Rhapsody - sth. Pacific - christmas review

Hi there

For anyone who is thinking of coming out to Australia and being on board the Rhapsody of the Seas for Christmas - here is my mini review:

Departure date: 19th December 2013

Departure location: OPT, Sydney Harbour

Cruise details: 10 nights cruising the South Pacific - stopping at Noumea, Lifou and Champagne Bay. Christmas Day & Boxing Day at sea.

Boarding at OPT. Quick and easy.

Rhapsody is a beautiful cruise vessel and she looked even more beautiful with her Christmas decorations: Beautiful Christmas tree in the Centrum, tubs of red Poinsetta flowers around the balconies of the centrum, a gorgeous buffet table display of Gingerbread houses in the Windjammer (Buffet restaurant) and another gorgeous Gingerbread display on Deck 4 or 5 (can;t remember exactly).

I decorated my cabin door with 3D Christmas wreath and Santa and this was appreciated by passing guests. Several of my fellow guests decorated their cabin doors with mini red santa stockings. We were on Deck 2 which was nice and quiet. We had an inside cabin and found the beds to be very comfy.

Fellow guests were very friendly and happy. Lovely vibe on board.

We left Sydney on a beautiful sunny day and Sydney Harbour looked fab. One Love Reggae band played on the pool deck as we sailed past Sydney Opera House. Great atmosphere.

First two days were sea days. Lovely weather and calm seas.

First port was Noumea. We did the ship tour to Amedee Lighthouse Island. This was a 45 high speed boat ride to the island. Arrived on a gorgeous sunny day and Amedee Island was picture perfect beautiful. Great place to snorkel. Delicious fresh buffet lunch and french red wine supplied. Island dance show whilst we were eating. Lunch was followed by a glass bottom boat tour which kids and teens loved. Lots of fish and we saw turtles.

Then a challenging climb to the top of the lighthouse with fantastic views of the island and its surrounding reef. Souvenir shop opened in afternoon and you could buy postcards and stamps which could be posted on the island.

then more time to do snorkelling before re-boarding the transfer boat back to Noumea and short coach transfer back to the Rhapsody. Great day out.

Second port was Lifou. Small island best for snorkelling. You pay the local $15pp AUD to snorkel at Jinek Bay.

Christmas Eve was spent at Champagne Bay, Vanuatu. One of the most beautiful beaches in Vanuatu. Cruises dont stop here very often so we were lucky. Stunning blue water, clean white sand and very friendly locals selling souvenirs and beach gear from many many markets. Being Christmas Eve, "Santa" RCCL crew was on the beach for Santa photos. My teen had a photo and this was one of her favourite of the whole cruise. Locals have outrigger canoes for a ride out into the gorgeous crystal clear water. $5pp AUD. My teens loved this.

Christmas Eve is when it all happens on board.

Many guests were Christmas shirts, decorations, hats etc. Very festive.

Windjammer staff greeted us all wearing Santa hats.

At 6.30pm we had the 4 main production singers sing Christmas songs in the Centrum. This was lovely.

This was followed by a reading by the Cruise Director of the "Night before Christmas"

We then had free champagne (red, white or green) in the Centrum and were given Christmas carol song books. The production singers and crew then sang Carols with all guests. Loved this.

This was followed by the aerial artists performing to Michael Buble. Awesome.

There was also face painting available for the younger guests.

Midnight Mass in the theatre.

Christmas morning, Santa is in the Centrum in his official red chair, giving away RCCL gifts to every child under 17 on board. This went from 9.30am-11.30am. Your child's name was marked off a list - so no double dipping!

You could have a photo with Santa as well.

Rest of Christmas Day was fairly quiet. Many families on board so no doubt everyone spent it with their families. The mens belly flop competition had been moved from another scheduled day to Christmas Day. This was very popular and my teens loved it.

Christmas Dinner in the MDR. It was a formal night. We had christmas crackers on the table (one per guest) Christmas items were on the menu. Food and service was excellent as always.

Boxing Day was a normal sea day.

On the last day, we were near the Australian coast, so the Australian vs England Ashes cricket test was on the room tv and on the big screen near the pool. Many Aussies on this cruise so it was appreciated. My cricket mad son very happy.

We had lovely weather and calm seas throughout the cruise.

This was my first cruise and I loved the Rhapsody and had a lovely time.

Edited by aussielozzie18