How Has Costa Changed in 27 Years

Cruise Arizona

No way! Costa is now owned by Carnival, and ships are much bigger, although not crowded.

Forget about luxury and personal service as it was 25-30 years ago (even on formal nights you will find very few tuxes and just some more jacket and tie). Now it is like to be in a good holyday resort and not more. This apply to all mass market cruise lines.

The reason, I guess is exactly that they are mass market. 30 years ago cruising was for few people as prices were high, while now lot of people take a cruise, I do not mean this is bad, but simply different.

• 1 month later...

I still return to different places I visited in Europe 30 years ago and wonder what happened. It seems reading everyone's responses that there are many things good about Costa. I look forward to it all. We each come with different expectations so we can't all be happy with what we get. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been on 21 cruises, 6 of them on Costa. 2 times on Carla Costa, 1 time Costa Daphne, 1 time Costa Allegra, 1 time Costa Victoria and last December Costa Mediterranea. Costa is Costa all the time. I love that italian line. On the Costa Mediterranea I booked a cabin with verandah and 2 weeks before the cruise they gave me a Panorama Suite. I can tell you that I am travelling with Costa since 1987 and Costa is still the wonderful line that I know.

Go for it

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

Don't expect the quality of the past! The ships are very elegant, but the service and Officer staff do not measure up to the beauty of the decor. The rooms are very nice and large enough to feel comfortable in. The dinning room staff and fare is excellent. The buffet, well the buffet is a total disaster! Poor quality, quantity, and dismal service. Good luck trying to find silverware! Somewhere along the line Costa dropped the ball in offering a complete package that measures up the elegance of the ships. The worst thing for me as a paying customer was the complete lack of concern for my issues from the Officer staff! If I want to pay to be ignored, I'll go to the DMV! :cool:

Archived