Different story after we booked

jerrypepe

We booked a suite on the 01/12/2014 Sunshine for myself, wife ,our 2 year old son and my mother.When I booked I was assured we would have a crib in our room but to call back a couple of weeks before the cruise to verify.

So yesterday I called to verify and it seems now they tell me I will have to notify housekeeping when we board,and if there are any available we could get one.

So if he wants to have a place to sleep, we will have to arrange to take a pack/play and pay extra for flying with that..

We are in a 360 SQ Ft room, why Carnival?? can we not have a confirmation about a crib. :mad:

Does your little one sleep in a crib or toddler bed at home? Ours was switched to a toddler bed at 2 1/2, and we use this when we travel now.

toddler-bed-3q-.jpg

It could fit in a larger suitcase (folds up to about the size of a shoebox), uses crib size bedding and you can slide it under the bed, stand it up out of the way or even deflate it each day. It's not cheap, but at least you'll have it for future use also. We take ours with us to use in hotels, sleepovers, grandparents house, etc.

Edited by aggie_gal

He is a needy little thing and he sleeps in a regular crib and does not do well with a change in routine, ecpecially sleeping. If they just had told me at the beginning we would need to bring the pack/play have waited for him to be older. We are already at our luggage limit.. with diapers and all.

Hehe...I know all about routine. The world functions so much better when toddlers are on a routine! Hopefully you can get some clarification soon! Maybe buy diaperssupplies when you land instead of packing them to free up some space?

Nonetheless, enjoy your cruise...les than 2 weeks!! :)

Does your little one sleep in a crib or toddler bed at home? Ours was switched to a toddler bed at 2 1/2, and we use this when we travel now.

toddler-bed-3q-.jpg

It could fit in a larger suitcase (folds up to about the size of a shoebox), uses crib size bedding and you can slide it under the bed, stand it up out of the way or even deflate it each day. It's not cheap, but at least you'll have it for future use also. We take ours with us to use in hotels, sleepovers, grandparents house, etc.

Love it. Where can on purchase it and what is it called?

Chris

Have you tried contacting Special Needs department and see if they can help?

Not technically a special needs, but it's especially needed!!! ;)

This sounds like great advice.

OP please let us know how you make out....this is terrible customer service.

I have been on hold for more the last couple of days than I can believe. Because he is 2 they say their system will not allow them to reserve one for me and i should bring pack/play just in case:mad:. They knew how old he was when we booked so frustrating

It's called "The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed". They also make a twin size, but the toddler size is perfect for us. We got ours on Amazon (we have Amazon Prime and order as much as we can through Amazon), but I know you can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't know what other B&M stores have them.

Our little guy moves a LOT in his sleep and he's never rolled out of it or gotten wedged between the mattress and sides. We do blow it up fairly firm. I just like that it's compact and it also fits crib bedding!

The also have a blow up bed rail that tucks under a fitted sheet. We're taking that on our cruise because it folds up and tucks in a pouch about the size of a small canteloupe, pump included. He's planning on sleeping on the couch in our cabin.

The_Shrunks_Inflatable_Bedguard_xl_2.jpg

I took my two year old twins and used a peapod. I set it up for them to sleep in a couple of days before we left and tried to make it fun for them, like they were camping. They loved them because they were like a little tent! Worked great for the cruise and they didn't take up a lot of space either. Of course, one of the air mattresses sprung a leak and I thought we were toast... But they came with a patch kit and we patched it up. ;)

http://www.dearbornbaby.com/product.php?productid=554&cat=0#

We haved cruised with DD twice. We requested a crib each time, but they can not be guaranteed by carnival. We received a crib both times. It was not in the cabin either time we arrived, but we just reminded the room attendant as soon as we could. Also, request an infant sized life jacket, there has never been one one the cabin. Happy sailing!

Don't panic, if you need a crib, you will have a crib. We travelled with our daughter in July who was 18 months and when we arrived in the room, no crib. We asked our room steward and he brought it right away...then we discovered the crib was too small for her so we moved on to plan B. Our steward turned the couch around so it was like a bed/crib she couldn't fall out of and actually was much better and safer for her. But, whatever you need, they will help you with for sure. I don't know that I've ever heard of a crib shortage on board, they just can't "guarantee" one.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been on hold for more the last couple of days than I can believe. Because he is 2 they say their system will not allow them to reserve one for me and i should bring pack/play just in case:mad:. They knew how old he was when we booked so frustrating

That's strange. After we booked, we called the 800 number and requested a crib for the two and a half year old. It was in the cabin and was made up when we boarded.

That's strange. After we booked, we called the 800 number and requested a crib for the two and a half year old. It was in the cabin and was made up when we boarded.

All cruise lines are consistently inconsistent. :D

We booked a suite on the 01/12/2014 Sunshine for myself, wife ,our 2 year old son and my mother.When I booked I was assured we would have a crib in our room but to call back a couple of weeks before the cruise to verify.

So yesterday I called to verify and it seems now they tell me I will have to notify housekeeping when we board,and if there are any available we could get one.

So if he wants to have a place to sleep, we will have to arrange to take a pack/play and pay extra for flying with that..

We are in a 360 SQ Ft room, why Carnival?? can we not have a confirmation about a crib. :mad:

You are talking to a rep in Miami, and you are getting the crib on a ship. We spent 37 days on the Sunshine (3 cruises) and people we know had cribs put in their rooms. Over 3 different cruises we never heard of one being unavailable or someone who didn't get one.

You stateroom steward is responsible for getting it and setting it up, and we saw many being delivered on the Sunshine on embarkation day.

There is a good chance that it will be set up in the hours after you board (we have seen this on many cruises) Occasionally it would be set up when people got on, but now with early readiness of cabins, more of these things are done throughout the embarkation day.

You will have one I am sure by the time you return from dinner. The ones we did see on the ship (not sure if these are all that are available) were metal cribs that they assembled, they were not like pack and plays. They were brought and delivered on dollies, and appear to be quite heavy.

I do not think you have to worry about having one, you will have one, but it might not be ready for you when you board but would certainly be ready by the time he went to bed that night.

My kids are grown now but I had 6 of them. They were all out of cribs by 1 1/2. I am not saying you should have him in a crib, but maybe like others suggested above, it is days away, and maybe making the transition right now so he is used to it and it is part of his routine when you cruise. It certainly will make your travel easier. In my experience (I know every kid is different) but routines are established quite quickly at 2 1/2 (they do get bored with throwing tantrums about it), and after a few days to make the change, there is usually not a problem.

Edited by 13607

You will have no problem getting a crib. The time of year you are cruising is not peak family cruising since the kids are all back in school. I have cruised with a crib either 2 or 3 times, I can't remember, but I've always gotten one delivered to the room before bedtime. The room steward always had our request noted, but I reminded them just to be sure. Even during June when it IS peak time, I got a crib with no problems. Don't worry and don't bring the pack & play. It is not a full size crib, but our kids have always slept fine in them, even at 2+ years.

Edited by cruzzza