Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

While in Warnemunde we want to spend the day visiting quaint towns within 1-2 hrs of Warnemunde to get the true flavor of Germany. We enjoy walking around, possibly taking a self-guided walking tour, stop in a cafe for a coffee, enjoy the local architecture & people, pop in a boutique or local craftsman shop, have a stein in a beer garden, and enjoy a true German meal. Anyone have suggestions for which town(s) to visit besides Rostock? Thanks

There are several towns which will 'fill your bill' for a day out from Warnemünde. For details and directions on how to get there please see my web site (address below) or browse this thread. On several other threads questions have been answered and/or visitors have given their experiences, try any thread with Rostock, Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund or Lübeck in the title.

If you have more specific questions on any of these towns please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Doing a Baltic cruise soon that goes to Warnemunde, and I'll be going to Berlin. I contacted City Discovery, and they say I can only do their hop-on-hop-off buses by signing up online. But I'd like to look for a bus there and buy the ticket right then and there. Not sure until I get there if I want to do that or not. So Anni do you know if there are any other companies with HOHO buses that you can book right there? Seems like on previous trips I was able to do that in other cities.

Doing a Baltic cruise soon that goes to Warnemunde, and I'll be going to Berlin. I contacted City Discovery, and they say I can only do their hop-on-hop-off buses by signing up online. But I'd like to look for a bus there and buy the ticket right then and there. Not sure until I get there if I want to do that or not. So Anni do you know if there are any other companies with HOHO buses that you can book right there? Seems like on previous trips I was able to do that in other cities.

Hi, there are several companies which do hop-on-hop-off but this is, in my opinion, not the most time-effective way to get around as they do not run very frequently and often the route between the places you want to see is not direct, which wastes time. Most have a stop right outside the main train station (Berlin Hbf) and you can buy a ticket on the spot. Try City Tours in your search engine.

The public transport service is a better way to get around as you can plan more direct routes; it is more versatile, you can use buses, trams, s-bahn and u-bahn; the cost is a lot less €6.70 for a day ticket as opposed to around €20 and the services more frequent. Double decker buses #100 and #200 cover most of the tourist spots. Of course there is no commentary but on some of the Ho-Ho's that is not very good either.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you intend to travel to Berlin?

Anni

www.travelanni.webs/com

Edited by Travelanni

Hello Anni, can you please tell me if you know of any tour companies that go to Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund, and Rostock?:rolleyes:

Hi, most people do these cities DIY as they are all so easy. For information on how to do this see my web site.

Ships companies do tours but they are usually short and expensive.

'Friends of Dave' do full day tours of Schwerin/ Wismar and shorter tours of Rostock/Warnemünde using public transport. I do not have any personal experience of them but they get very good reviews. There may be others but I do not have any information on them, sorry.

I do not know of anyone going to Stralsund but it is very easy to DIY.

Maybe other cruisers could help with their experiences!

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, most people do these cities DIY as they are all so easy. For information on how to do this see my web site.

Ships companies do tours but they are usually short and expensive.

'Friends of Dave' do full day tours of Schwerin/ Wismar and shorter tours of Rostock/Warnemünde using public transport. I do not have any personal experience of them but they get very good reviews. There may be others but I do not have any information on them, sorry.

I do not know of anyone going to Stralsund but it is very easy to DIY.

Maybe other cruisers could help with their experiences!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank You so much, you have been very helpful;)

Anni

I just realized that we are in Warnemunde on a Sunday. As we are Catholic, we would like at find a Catholic church to attend Mass either there, or Rostock, as we plan to go there as well. Would you possibly know if there is a church close to where we could walk, and what time services might be??

Thanks,

Lynette

Anni

I just realized that we are in Warnemunde on a Sunday. As we are Catholic, we would like at find a Catholic church to attend Mass either there, or Rostock, as we plan to go there as well. Would you possibly know if there is a church close to where we could walk, and what time services might be??

Thanks,

Lynette

Hi Lynette, there is no Catholic church in Warnemünde but two in Rostock. The Christus-Kirche is quite near to the main station. It is about a 10-15 min walk but you could also take a tram, your train ticket covers this.

Services are:- 9am Mass and 10.30am Family Worship.

To walk - from the main, northern or city, entrance to the station turn left into Goethe Strasse. When you reach Goethe Platz cross over the dual carriageway, there is a convenient crossing with lights, turn left and almost immediately on the right you will find a pedestrian lane leading into a street called Borenweg. The church is on Häktweg, second street on the right. I think it is signposted.

By tram - from the train take the stairs down two levels to tram platform B. NOT the side marked City, this would take you in the wrong direction. Take tram #4 and get off at Goethe Platz. From there follow the directions above to walk to the church.

From the church it is an easy walk into the city. Go back to main road, cross over, turn left and follow the main road until you see the Kröpeliner Tor (high red brick tower) on your right. This is the start of the pedestrian area of the city.

Attached is a bit of interesting information about the Church and its predecessor. The memorial mentioned in the last sentence can be found on the left-hand side of the pedestrian square in front of the Kröpeliner Tor, under the chestnut trees.

To me, the Christus Kirche, though modern, has a lovely feeling of tranquility. I hope you enjoy the service as much as I used to. If it is still the same priest, he speaks English very well.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Church of Christ en.doc

Anni

Thank you SO MUCH for the info on the church and Mass times. I'm sure we can make the 10:30 in Rostock. We enjoy going to Mass in the foreign countries we travel to. We've been in Spain, Italy and Germany. It is just like attending Mass in Latin as we did in our youth, pre-Vatican II. Your directions should help us walk right to it!!

I couldn't open the attachment.... we don't have Microsoft Office, but that tis okay. We will look around when we are there.

Thank you again for your info

Lynette

Anni

Thank you SO MUCH for the info on the church and Mass times. I'm sure we can make the 10:30 in Rostock. We enjoy going to Mass in the foreign countries we travel to. We've been in Spain, Italy and Germany. It is just like attending Mass in Latin as we did in our youth, pre-Vatican II. Your directions should help us walk right to it!!

I couldn't open the attachment.... we don't have Microsoft Office, but that tis okay. We will look around when we are there.

Thank you again for your info

Lynette

Hi Lynette, thank you for your appreciation.

Sorry about the attachment. I have tried again with it in plain text format. Hope you can now open it.

Anni

Church of Christ en.txt

Hi Lynette, thank you for your appreciation.

Sorry about the attachment. I have tried again with it in plain text format. Hope you can now open it.

Anni

Just in case the new attachment doesn't work for them I have attached the file in pdf format. Not meaning to butt in but have been lurking on the thread as I will be traveling to the Baltic in 2015. Anyway, hope this helps if she is unable to open the new attachment Anni provided.

Anni, you are a wealth of knowledge. If I have any questions when I get closer to sail date I will be sure to ask for advice here.

Church of Christ en.pdf

Anni

Thank you for your trouble. YES I was able to download the information. You are too kind. I really appreciate all your help!

John

It is ok to lurk! Thank you for trying to help. I was able to get Anni's 2nd file but thank you anyway. Enjoy your trip and Anni is MOST helpful.

Lynette

Thanks to both of you for your appreciation.

John, not 'butting in' at all. That is what this forum is all about - helping each other enjoy our cruises. Even though Lynette could open my file I'm sure someone else found your format useful. I knew pdf was the way to go but have neither the software nor the tech know-how to do it. Carry on 'lurking' and, when you are ready, your questions will be most welcome.

Lynette, glad you could open the file. I hope that knowing a little of the church's history adds to your pleasure.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

It seems like that the track repairs that we have talked about is finished.

The fastest connections is now the ICE that takes the trip in just under 2 hours.

There is only missing the 7 kilometres between Nassenheide and Oranienburg that will be done in 2016.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/track/db-accelerates-berlin-%E2%80%93-rostock-services-following-track-upgrading.html?channel=542

It seems like that the track repairs that we have talked about is finished.

The fastest connections is now the ICE that takes the trip in just under 2 hours.

There is only missing the 7 kilometres between Nassenheide and Oranienburg that will be done in 2016.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/track/db-accelerates-berlin-%E2%80%93-rostock-services-following-track-upgrading.html?channel=542

This sounds like great news - until you look at the timetable!

Weekdays - one ICE in each direction. Dep Rostock 6:33. Dep Berlin 17:24.

Saturday - one ICE to Berlin. Dep Rostock 8:33 Nothing from Berlin.

Sunday - one ICE to Rostock. Dep Berlin 19:24. Nothing from Rostock.

Insider information is that there is very little chance of more ICE trains. The present weekday service was designed for the business commuter and there is not enough demand for express trains at any other time of day as the majority of passengers are not travelling from Rostock but from the intermediate stations .

There is a possibility that an IC service (more stops than an ICE but slightly faster than an RE) will be introduced in the future when the upgrades are finally completed. We shall see!

So that still leaves the RE, travel time 2hrs 38mins, as the only real possibility for cruise ship passengers although the timetable does not mesh very well with the arrival and departure times of most ships.

Edited by Travelanni

Travelanni,

Thanks so much for all your valuable information. After reading your posts and website we purchased the Mecklenburg - Vorpommern Länder Ticket for our July 8th stop. We will be on the Holland America Rotterdam docking in Warnemunde. We have decided to visit Schwerin and Wismar. Where do I find the train's timetables? (I'm sure you mentioned it but I can't seem to find it.) Thanks.

Also, how often does the local train run from Warnemunde to Rostock? I know we will have to purchase a separate ticket to get there before using the Lander ticket?

Thanks again.

Travelanni,

Thanks so much for all your valuable information. After reading your posts and website we purchased the Mecklenburg - Vorpommern Länder Ticket for our July 8th stop. We will be on the Holland America Rotterdam docking in Warnemunde. We have decided to visit Schwerin and Wismar. Where do I find the train's timetables? (I'm sure you mentioned it but I can't seem to find it.) Thanks.

Also, how often does the local train run from Warnemunde to Rostock? I know we will have to purchase a separate ticket to get there before using the Lander ticket?

Thanks again.

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

Train timetables in English can be found at

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

However, I have listed the times of the trains between Rostock-Schwerin and Wismar-Rostock on the appropriate pages of my web site. Between Schwerin and Wismar there is an hourly service departing Schwerin Hbf at 46 mins past the hour. The service Wismar to Schwerin is hourly but slightly more erratic, you would need to look up the exact times but most people find that the best use of the available time is to travel Rostock-Schwerin-Wismar-Rostock.

Trains between Warnemünde and Rostock run every 7 or 8 mins up to 7:48, every 15 mins after 8:03. You only need to puchase a separate ticket for the part of the journey before 9:00.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks Travelanni, one more question--if we are in port from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., could we also squeeze in a stop in Bad Domeran (in addition to Wismar and Schwerin)? Or is that putting too much on the itinerary for one day?

This is a totally unrelated travel or cruise question but I was wondering if you can help. My dad was stationed years ago (back in the 70s) in Bamberg. While there he drank a particular type of beer that he loved. I've been searching the internet and even asked 'Siri' but I can't find it. I know I'm spelling it wrong probably even pronouncing it wrong but it's called "cumebakka." That's how I would spell it at least. Maybe if I attempt phonetically..."que-umm-bakka." He said it was cheap and strong. I would love to surprise him with a case. Any information or ideas to what the actual name might be would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks Travelanni, one more question--if we are in port from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., could we also squeeze in a stop in Bad Domeran (in addition to Wismar and Schwerin)? Or is that putting too much on the itinerary for one day?

Hi, given your time in port you could squeeze in a visit to Bad Doberan but I would not advise it for a couple or reasons. The earliest you can hope to arrive in Schwerin 10:03 and you need at least 3 hours in each for Schwerin and Wismar. Taking into account the time taken to travel between the two and to return to Warnemünde for on-board (which I am presuming to be 9:30pm) that is around 8 hours. Although there is very little in Bad Doberan itself except for the Molli and the Minster, one hour would not be enough - barely giving enough time to walk to and from the station. There would not be enough time to experience the Molli and the Minster closes at 6pm.

In my opinion it would be better concentrate on Schwerin and Wismar, getting back with a little time in hand to have a stroll around Warnemünde where everything is still open and you are within 5mins walk back to the ship.

Anni

This is a totally unrelated travel or cruise question but I was wondering if you can help. My dad was stationed years ago (back in the 70s) in Bamberg. While there he drank a particular type of beer that he loved. I've been searching the internet and even asked 'Siri' but I can't find it. I know I'm spelling it wrong probably even pronouncing it wrong but it's called "cumebakka." That's how I would spell it at least. Maybe if I attempt phonetically..."que-umm-bakka." He said it was cheap and strong. I would love to surprise him with a case. Any information or ideas to what the actual name might be would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi' date=' Going by where he was stationed, I think the beer which your father enjoyed so much came from the Kulmbacher Brewery in Southern Bavaria.

They produce dozens of different beers, some of which are even available in the US and some which are only available in the local area of the brewery.

I am sure that you would be able to get Kulmbacher in NE Germany though not the whole range.

You can read more about the different Kulmbacher beers at

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/kulmbacher-kommunbrau/6922/

maybe your father can recognise the name of the one he liked.

Hope you find it, :)

Anni[/size']

Hi, Going by where he was stationed, I think the beer which your father enjoyed so much came from the Kulmbacher Brewery in Southern Bavaria.

They produce dozens of different beers, some of which are even available in the US and some which are only available in the local area of the brewery.

I am sure that you would be able to get Kulmbacher in NE Germany though not the whole range.

You can read more about the different Kulmbacher beers at

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/kulmbacher-kommunbrau/6922/

maybe your father can recognise the name of the one he liked.

Hope you find it, :)

Anni

That's it that's it! Thank you so much. I was totally off with the spelling no wonder I couldn't find it. My dad going to be happy and drunk lol. Thanks again!

Sent from my LG-P659 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Travelanni,

Thank you so much for all the detailed information on your website about how to visit Schwerin from Warnemunde. My mother and I had a great day because of your detailed directions explaining everything from buying the Lander ticket to how to get from the Schwerin train station to the historic part of town.

We loved our day in Schwerin, thanks!

Thanks,

Travel Girl TX and her mama

Travelanni,

Thank you so much for all the detailed information on your website about how to visit Schwerin from Warnemunde. My mother and I had a great day because of your detailed directions explaining everything from buying the Lander ticket to how to get from the Schwerin train station to the historic part of town.

We loved our day in Schwerin, thanks!

Thanks,

Travel Girl TX and her mama

Thank you so much for your appreciation. I love this area of Germany and it gives me the greatest pleasure to help other people get the most out of their visit so it is a great thrill to get feedback from someone who enjoyed themselves as much as you and your mother so obviously did. It makes all the time and effort spent on the website and this forum very much worthwhile.

Kind regards :)

Anni