Something to ponder

Where in W. Tx did you grow up? I grew up in Midland, and saw a LOT of the 'cowboy tux' as well. Back in the day, it was white shirt, yes freshly starched black JEANS and a tux jacket with a bow tie or a bolo tie and a giant black felt hat. This was totally acceptable, and most of the men who started that look were actually hicks (no offense) who struck it rich in the the oil business, and if they wanted to wear jeans and a hat to any formal affair, no one questioned the new millionaires. Of course, that's all there was there, no "old money" really, so society there pretty much was dictated by a select group of folks. Weird, yes, I know....which is why I moved outta there!!! LOL:D

I think I prefer the Sheplers guy to the minsky guy.

I guess I go for the older distinguished looking type.

Yeah, you're right. He has more character in his face. The other is cute, but too young.

Esther

Susa,

I did go over to Celbrity and respond to your thread overthere. I was tryingto be a little humorous, so hopefully you'll find my suggestions amusing.

I think the one exception to the indoor rule that is never mentioned is a themed party, where everyone is requested to wear a western hat. In this case mabey the hat is considered part of the entertainment. This would apply to something like the "Black Tie and Boots Ball" or "Country Western Night in the Disco" on a cruise ship.

But from what I found on the internet, the rules seem to be: OK to wear a hat in a more open transitional indoor space like lobbies or corridores, but not OK in a Dinning Room or more personal space.

For more details on the subject see the post on the celebrity board.

I probably wouldn't care if a gentleman wore a Texas Tux during a formal dinner, as long as he was comfortable and the clothes fit him properly.

As for wearing hats indoors...having spent most of my adult life in the Army, I cannot tolerate anyone wearing hats indoors (unless you're in a costume as mentioned previously, or you're armed, which opens up an entirely different can of worms)...and I have not met a southern gentleman who would wear his hat inside.

Personally I like diversity, and pity men who are forced to wear a suit with only the accessories to add some personality.

Thank God I'm a girl :D

~e

I think the Texas tux would be fine. If that's formal wear where someone comes from, then that person should be able to wear it as formal wear. Think of the Scottish kilts that some Scotts wear for formal nights on a cruise -- also perfectly acceptable. A variety of types of formal wear is interesting. And much more appropriate IMHO than people dressed casually on formal night.

I wonder why there never seems to be anyone on the Cunard Threads asking about "western" formal or jeans in the dining room etc. Could it be that those who cruise Cunard do not need to ask such questions as they already know the answer? The more MASS the mass market line is the more questions there are about how can "we" lower the dress code bar.

But hey - Ray Kroch knew he had a winner with McDonald's, Sam Walton with Walmart and Carnival with Carnival. It will be interesting to see if Carnival will destroy HAL and Cunard or if they will leave them alone as upscale lines. There still is a need for places where one can dress up without having to be subjected to the "It's my vacation and I'll dress as I like" crowd.

I posted this on Celebrity, and atleast one person liked it so I thought I put it over here in this thread too. I guess I started pondering my own question a little too much and decided to find out when and where and how to wear a hat.

Not being a hat etiquette expert myself I looked it up and here is what I found:

http://www.bcvc.net/hats/index.htm

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:

(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;

(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;

(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;

(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;

(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;

(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

and:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...ts_and_caps.htm

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

And from:

http://www.theldom.com/askthelma/column/20040921.html

It's appropriate for men and women to wear casual hats in public areas like a store, hallway or building lobby that you are just passing through. Once you reach your destination - a restaurant, museum, theater, office, home or church - removing your cap shows respect to those around you or to the sanctity of the place you've entered.

and from:

http://www.western-cowboy-hats.com/...-etiquette.html

Whenever you enter a building, you should remove your hat. If it is an informal event you may put the hat back on again, however it should be left off if it is a formal event.

So Susa, Although I love cowboys and cowboy hats, it doesn't seem to be considered proper to wear them during formal dinner, However if your husband insist, you can make him eat at the Bar (kind of a lunch counter) or just have him sing a few songs with the musicians in the dinning room.

And as long as he stays in the hallways, and Lobby (Artrium) of the cruise ship, he can leave his hat on all night too. Just don't take the elevator.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I like the western tux style that you describe but then, I'm also from a rural area and have a preference for casual dress. However, when my dad considered wearing a jacket and string tie for the formal night, I did suggest that he wear a dark suit and tie instead and then wear the western style outfit on the smart-casual nights.

I love the western look! When we're on vacation in Wyoming, and go out to a nice dinner, jeans and a western shirt are pretty dressy. For a formal event, why not wear a western tuxedo (and get a pic with the cowboy hat on!). It's a great look.

The Western Tuxedo pictured on those websites are wonderful. I say tell hubby to wear it and wear it proudly!

I think it's funny that people offer enthusiastic encouragement to cruisers from other cultures to wear ethnic attire but don't feel the same about people from their own country. I think it's important that we all acknowledge the rich heritage and diversity of cultures that made this country what it is. What makes a sari(?) or a kilt any more acceptable than a tuxedo that is embellished and accessorized with elements that pay homage to the Spanish and Mexican influences that are seen throughout the great state of Texas?

My favorite formal ensamble was on a Family from Scotland. The father and son were both in kilts, jacket, sporran, hose, etc. Let the cowboy dress as he wants. I love to see the different outfits!

Archived