Need Help! Aegean v Adriatic v Black Sea

So I've narrowed it down to three itineraries, but I can't decide on which so need some help!

It's either Ancient Wonders (Istanbul, Mytilene, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi), Adriatic Explorer (Koper, Venice, Zadar, Dubrovnik, Kotor) or Crimean Discovery (Istanbul, Constanta, Sevastopol, Mykonos).

Never done the Black Sea before, so the Crimean Discovery one does appeal, and I like the Celebration. But, it is only going to Sevastopol and Constanta in the Black Sea, and I've heard bad things about Constanta. No Nessebar next year, plus two days at sea. Also, Fraser did hint that they were looking at more 14 night Black Sea cruises for 2015 instead of just the one, so maybe 2015 would be better for the Black Sea?

Been to all the ports on Ancient Wonders except Mytilene, and like them all especially Istanbul and Santorini. But, last time Celebration did Santorini it had a lot of problems docking and often missed it so choosing this itinerary for Santorini might lead to disappointment.

Then Adriatic Explorer. Done it before, but would love to do it again! Ports of call wise this one wins hands down, but Majesty concerns me. Reviews are mixed. We like the West End style shows, which I know aren't as good on Majesty, and we usually go for the lowest deck inside cabin, but I believe that these are extremely small and a 'Plus' cabin would be needed? Those that have been on Dream and/or Celebration/Spirit, is Majesty a disappointment? I've been trying to find a similar Adriatic itinerary with other cruise lines, but nothing compares to Thomson's one. Most others begin/end in Venice, so with flights leaves no time in Venice itself, plus try and match the Adriatic with Greece and Turkey in 7 nights, so you usually have to choose between an itinerary with just Dubrovnik or one with just Kotor in the Adriatic. Rubbish compared to Thomson's!

So, which do I go with? HELP!!!! :D:D:D

Edited by Sailaway487

We were in the same boat as you (so to speak!). Would have loved to go on the Celebration again but have done all their summer itineraries (except Israel but would prefer to go there in the winter one day)

We loved the Black Sea this year but would not be keen on 2 days at sea (not my favourite days when the ship is full!).

The sail through the Bosphorous at 1am was beautiful as was the sail back at 6am into & out of the Black Sea so that has to be an added bonus of the Black Sea Cruise as well as a return visit to Istanbul & the sail through the Dardanelles. We loved Sevastapol; not so keen on Constanta but glad we have been although wouldn't go back!!

We missed Santorini due to high winds & did enjoy Mytiiliene this year. Have done the Ancient Wonders twice & saw different things both times. Had a really good trip to the Corinth Canal this year from Piraeus.

Would be nice to see Celebration again now they have put in the new coffee shop & we do love the ship!

We would love to do the Adriatic again but would not go on the Majesty for lots of reasons I have read on here.

We have instead opted for a B2B on the Dream although I do think we will really miss the Eastern Med as we do so love that part of the world.....

Good luck with your choice :)

Edited by Julessmiles

We were in the same boat as you (so to speak!). Would have loved to go on the Celebration again but have done all their summer itineraries (except Israel but would prefer to go there in the winter one day)

We loved the Black Sea this year but would not be keen on 2 days at sea (not my favourite days when the ship is full!).

The sail through the Bosphorous at 1am was beautiful as was the sail back at 6am into & out of the Black Sea so that has to be an added bonus of the Black Sea Cruise as well as a return visit to Istanbul & the sail through the Dardanelles. We loved Sevastapol; not so keen on Constanta but glad we have been although wouldn't go back!!

We missed Santorini due to high winds & did enjoy Mytiiliene this year. Have done the Ancient Wonders twice & saw different things both times. Had a really good trip to the Corinth Canal this year from Piraeus.

Would be nice to see Celebration again now they have put in the new coffee shop & we do love the ship!

We would love to do the Adriatic again but would not go on the Majesty for lots of reasons I have read on here.

We have instead opted for a B2B on the Dream although I do think we will really miss the Eastern Med as we do so love that part of the world.....

Good luck with your choice :)

Dilemma isn't it! :D

Done the Western Med on the Dream the past couple of years because of doing the Eastern Med a few years running, but I have to say I do prefer the Eastern Med slightly, hence my wish to return this year. Have you been on the Dream before? If you like Celebration, I'm sure you will really enjoy the Dream also!

If only they could put Celebration or Spirit from Corfu for a few months for the Adriatic, would make my decision a lot easier! :D

Was hoping for a change in 2015 for Corfu, but looks like it is Majesty again.

Dilemma isn't it! :D

Done the Western Med on the Dream the past couple of years because of doing the Eastern Med a few years running, but I have to say I do prefer the Eastern Med slightly, hence my wish to return this year. Have you been on the Dream before? If you like Celebration, I'm sure you will really enjoy the Dream also!

If only they could put Celebration or Spirit from Corfu for a few months for the Adriatic, would make my decision a lot easier! :D

Was hoping for a change in 2015 for Corfu, but looks like it is Majesty again.

We did the Adriatic in 2010 - the last year the Spirit went from there I believe.

We haven't been on the Dream yet - this will be our first time. Hoping we have made the right choice as we have so loved the Spirit & Celebration!

If it was my choice & I hadn't done the Black Sea, I would chose that one; 2nd choice Ancient Wonders. By the way we didn't get to Mykonos in 2013 due to rough seas & they routed us to Bodrum - we know the Bodrum area very well & had a fantastic day there in a nearby beach resort village.

If you enjoy the Black Sea, you can always go back again in 2015 if they decide to do more 2 weeks - I would definitely return to the Black Sea; one of our best cruises!

We did the Adriatic in 2010 - the last year the Spirit went from there I believe.

We haven't been on the Dream yet - this will be our first time. Hoping we have made the right choice as we have so loved the Spirit & Celebration!

If it was my choice & I hadn't done the Black Sea, I would chose that one; 2nd choice Ancient Wonders. By the way we didn't get to Mykonos in 2013 due to rough seas & they routed us to Bodrum - we know the Bodrum area very well & had a fantastic day there in a nearby beach resort village.

If you enjoy the Black Sea, you can always go back again in 2015 if they decide to do more 2 weeks - I would definitely return to the Black Sea; one of our best cruises!

I agree with julessmiles - one cruise to the Black Sea is unlikely to satisfy your curiosity, so why not take the Celebration one this year, and if next year's look interesting, then go again! We went two years running to Sevastopol, Nessebar, Constanta, Istanbul- there was plenty to see even if Constanta was a bit lacking.

kate

I agree with julessmiles - one cruise to the Black Sea is unlikely to satisfy your curiosity, so why not take the Celebration one this year, and if next year's look interesting, then go again! We went two years running to Sevastopol, Nessebar, Constanta, Istanbul- there was plenty to see even if Constanta was a bit lacking.

kate

Now I'm really confused!!! I kind of had in my head the Black Sea in third place, but now you both are convincing me otherwise! :D

Hi Sailaway

I've been on all the Thomson ships now- we went on Majesty in November for the first time - expecting not to like as much as the others but we were very pleased with everything.The shows were just as good- even better in some respects as the resident band did a half hour warm up before the showteam came on with their show.

We had a plus cabin but really you spend so little time in them....The staff on the Majesty are lovely- we even had the same cabin steward that we first met on our first cruise on the Emerald way back in 2008!

We have booked Adriatic Explorerer yet again for May 2014 (it will be my 4th time and hubby's 2nd), on Majesty this time, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the places again.

Thats my recommendation!

Flopsy

Well I'll put my two penn'th in too but don't expect it to help as I can't come to a conclusion either!!!

Just a query about the failure to get into Santorini - was that a few seasons ago or was that a problem this last year too? We missed Santorini a few years ago which was a bad year - I know it's always a possibility but as I understand it, apparently that season the prevailing winds were coming from a different direction blowing directly into the caldera (more unusual weather patterns!) which was why the hit rate was so bad. This may not be a fair assessment of the average success getting to Santorini over the years. I know I've mentioned the possibilities of being unable of tender into Thira but that particular bad record may not be typical. So perhaps worth trying to get an idea of the normal success/failure rate - if that's possible to do.

I We absolutely love Istanbul and thoroughly enjoyed the Black Sea and would like to go again. But I'm not sure how satisfying I would find the Ancient Wonders itinerary - there's just not enough of the Black Sea for me although kate's idea of using it as a taster is an idea. But given the Constanta issue and absence of other more appealing ports of call in the Black Sea I think I'd be tempted to wait for a 14 nighter especially if that includes an over night in Istanbul (great atmosphere there in the evening with the restaurants with their outdoor seating with big comfy cushions). Also Yalta is a good stop and I believe Odessa too although we didn't go there so hopefully they might figure in a two week itinerary - plus Nessebar too.

You mention the tiny standard cabins on Majesty - they are very tight. We always have a basic inside and are always happy enough with them (just done 22 nights in one on Dream and never felt any sense of being cramped, claustrophobic or unhappy with the accommodation) but can't say the same about the equivalent grade of cabin on Majesty. It's a wardrobe width narrower than any of the other ships and the bed is pushed up to the wall on one side and with no clearance round the bottom of the bed you have no option but for one of you to climb over to get into bed. (You actually fare better if set up as singles as at least there is a narrow gap between the beds to retreat into). The storage is also dire.

So yes I would say a 'plus' is necessary - at least it would be for me. The itinerary is a belter though - and there's the rub. As I've put on record before I don't care for the ship; self service seating inadequate (Café Royale seats only about 100 compared with 400+ on Celebration but there is plenty outdoor seating - if the weather permits), show lounge issues although I think they have addressed the type of shows they now perform - we only got Concerto style shows in the early days but the theatre design still isn't good. But we did have a good cruise - food, service and itinerary excellent but perhaps going with your eyes open and being aware of these issues (if they are an issue for you - clearly they aren't for some who love the Majesty) then it won't be an issue. That's all part of the factors you have weighed up prior to booking.

I know this hasn't helped!!! But they are the thoughts which came to mind on reading of your dilemma. I would hesitate to make a recommendation but in throwing in a few more angles I hope it adds to the bank of info you have to base your decision making. Good luck with it Sailaway - not an easy decision to make. :) ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

So I've narrowed it down to three itineraries, but I can't decide on which so need some help!

It's either Ancient Wonders (Istanbul, Mytilene, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi), Adriatic Explorer (Koper, Venice, Zadar, Dubrovnik, Kotor) or Crimean Discovery (Istanbul, Constanta, Sevastopol, Mykonos).

Never done the Black Sea before, so the Crimean Discovery one does appeal, and I like the Celebration. But, it is only going to Sevastopol and Constanta in the Black Sea, and I've heard bad things about Constanta. No Nessebar next year, plus two days at sea. Also, Fraser did hint that they were looking at more 14 night Black Sea cruises for 2015 instead of just the one, so maybe 2015 would be better for the Black Sea?

Been to all the ports on Ancient Wonders except Mytilene, and like them all especially Istanbul and Santorini. But, last time Celebration did Santorini it had a lot of problems docking and often missed it so choosing this itinerary for Santorini might lead to disappointment.

Then Adriatic Explorer. Done it before, but would love to do it again! Ports of call wise this one wins hands down, but Majesty concerns me. Reviews are mixed. We like the West End style shows, which I know aren't as good on Majesty, and we usually go for the lowest deck inside cabin, but I believe that these are extremely small and a 'Plus' cabin would be needed? Those that have been on Dream and/or Celebration/Spirit, is Majesty a disappointment? I've been trying to find a similar Adriatic itinerary with other cruise lines, but nothing compares to Thomson's one. Most others begin/end in Venice, so with flights leaves no time in Venice itself, plus try and match the Adriatic with Greece and Turkey in 7 nights, so you usually have to choose between an itinerary with just Dubrovnik or one with just Kotor in the Adriatic. Rubbish compared to Thomson's!

So, which do I go with? HELP!!!! :D:D:D

Hi Sailaway. Well, compared with the other recommendations mine are limited, but here goes.

I have only been on Majesty, so cannot compare with other Thomson ships, but I travelled with a friend who has done 3 RCI ships. She said Majesty compared very favourably and better with RCI (dining, entertainment, friendliness, staff, can bring own drinks for cabin use, tips included, no extra tax applied to drinks, etc) but that Majesty lacked the WOW factor...no ice rink shows, no sunbeds near pool, smaller ship..

I have done 4 itineraries up to now and the Adriatic was IMO the best. Compared with my friend's RCI Adriatic cruise, we had longer in port, only one sea day, no tender ports and a full day in Venice with a fantastic live show sailing out of Venice. I too would love to do Adriatic again.

As to Majesty, I would definitely recommend paying the little extra for a Plus room. At only £4 a day each for an inside plus, it is so worth it. We had a standard inside to change in on our last day and IMO it would have ruined my holiday it was really just like a walk in cupboard!! I could manage on a last minute bargain ...I think, maybe not! :rolleyes: :eek:

Just backing up what others have said really...

If doing 2 weeks on Majesty a PLUS cabin is a MUST, I would rough it in a normal one for a week if I had to, but they are well worth the extra.

There are some things on the Majesty that niggles, like the buffet dining spaces and the pool/sunbed arrangements, but the food is excellent (bigger portions too) and the entertainment was superb, but we were spoiled last year with Brandi, Max, and Rob. Those lucky enough to go on the Dream this summer will have their company.

Flopsy's point about the band coming on half an hour before the main show really does make a difference, it's so much better than sat listening to canned music.

We are not sure what to do this summer, so may have a similar dilemma having done most of the itineraries except the Black Sea. Loads on our last cruise were raving about RCCI, but we are not sure if it's for us.

Just backing up what others have said really...

If doing 2 weeks on Majesty a PLUS cabin is a MUST, I would rough it in a normal one for a week if I had to, but they are well worth the extra.

There are some things on the Majesty that niggles, like the buffet dining spaces and the pool/sunbed arrangements, but the food is excellent (bigger portions too) and the entertainment was superb, but we were spoiled last year with Brandi, Max, and Rob. Those lucky enough to go on the Dream this summer will have their company.

Flopsy's point about the band coming on half an hour before the main show really does make a difference, it's so much better than sat listening to canned music.

We are not sure what to do this summer, so may have a similar dilemma having done most of the itineraries except the Black Sea. Loads on our last cruise were raving about RCCI, but we are not sure if it's for us.

Just for information, on the Dream during the Transatlantic, the trio (guitars and double bass - sorry can't remember their name) popped up all over the ship at different times - they were like wandering minstrels! This included doing a session prior to each show in the show lounge - not on the stage but round and about the auditorium. So perhaps this is the pattern on all the ships now. I do agree it was a huge improvement on the canned music - and very popular indeed. They always got a great reception.

Thank you everyone for your help! I knew I could rely on you all for some good advice. ;)

I think I'm going to say no to the Black Sea one for now as I don't think 7 nights is enough for this area, plus two days at sea in one week doesn't sound appealing. There maybe a chance for a second cruise in September, so by then we will know summer 2015 itineraries, and if the number of 14 night Black Sea itineraries hasn't increased then this could be an option for then.

So Adriatic v Aegean. Adriatic still wins itinerary wise, but still not too sure about Majesty. It would seem that most say it would have to be a brilliant itinerary to choose to cruise on Majesty, but then the Adriatic is isn't it! Celebration's Ancient Wonders is considerably cheaper though. Decisions decisions...

Edited by Sailaway487

Just wondering, has anyone been on Majesty and The Emerald. Did The Emerald the year it left Thomson, and that also had similar issues that the Majesty seems to have, but we really enjoyed our cruise on it! Everyone on that one had to take their food from the buffet upstairs to a bar because of limited space and the show lounge was small. Anyone who has been on these two ships, how do they compare? Are they quite similar or is Majesty significantly worse?

I have to say I agree with your decision to do 14 nights on the Black Sea it's a much better itinerary.

I think the other two are both good itineraries so am no help at all in helping you as I haven't been on the Majesty either.:confused: I've been on the Emerald and can't remember any problems with the buffet but maybe we ate in the dinning room??.........it's a long time ago.

Just re-read that, and it's totally unhelpful, but I thought I'd share anyway.:rolleyes::D

Just wondering, has anyone been on Majesty and The Emerald. Did The Emerald the year it left Thomson, and that also had similar issues that the Majesty seems to have, but we really enjoyed our cruise on it! Everyone on that one had to take their food from the buffet upstairs to a bar because of limited space and the show lounge was small. Anyone who has been on these two ships, how do they compare? Are they quite similar or is Majesty significantly worse?

Hi Sailaway

I was on the Emerald the year it left Thomson- that was my first cruise.When we went on the Majesty in November we had the same cabin steward we had back on the Emerald!

I loved everything about the Emerald but at that time I had nothing to compare it with! We went on the Majesty- me with trepidation because of what I had read on here, but hubby innocently had no concerns because he doesn't look on here! We both loved it.I know some think the theatre is inferior in some respects but I found it quite appealing- it'a almost a 'theatre in the round', withe seats almost all round the circular thrust stage.I liked it.There was never a shortage os seats in November- in fact I believe that there are more seats in this theatre than on the other ships.

Now as to restaurants- I have never been able to drag hubby into the waiter service restaurant at night- he always wanted to go into the informal buffet, which has limited seating numbers wise.However we always went at 6pm as it opened and it was never crowded at this time.Yes, you can take your food down to the deck below bar if there are no seats left.On the Emerald I was with my cousin and we were much more inclined to join others on the large round tables they had in the buffet restaurant.

We have booked to go on the Majesty again in May and I have no worries this time.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Flopsy

I have just put a comment on the Majesty thread as I feel so sorry for Majesty as she seems to get a lot of bad press, and with so many liking her as well, she gets pulled about a bit and I can understand folk worrying about what they have booked.

We are going on her for the first time in May on a B2B Adriatic Explorer/Aegean Delights and we are really looking forward to our cruise.

Edited by gillhalfpint

We sailed the Adriatic explorer on the Majesty last year, the itinary is fantastic, every port is really nice.

Majesty is a lovely friendly ship, my only complaint was the buffet restaurant wasn't up to scratch, simple as, the food was cold and not very interesting, also not enough places to eat your meal once you had it.

The cabins are also tiny if you don't upgrade, sounds like i am moaning, but i don't mean to really, we had a brilliant time aboard the Majesty.

Please try the Adriatic, it's a beautiful trip.