Walkie-Talkie

megreedy

There once was a lady from Dallas

Who always behaved without malice.

To be called a curmudgeon

Felt like a bludgeon

She's certainly not ever callous!

Oh VV haven't seen too many posts from you since I came back online. I've missed your wisdom and wit. Your posts always make me smile. :)

And this one definitely is very fitting where Donna is concerned.

Edited by che5904

We have done both and found the phone app to work better than the walkie talkies. You can leave text messages when the crowd is too loud for the walkie talkies. Old fashioned post it notes work also.

The phone app is a great concept, much better than walkie talkies, but I found that it was somewhat buggy and did not work all the time. It needs to be refined.

Oh VV haven't seen too many posts from you since I came back online. I've missed your wisdom and wit. Your posts always make me smile. :)

And this one definitely is very fitting where Donna is concerned.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

Great question I was wondering the same thing. We have cruised 3 times and have never been bothered by walkie talkies.. we are traveling with an older couple this time with some mobility issues..we will not always be doing the same thing onboard but want to be in contact. I dont want them thinking we are one place to walk there and discover we are someplace else...or they might want to meet us but decide they are tired etc..... being able to communicate would be great and save them unneeded trips and me unneeded worry. Unfortunate I had to scroll through so many opinions to get to the actual answers. Thank you to those who responded to the actual question. I think we will buy some quality walkie talkies for our next cruise...which will be on The Dawn June 13 2014... cancel now if you are on that cruise and will get offended by me keeping in contact with our elderly friends.

Great question I was wondering the same thing. We have cruised 3 times and have never been bothered by walkie talkies.. we are traveling with an older couple this time with some mobility issues..we will not always be doing the same thing onboard but want to be in contact. I dont want them thinking we are one place to walk there and discover we are someplace else...or they might want to meet us but decide they are tired etc..... being able to communicate would be great and save them unneeded trips and me unneeded worry. Unfortunate I had to scroll through so many opinions to get to the actual answers. Thank you to those who responded to the actual question. I think we will buy some quality walkie talkies for our next cruise...which will be on The Dawn June 13 2014... cancel now if you are on that cruise and will get offended by me keeping in contact with our elderly friends.

Well, good luck. You will find that reception isn't good.

The problem I have with two way radios is there's no buzzer and no headset. Everybody nearby hears everything.

Imagine they are dining when the radio squawks, or in the middle of the show.

It's a bad idea to chain friends to the radio. Don't be surprised if they leave that darn radio behind in their cabin.

Use the telephones cruise lines so nicely place in every cabin. Their cabin number most likely will be their phone number on the ship.

How and what families do to keep in touch is their own business, but there are far better ways to keep in touch than using two way radios.

Great opportunity for someone to create walkie talkies that text only. Get on Shark Tank... Work hard make big bucks and sell out. Retire on a cruise ship.

Then it would not be a Walkie Talkie.....

It's already invented. There are apps that allow text on phones and tablets onboard the ship over the ship wi fi. They had that on NCL Breakaway. It cost 7.95 for unlimited text. Used it a lot. It was a little quirky as their network went down from time to time.

We've used them a few times. When you have family members and teens who are active and all over the ship it really isn't so easy to just set meeting times and places.

I will say that they don't work very well. One person can't be on deck 4 and the other out at the pool bar. You would need to be in closer proximity without the signal having to travel thru too much metal.

But they are very helpful for...."Hey, bring my sunglasses when you go back to the room"

It's already invented. There are apps that allow text on phones and tablets onboard the ship over the ship wi fi. They had that on NCL Breakaway. It cost 7.95 for unlimited text. Used it a lot. It was a little quirky as their network went down from time to time.

Ah, little too late I guess. But shouldn't they be called "walkie texties?"

Progress is a good thing! Apps are hands down the winner:)

Progress is a good thing! Apps are hands down the winner:)

All the cruise lines should have an app like that. In addition to texting it had the entertainement schedule. You could make restaurant reservations. Book shore excursions. And you could check your onboard account.

Ok, back to post it notes on the door. LOL

Yup they work very well for us old folks. Since I don't have a fridge that magnets will stick to.

Oh goodness I'm aging myself :eek:, but then I've never required constant instant communication with anyone on a vacation if we were doing our own thing. In the olden days we just set up a time to meet somewhere convenient. :D :p

Edited by che5904

Unless you are a member of the crew, people who insist on using walkie talkies are in the same category as those who smoke on their balconies, wear backwards baseball caps at dinner and fart in elevators.

Whenever I get in an elevator I size up the crowd. If anyone has a backwards baseball hat, smells like smoke, or just seems creepy I always let a big nasty fart fly. But if I like the people I hold on until I am on deck outside. Thats just how I roll.

But seriously I have never tried the FRS radios on a ship but I would think the range is very limited unless both parties are outside on deck. When you are in the bowels of the ship I would think the range would be very short.

Edited by e2011