Where to stay?

Appletonmom

In feb, We are headed to Miami 2 nights prior to our first disney cruise. We have 3 kids ages 4, 3 and 9 months! We wanted beach, any recs on where to stay? I prefer 4 starish resorts. Is Miami beach too far from port? We can stay right on beach there, but would that be hassle? Would love advice from the experts out there! Open to ideas.

In feb, We are headed to Miami 2 nights prior to our first disney cruise. We have 3 kids ages 4, 3 and 9 months! We wanted beach, any recs on where to stay? I prefer 4 starish resorts. Is Miami beach too far from port? We can stay right on beach there, but would that be hassle? Would love advice from the experts out there! Open to ideas.

You may want to look at the Florida boards here to post this question...BTW, Miami Beach is a bit far from the port, but you will find other choices if you post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Big Al

We're leaving out of Miami in April on the Wonder! So far, our best option is to stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before and to drive to the port on sail away day. We've decided to go ahead and just leave our car at the port and pay rather than use a service. Hope this helps a bit!

Oh! We're driving, lol. We live in Tennessee and we're actually leaving town on friday, two days before cruise, after work and traveling to Valdosta. We're going to finish the trip on saturday before heading to Miami on Sunday for sail away. We're so used to Port Canaveral, and are really slightly uncomfortable with Miami as a port.

Start looking at potential hotels in your desired area for price and availability. I was horrified but not surprised by prices in the area. We're traveling late March which may be the issue, but lots of places were booked a month ago unless I wanted to pay insane prices. We're staying west of MIA.

Start looking at potential hotels in your desired area for price and availability. I was horrified but not surprised by prices in the area. We're traveling late March which may be the issue, but lots of places were booked a month ago unless I wanted to pay insane prices. We're staying west of MIA.

It IS the issue thanks to Spring Break, which is usually March- April 15..prices are higher everywhere...good idea to stay out of Miami Beach/ port/ South Beach, etc...

Big Al

We had the same problem in December. I looked super early but didn't book. When I did book, we had very little choice left.

Things to consider, hotels close to the airport might have a free shuttle from airport and pay shuttle to port. Hotels close to port may have the opposite. You should factor this in when looking at prices especially if you have limited choices.

Airport to port area is about 25$ taxi. We stayed at the Marriott as it was one of the only hotels available. The front desk told us for three people it would likely be cheaper for us to take a taxi rather than the hotel shuttle 10$ per person. We took the shuttle just because it was leaving just as we were ready to go to the port.

Going home we took a shuttle for 25$ to the airport for three. This was worth while as we were at the furthest terminal at the port and Air Canada is the far end of the terminal at the airport. I expect the taxi would have gone over 25$. For more than three a taxi would have been the best deal.

I found that a lot of the hotel booking site have good maps and show you what is close to what areas. It seems nothing in Miami is too far from the port or airport.

Fort Lauderdale is the other option. You can sometimes get cheaper flights to Fort Lauderdale and it's not too far to the port of Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD