2013 Christmas Cruise on Royal Princess - A Photo Review!

LittleMissMagic

It is 90 seconds! The ND filter brought the exposure down three stops which allowed me to make longer exposures. I used an ND filter because I wanted to get as many firework explosions as possible in the shot. I set the shutter speed to bulb and used the remote to click along with the music. With the music, you can kind of tell when the fireworks are going to explode, so I just released the shutter where I felt it was musically appropriate. Towards the end of the show, you can't leave the shutter open as long because there are more fireworks happening and the sky is brighter.

OK. That makes sense. I just thought 90 seconds would have too many fireworks, but apparently not. The shots are amazing.

I have loved reading your report on the Royal Princess which we will be on the 19th...soon now. WooHoo. I loved your photos. Wow you could teach me a few things. I do photography as a hobby and have much to learn. My hubby bought me a Nikon D7000 for Christmas and I love it but still have a lot to learn. The fast shutter speed is amazing. Here is my question for you. I have a friend who ruined her good camera taking it to the beach because of the sea spray. I am so hesitant to take mine with me on our cruise as I surely do NOT want to take any chances of it getting messed up. I had thought I could at least take pics of the ship with it. What do you think? Were you worried about ruining your camera with the sea spray? When we go to Orient Beach, we take a small spray bottle filled with water just to clean our glasses regularly from the spray so I know it exists. This happens every time we are at Orient. Thank you for your reponse. I loved your photos also of the fireworks at Disney. Wow and great job. :)

What an amazing review and wonderful photos, thank you so much! My partner and I are actually considering a cruise on the Royal Princess - he doesn’t know this yet but we are ;-) – and your review helped in so many ways. We are elite on Celebrity but since we’ve been on all of the Millennium class and most of the Solstice class were looking to try something new but with the same vibe. We’re also limited to a 7 day cruise this Spring so the Royal just seems to be a great getaway for a beach/relaxation focused vacation.

I also have to tell you that as I read on it got a little spoooooky. We live in Atlanta and also have annual passes to Disney. We were also there in October and stayed at the Yacht Club (I believe from your photos you were at the Beach Club). AND when we go at Christmas with my parents we stay at Bonnet Creek for the same reason you did. :-0 Quick question – did they have the chocolate buffet at the Waldorf this year? That’s something I always look forward to. This was the first year we weren’t able to go and I think I missed that the most – well maybe that and a 100 other things. We’ll be back at Disney in June and also October but are staying on property instead of the Waldorf. We’re buying someone’s Disney Vacation Club points and staying at Bay Lake Tower in June and the Grand Floridian Villas in October, well the official name is The Villas at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa but who has time for that – phew! If you haven’t done that it’s something to think about as we’ve found buying the points cost about half as much as booking a regular room and you get the option of a studio, 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom. Example – Our lake view studio at the Grand Floridian Villas in October is only costing us $315/night. You have to book early though as the good dates book up at least 7 months out. Just Google “buying Disney points” or “David’s Disney” and you’ll get lots of results. David’s Disney has a great points calculator that will show you exactly the points needed and cost for the dates you want to go.

Have you thought about a Disney Cruise? We have but dang they are just sooooo expensive! And you may have answered this question in your review so I apologize if I missed it but do you all have any cruises planned in the future? I hope so just so we can read your review and see the photos. Are there any lines that you haven’t been on that you would like to try? How did you find the food and layout at the Horizon Court? Ok I’ll stop now haha.

Thanks so much again!

Todd & Troy

I have loved reading your report on the Royal Princess which we will be on the 19th...soon now. WooHoo. I loved your photos. Wow you could teach me a few things. I do photography as a hobby and have much to learn. My hubby bought me a Nikon D7000 for Christmas and I love it but still have a lot to learn. The fast shutter speed is amazing. Here is my question for you. I have a friend who ruined her good camera taking it to the beach because of the sea spray. I am so hesitant to take mine with me on our cruise as I surely do NOT want to take any chances of it getting messed up. I had thought I could at least take pics of the ship with it. What do you think? Were you worried about ruining your camera with the sea spray? When we go to Orient Beach, we take a small spray bottle filled with water just to clean our glasses regularly from the spray so I know it exists. This happens every time we are at Orient. Thank you for your reponse. I loved your photos also of the fireworks at Disney. Wow and great job. :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that at all. New cameras are built to keep water out. While saltwater can be bad for your camera, unless you're waist deep in the water taking photos, there's not much to worry about (Bryan Peterson recommended a cleaning method for saltwater in one of his books... I can't remember which). Just put it in a properly padded bag when you're finished.

The way that I view my cameras is that I purchased them so that I could take photos. If I don't have the camera with me, I can't use it. So the way that I see it is that I can leave my camera behind and be thinking about all of the great shots that I could've gotten, or I can bring my camera with me and risk possibly damaging it. I'd rather take the risk. I trust myself. I took my DSLR with me on all rides at Disney World and held it in my hands (not in a bag) at all times.

It's a completely personal decision, though. Some would rather not put their camera in risky situations, and that's completely fine, as well. Look to other options like all-weather point and shoots or the good ol' iphone.

What an amazing review and wonderful photos, thank you so much! My partner and I are actually considering a cruise on the Royal Princess - he doesn’t know this yet but we are ;-) – and your review helped in so many ways. We are elite on Celebrity but since we’ve been on all of the Millennium class and most of the Solstice class were looking to try something new but with the same vibe. We’re also limited to a 7 day cruise this Spring so the Royal just seems to be a great getaway for a beach/relaxation focused vacation.

I also have to tell you that as I read on it got a little spoooooky. We live in Atlanta and also have annual passes to Disney. We were also there in October and stayed at the Yacht Club (I believe from your photos you were at the Beach Club). AND when we go at Christmas with my parents we stay at Bonnet Creek for the same reason you did. :-0 Quick question – did they have the chocolate buffet at the Waldorf this year? That’s something I always look forward to. This was the first year we weren’t able to go and I think I missed that the most – well maybe that and a 100 other things. We’ll be back at Disney in June and also October but are staying on property instead of the Waldorf. We’re buying someone’s Disney Vacation Club points and staying at Bay Lake Tower in June and the Grand Floridian Villas in October, well the official name is The Villas at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa but who has time for that – phew! If you haven’t done that it’s something to think about as we’ve found buying the points cost about half as much as booking a regular room and you get the option of a studio, 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom. Example – Our lake view studio at the Grand Floridian Villas in October is only costing us $315/night. You have to book early though as the good dates book up at least 7 months out. Just Google “buying Disney points” or “David’s Disney” and you’ll get lots of results. David’s Disney has a great points calculator that will show you exactly the points needed and cost for the dates you want to go.

Have you thought about a Disney Cruise? We have but dang they are just sooooo expensive! And you may have answered this question in your review so I apologize if I missed it but do you all have any cruises planned in the future? I hope so just so we can read your review and see the photos. Are there any lines that you haven’t been on that you would like to try? How did you find the food and layout at the Horizon Court? Ok I’ll stop now haha.

Thanks so much again!

Todd & Troy

Wow, it sounds like we've probably been in the same place at the same time maybe a few times, now!

We did stay at the Beach Club this October. I have no idea about the chocolate buffet. I remember possibly seeing some signage, but I didn't go to it. We actually rented points when we went to Disney in October two years ago so that we could stay in a two-bedroom at Saratoga Springs. But when we're just traveling as a family, we prefer the deluxe hotel rooms so that we can each have two queen beds. I've slept on the sofa bed at Bay Lake Tower, and it was not comfortable! The Villas at the Grand Floridian are beautiful, though (the units themselves.... do not get me started on the boxy, out-of-scale exterior and fake dormers).

We've actually been longing to do a Disney Cruise for a long time, and we're planning on sailing the Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean on May 10 to celebrate my graduation from Clemson. I was originally planning on Vegas for spring break, but I've been checking out cruises, too - we'll see what happens there!

I've sailed Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, Carnival, and Disney. We've considered some Celebrity itineraries before. The ports of call and itineraries that are actually the most interesting to me are on Holland America - I'm just a little worried to sail HAL because I've read on the boards that cruisers in their 40s, 50s, and 60s feel like they're younger than the typical demographic!

Horizon Court was a rather well-organized buffet. I didn't have any major complaints about it (and I really analyze the buffet layouts). It functioned much better than the Horizon Court on the Island Princess. We had some major problems on that ship because the way that Princess distributes utensils is to place them on the tables with napkins - but on our Island cruise, the turnover was so fast that you'd spot an empty table and sit down, but there would be no utensils. You'd have to wait until you saw a crew member so that you could ask and have them bring you utensils.

Victoria,

So glad you are sharing the WDW review with us, too. Double fun, yay! The pictures are great, and commentary, too!

I was surprised to see your post that the port called you about the pink duffle left behind. That's good to know!

Oh - you mentioned you might cruise on Disney this year. They'll introduce families when when you step on to the ship... some families on my Disney Magic cruise came up with funny alias for them to announce. We loved our Disney cruise.

Edited by slc22

After the New Year's Eve (Eve) Fireworks, we went back to the Waldorf.

The Waldorf does weird things. They do this elaborate turndown service with chocolates, slippers set on a towel in between the beds, and the television set to jazz music. But then they would forget to replace our towels or empty the ice bucket.

December 31, 2013 - Hollywood Studios + Epcot

We went to Disney's Hollywood Studios around 10AM. I had made all of our FP+ reservations for that morning and afternoon. As soon as we arrived, we immediately rode the Tower of Terror (my favorite), and we also had FP+ for Toy Story Mania and Rockin' Rollercoaster. You can no longer do this. I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in because I booked far enough in advance, but now you can only make a FP+ for either Toy Story Mania or Rockin' Rollercoaster, but not both in the same day. Kind of a setback.

We ate lunch at Pizza Planet. It's been a while since we've done that!

11877185535_93fda21bb9_b.jpg

12.31.13 by vshingl, on Flickr

11878034206_23e1cceaed_b.jpg

Later that evening, we watched Beauty and the Beast Live On Stage. If I were to recommend one show in Hollywood Studios that you should definitely see, it would be that one. The costuming and set is Broadway-quality, and the music is one of the best Disney soundtracks. I'm sad to hear rumors that the show is speculated to be replaced with a Tangled musical.

11878033626_c88f596d42_b.jpg

I didn't have the correct lens for great photos with me, but if you'd like to see more of Beauty and the Beast Live On Stage, check out this Flickr album.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

11878033396_7a613a6b04_b.jpg

Rachel and I did more shopping today and bought new, sparkly Minnie ears for New Year's.

11877477663_5a2effc4ab_b.jpg

11877477303_b153f17160_b.jpg

I was super excited and surprised to find that Comedy Warehouse was doing a holiday show at Hollywood Studios. Those of you long time Disney-goers may remember that Comedy Warehouse existed in Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney which shut down years ago. Well, they were back for a family-friendly Christmas improv show, and it was absolutely hilarious. I do hope that Disney does more with this group in the future!

11878030746_4109734a04_b.jpg

11877632364_f3f1566038_b.jpg

We were waiting for our dinner reservations at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, so we decided to go ahead and start the party.

11877476543_21b0a784ee_b.jpg

The party in front of the Sorcerer's Hat kicked off at 6 PM with DJ Elliott. It was really fun, especially when he started blending Disney songs and beats with today's popular music. I recommend Hollywood Studios as a good place for the entire family to celebrate New Year's Eve. There are drinks for the adults, but it's still a good family atmosphere for the kids.

11877177965_b987428616_b.jpg

11878029586_b6428d1b21_b.jpg

If you've never eaten at Sci-Fi, it's a cute restaurant themed as a drive-in theater. It's also probably the quietest restaurant at Walt Disney World because people really don't talk and just watch the television screen. The food is good, but it's a little difficult to see what you're eating in the dark.

11877623914_a38b745c07_b.jpg

11878028716_3efd2c76b1_b.jpg

December 31, 2013 - Hollywood Studios + Epcot

Hi Victoria, like everyone else I'm loving your review! You do a Fantastic job with your camera! While you were at HollyWood Studios this year did you see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights? I've heard that you really have to be there to take it all in and that YouTube videos don't do it justice. Or have you seen them in prior trips?

Hi Victoria, like everyone else I'm loving your review! You do a Fantastic job with your camera! While you were at HollyWood Studios this year did you see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights? I've heard that you really have to be there to take it all in and that YouTube videos don't do it justice. Or have you seen them in prior trips?

You just anticipated the next installment of my trip report! :)

After dinner, we went to see the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

The history of these extravagant Christmas lights is very unique. Jennings Osborne of Arkansas began putting up lights for his daughter in 1986, and the display grew and grew each year. In 1993, the lights ran for 35 days from about sunset to midnight, and his neighbors were not happy about it. Six neighbors filed a lawsuit against him due to the traffic congestion caused by the lights, and the court limited his display to 15 days to be lit only from 7:30 to 10 PM. Osborne appealed the Arkansas Supreme Court and lost, then in 1994 to the United States Supreme Court. In 1995, the Supreme Court shut the display down entirely.

The story caught the attention of Walt Disney World's project director, John Phelan, who contacted Osborne's attorney and suggested that they move the display to Orlando. In 1995, the display was set up on Residential Street on the then Disney-MGM Studios Backlot. In 2004, after the destruction of Residential Street, the display was moved to the Streets of America, and they also added artificial snow. In 2006, the lights were synchronized with music and became the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. And in 2011, the lights were swapped out the LED rope lights, and the canopy now has 21,600 pixels capable of 16 billion colors.

The display is made up of over 10 miles of rope lighting and 30 miles of extension cords. The lights remain still for about seven minutes before they "dance" to the music.

I summed up that information from a Wikipedia article, but the story of how the lights came to Disney and the process it takes to install them is really interesting. I read an interview with Jennings Osborne in an AllEars.Net weekly newsletter, where he talked about how he was surprised at the lights' success and that though he has over the years become less involved in the creative process, that he still has a great deal of say when it comes to the lights.

Like JanaJohn said, pictures and videos really can't do it justice. It's absolutely amazing.

11877173215_a07a7d5f8d_b.jpg

11877172825_6abe5d95b0_b.jpg

11877618834_650abcacf2_b.jpg

11877617074_fd0a4323ca_b.jpg

11877616634_21f2307f11_b.jpg

11877468403_0a8fe53697_b.jpg

The lights typically run from the first week of November to the first week of January. This year, it was November 8 to January 5.

Terrific. In November we are doing a repo from Cape Liberty to Port Canaveral on the Explorer as she makes way for the Quantum.

I showed your posts on the WDW lights to DW and she said WOW!!

After the New Year's Eve (Eve) Fireworks, we went back to the Waldorf.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Later that evening, we watched Beauty and the Beast Live On Stage. If I were to recommend one show in Hollywood Studios that you should definitely see, it would be that one. The costuming and set is Broadway-quality, and the music is one of the best Disney soundtracks. I'm sad to hear rumors that the show is speculated to be replaced with a Tangled musical.

I didn't have the correct lens for great photos with me, but if you'd like to see more of Beauty and the Beast Live On Stage, check out this Flickr album.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I stick with my brace of Lumix superzoom cameras FZ150 and FZ70. These are non-DSLR cameras which are extremely high end with features many DSLRs don't have, and immense zoom ratios of 60 to 1 or 24 to 1 optical (96 to 1 optical/digital for sunny days)

Edited by The Big Booper

Which lens would you have wanted?

edit: Oh, I see. The album was from 2012. You got some great shots with the 110mm zoom

Edited by Cruzin-K

And that, in a nutshell, is why I stick with my brace of Lumix superzoom cameras FZ150 and FZ70. These are non-DSLR cameras which are extremely high end with features many DSLRs don't have, and immense zoom ratios of 60 to 1 or 24 to 1 optical (96 to 1 optical/digital for sunny days)

The Lumix is a great camera, and I know a lot of people who enjoy it. For me, I'd rather carry around the extra baggage. I didn't go to DHS to photograph Beauty and the Beast, so I intentionally left behind the lens I would have wanted. I've had many opportunities to photograph this show and will have a few more in the future. Sometimes it's good to just put the camera down and enjoy the show! :D

Which lens would you have wanted?

edit: Oh, I see. The album was from 2012. You got some great shots with the 110mm zoom

I would've wanted a longer focal length. I do intend to purchase a longer focal length lens for situations like this, but we walked in maybe ten minutes before the show, so the seats weren't ideal for photography, either.

I tried to plan out the time that I would spend behind a viewfinder. I brought my tripod to Magic Kingdom and spent two hours staking out the exact fireworks location that I wanted on January 30 so that I could leave some gear behind and just enjoy being with my family to ring in the New Year.

Edited by LittleMissMagic