Questions on Pride of America

Daisy4235

We are planning a cruise on this ship, probably August/September. Does anyone know if the seas are typically calm or rough at that time of year (I know weather is not always predictable). Is there any time during that period that it would be quieter? I don't know when the school holidays are and whether that makes a difference? (we are coming from New Zealand) We will be travelling with my grandson who will be nearly 2. Anyone cruised with a wee one that age and any hints? Also suggestions as to what ports are easy to do your own thing rather than the excursions? I think I have read that mostly the ship docks in port areas where you are a fair way from the townships or beaches? Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully received thanks.

My Mom and Dad did Hawaii on a different line and they had no problems just either walking around in the ports or hopping on the local bus. My Dad is not an excursion type person so he's happy wandering and then heading back to the ship. There were also enrichment speakers on board while in port. My Mom attended a lei making class and the speaker told of all the different meanings of the flowers, etc. Also, a lot of people will hire a car at each port and do sightseeing on their own, so that is also a great option when travelling with a tot.

As for travelling with a wee one, you'll have play time on board see the Daily schedule. NCL is probably a great way to cruise with a toddler as dining times can be accommodating on their schedule and not the cruise line's dictate. If not potty trained he will not be allowed in the swimming pools, so an inflatable pool would be a good alternative.

As for the seas....well they aren't all that rough, but you never know :D

Schools are usually back in session from Mid to end of August to the first week of Sept.

Hello! You can definitely do each port completely on your own, but not all are walkable. You'll want to either pre-arrange a rental car or some kind of activity or private excursion. While we chose to book a few things through NCL (you can read a full review of our POA cruise via the link in my signature), there really is no need to. Kona is completely walkable and it there is a beach within walking distance in Kauai as well. However, I would recommend getting out a bit and exploring the islands a bit as well - you won't fully experience Hawaii if you don't explore a bit. Enjoy your adventure!

We were on POA in July and agree with other poster about Kona and a beach nearby. Driving on the islands would be easy specially with a navigation system you can rent or bring with you with a USA chip. About the only place I would NOT drive would be on Oahu. Major traffic all day in the Waikiki area then add driving on the opposite side would give me a headache. I would find private transportation via taxi, bus or a booked excursion.

Hello! You can definitely do each port completely on your own, but not all are walkable. You'll want to either pre-arrange a rental car or some kind of activity or private excursion. While we chose to book a few things through NCL (you can read a full review of our POA cruise via the link in my signature), there really is no need to. Kona is completely walkable and it there is a beach within walking distance in Kauai as well. However, I would recommend getting out a bit and exploring the islands a bit as well - you won't fully experience Hawaii if you don't explore a bit. Enjoy your adventure!

Puddles I just spent some time finding and reading your review. Thank you so much it was great, and really helpful about the excursions as we don't plan to rent cars (driving on the wrong side of the road is too scary). Also thanks so much for supplying the dailies when you were so busy at work, I think everyone really appreciated that. I am looking forward to this trip even more now!

Daisy4235, have you considered private tours? I was on the POA in July 2013 with our extended family, including my disabled mother, (the other end of the spectrum from the wee one) and I refuse to drive. (On vacation, I don't even want to drive on the "right" side of the road, I don't care how easy, what a snap, etc., it is to rent cars. I'm on vacation, I don't drive.)

We used Mary Lou's on Hilo and Kona and they were wonderful. I am sure they could tailor a tour to a two year old, and you could go back to the ship on your timetable (as we did with Mom). If you visit the Hawaii Boards, you will see other suggestions for private tours.

As Puddles said, Kona is completely walkable if you wish, and I spent two days at Kauai on Kalapaki beach, an easy stroll (and easy to push a wheelchair) from the ship.

happy cruising,

el henry

Puddles I just spent some time finding and reading your review. Thank you so much it was great, and really helpful about the excursions as we don't plan to rent cars (driving on the wrong side of the road is too scary). Also thanks so much for supplying the dailies when you were so busy at work, I think everyone really appreciated that. I am looking forward to this trip even more now!

You're welcome - I'm glad it can be a resource. If you have any more questions, ask away. As you can see, there are a lot of folks who have cruised POA and are happy to share their experiences.