passports flying into San Juan

zzmaxwell

Hey there!

We are a large group flying out of Iowa to San Juan in 5 weeks and we have all gotten our passports or the passport cards for the cruise. The last one to do a name change last week was told we wouldn't use the passport card to go to San Juan. San Juan is a US territory. We contacted the Federal Passport agency and they said we didn't need anything but a government ID but to call the airline. We contacted American and they said we didn't need a passport but some are still concerned. Could anyone that has flown there recently from the US and just used their license or the passport card as a form of ID going and coming back let us know it was OK for some peace of mind. It wouldn't bother us so much but every agency person you talk to gives you a different answer and some don't know one way or another so we are looking for firsthand knowledge so the 20 some of the group that opted for the passport card won't get left at the airport.

Thanks so much for your time!

Robin

Robin, San Juan is a US territory, and part of the United States. It is just like visiting Nebraska, only more interesting. They use the same postage stamps and everything:D

You can present your passports and passport cards when you board the ship and when you return to San Juan for customs and immigration, because you will have visited foreign countries. They will request them! :D

You can use your passports and passport cards to fly to San Juan if you wish, but you can also use your driver's license as a photo ID.

Have a great time on your cruise. :)

Thanks guys!

The bad part about this whole thing has been the fact that once you actually contact the passport agency they talk in circles and won't commit to anything at all. The groups department at American didn't blink an eye when answering when I called them on Thursday but some still worried and so I thought I'd just ask here as people just returning would know the answer. It really should be cut and dry but when the government cant answer you then it puts up a red flag. There are 68 of us going on this cruise and some are first timers, my kids included, and they opted for the passport card to save some money as they didn't have plans to travel anywhere but this just put a big wrench in the plans. I really appreciate everyone coming here so quickly and letting me know you used your drivers license so I can put it to rest.

Have a happy New Year!

Robin

Flying to PR is like flying to Los Angeles or Anchorage. It is all the same.

In fact everyone in your group, if they are US citizens, needed nothing for your cruise other than a birth certificate and a drivers license. Flights and sailings are both covered by these forms of ID from San Juan.*

Kudos to you all for getting your passports though....always a good idea.

*A few years ago a storm was coming towards San Juan....big time....so all the cruise ships sailed early, leaving no small number of passengers behind. The cruise lines stepped up and flew the remaining passengers to the next port to join the ship....oops! wait! they flew the remaining passengers who had passports to the next port. Those with just birth certificates had a vacation on Puerto Rico and then had to go home. (no cruise)

*A few years ago a storm was coming towards San Juan....big time....so all the cruise ships sailed early, leaving no small number of passengers behind. The cruise lines stepped up and flew the remaining passengers to the next port to join the ship....oops! wait! they flew the remaining passengers who had passports to the next port. Those with just birth certificates had a vacation on Puerto Rico and then had to go home. (no cruise)

Very smart statement. The passport card is only good for sea and land travel. So, if as stated, you need to catch up with your cruise in a non-U.S. jurisdiction or come back to U.S. territory BY AIR, you must have a passport book. I'm sure you would still be able to get back to safe U.S. land without a book, but it would take some needless delays.

Again, travel to Puerto Rico from the anywhere in the U.S. is just the same as traveling to, say Florida, but once you leave the U.S. realm from Puerto Rico it's another story.