuinely concerned about how guests are being treated. It's restored my faith in HAL. So there's my update.

Cheers to all!
Hi Lulley766,
Not to drag this out...but another classic example of someone talking without getting the facts before putting their two cents in. Some people do this all the time it seems.:eek:
Again...have a great cruise. Glad to see you did not involve the people going with you. They will be pleasingly suprised. I would be.
By the way...we have cruised on HAL more than once and I am sure you will love them. Just ask for something on the ship and it's done with a smile.
Cheers

[quote name='Lulley766'] It should never have reached the executive office level to be resolved, but it did. .......[/QUOTE]

Whenever a run into a problem like this, fortunately few and far between, I always write a cordial letter to the Chief Executive. Two reasons: The CEO is more likely to cut through the bureacratic inflexibility that lower echelon employees are often tied and; in most cases the CEO appreciates hearing from a disgruntled customer and receiving comments that he/she may ordinarily be shielded from. These letters are often more revealing than the end of cruise questionaires that guests are asked to complete.

Doublebzz,

One footnote to your thoughts on comment cards. While I can't speak for other cruise lines, my niece was a performer on a Royal Carribbean ship recently. I can personally attest to the fact that at least RCCL takes these comment cards very seriously. They would actually post the passenger's comments, (both good and bad), for the cast of the show to read along with the rest of the ship's personnel. If one show or person received consistently negative comments they would be spoken to, or additional rehearsals would be scheduled. I think it would be safe to assume that the same thing happened in other departments on the ship. So, please do fill out the comment cards, they really do read them.

Cheers!

Lulley

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It is absolute fact that the passenger's comment cards are taken VERY seriously by HAL. They are carefully read by a number of people on board the ship; department heads pass along praise to those who have earned it and suggestions for improvement to those who had negative comments. The comment sheets are forwarded to Seattle where they are again carefully read.[/font][/b]

Doublebzz,

One footnote to your thoughts on comment cards. While I can't speak for other cruise lines, my niece was a performer on a Royal Carribbean ship recently. I can personally attest to the fact that at least RCCL takes these comment cards very seriously. They would actually post the passenger's comments, (both good and bad), for the cast of the show to read along with the rest of the ship's personnel. If one show or person received consistently negative comments they would be spoken to, or additional rehearsals would be scheduled. I think it would be safe to assume that the same thing happened in other departments on the ship. So, please do fill out the comment cards, they really do read them.

Cheers!

Lulley

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Lully766,

We had this same problem with Carnival last year. They also refused to work with my TA after I found an ad on Carnival's website offering a considerably lower price for the same catagory room on the same floor that we had already placed our deposit on months earlier!!!

After our TA got the run around, she suggested that I call and see how they responded to me...well I got out the cruise line catalog and while thumbing through the pages sure enough there was a little ad in a red box that said [b]"Book Early For The Best Rates"!!!![/b] When I told the Customer Service Rep that there was no doubt the ad was intentionally misleading and that our State Attorney General's office just might consider that [u][i]false[/i][/u] [i][u]advertising[/u][/i], thier attitude changed. We were refunded the difference without any further problems. Also, after borading the ship we were surprised to find a letter of apology along with a $200 on board credit.

P.S. Our TA told us that the cruise lines are more willing to work with the customer -- and just blow off the TA's. So do a little homework and look back through the catalog. On pages 43, 45, 49, and 51 of the 2006 HAL Alaska book in bold lettering is says [b]"Early Savings (ES): The fares shown are early savings fares and are subject to change. [u]Book early to ensure the best possible rate."[/u][/b]

Good Luck and I hope that everything works out for you. :) :) :)

HAL - Oosterdam - July 2006
Celebrity - Glaxay April 2005
Carnival - Elation April 2004
RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas August 2003

[quote name='kdaniels']Hey Lully766,

We had this same problem with Carnival last year. They also refused to work with my TA after I found an ad on Carnival's website offering a considerably lower price for the same catagory room on the same floor that we had already placed our deposit on months earlier!!!

After our TA got the run around, she suggested that I call and see how they responded to me...well I got out the cruise line catalog and while thumbing through the pages sure enough there was a little ad in a red box that said [b]"Book Early For The Best Rates"!!!![/b] When I told the Customer Service Rep that there was no doubt the ad was intentionally misleading and that our State Attorney General's office just might consider that [u][i]false[/i][/u] [i][u]advertising[/u][/i], thier attitude changed. We were refunded the difference without any further problems. Also, after borading the ship we were surprised to find a letter of apology along with a $200 on board credit.

P.S. Our TA told us that the cruise lines are more willing to work with the customer -- and just blow off the TA's. So do a little homework and look back through the catalog. On pages 43, 45, 49, and 51 of the 2006 HAL Alaska book in bold lettering is says [b]"Early Savings (ES): The fares shown are early savings fares and are subject to change. [u]Book early to ensure the best possible rate."[/u][/b]

Good Luck and I hope that everything works out for you. :) :) :)

[b]kdaneils,[/b]
I love it. After you pointed this out I looked in every HAL brochure I have, and guess what...YOU"RE 100% CORRECT!!!! Therefore, they have to give you the best possible rate according to the way they have worded it. "Book early for the best possible rate."
Attorney General...cute!
Now where are all the naysayers? Seems ever since Lully766 got the upgrade they haven't chimed in.:eek:
Lully, hope you and yours had a GREAT cruise.:D

This hardly seems like an airtight legal case. After all, some of the highest rates at any hotel (after the rack rates) are the "best available rates". It's merely nomenclature, not a binding contract. By booking early, you DO get the "best possible rate" to guarantee a specific cabin, for instance. Book later and your rate may be CHEAPER, but without the same variety of cabin choices (just as one example).

If you're going to play the letter of the law game, you have to be prepared to play by big-league rules.

Archived