Cooler "test"

Mrs.C05

Hey everyone! The last time we took a cooler on, it was collapsible, and we had it in our checked bag. Well, it was a cheapy, and ended up tearing so we left it behind on our last cruise. Well this time I bought an Igloo Hard Liner Cooler, 12liter, that is 12.125 x 10 x 6......my measuring tape seriously is right at 12 inches (and I'd used several different ones). I'm reading post of people having to leave their coolers behind because of how strict Port Canaveral is.

Can I put it in a small carry-on suit case or will they see it and pull it anyways? I could smoosh the top of the cooler down some ;-) but don't know how anal they'll be......

Any insight would be helpful! Our cruise is next Thursday and I need a hard lined cooler for my sons milk we're taking on.

If you put it in a large duffel bag, empty, or filled with clothing or other items so long as they are not liquid, then check the duffel through the orters with your other luggage, not through the carry-on security line, you'll most likely get it through. But I thought the restriction was for a 12x12 size cooler and it sounds like yours is smaller.

I am carrying on my son's milk (3 1-pint Borden whole milks, un-refridgerated until opened) because I don't want to risk the carton getting poked, or anything to leak onto our clothes.

I guess I could fold up the cooler part, and check it in my luggage, and then carry the liner in my duffel with the milks in it, so I don't have to worry about them being picky of the size.

I thought all coolers, if being carried on, had to be 12x12x12? What do you mean 12x12? Does that mean I can ignore the height measurement of my cooler that is 12.125 ;) (according to igloo's website). My husband thinks once we get stuff in it, it'll squish the bottom down, to be the 12" maximum.

What do you mean 12x12 size (and mine sounds smaller?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

I think what they mean is that none of port security is going to bring out a tape measure over 0.125 of an inch. I doubt they'll notice it at all because all of the other dimensions are smaller than 12in. Relax and enjoy your cruise :cool:

They brought out a tape measure for our cooler… it was 1/2 inch taller than it should have been…. took quite some convincing and checking with a "supervisor" to finally agree to let us take ours...

They brought out a tape measure for our cooler… it was 1/2 inch taller than it should have been…. took quite some convincing and checking with a "supervisor" to finally agree to let us take ours...

1/2 an inch taller is a lot closer to 13in. than 1/8 of an inch is. Unless they're already measuring everyone's coolers that come through for spite, there is no way they're going to "eyeball" it and say, "It's an 1/8 of an inch too tall." OP, if you're still worried about it, then do as you've said and take the insert out and collapse it. There's nothing anyone can say then.

Edited by cruise_gal21

Whole milk is readily available on the ship at all times. I would just order it through room service or pick up several cartons from the buffet when needed.

I think your cooler will be fine though.

Ok, the last time we took my son on a cruise and needed whole milk, we never saw it in the buffet. We only saw chocolate milk and 2%, so we assumed they didn't have whole milk. I don't know why I didn't think of asking. We gave him 2% the entire cruise, and he had horrible diarrhea. We'd rather be safe and carry on the whole milk. Not saying I don't trust y'all, but since we already have it, might as well take it to be safe.

1/2 an inch taller is a lot closer to 13in. than 1/8 of an inch is. Unless they're already measuring everyone's coolers that come through for spite, there is no way they're going to "eyeball" it and say, "It's an 1/8 of an inch too tall." OP, if you're still worried about it, then do as you've said and take the insert out and collapse it. There's nothing anyone can say then.

We were at a different port but our cooler was 1/4 inch to high - they refused to let it thru but a guy in anoter line had one of the big coleman's used for surf fishing - his security person let him thru! Never again, cooler goes in checked bags!

Can they really eyeball it and see that cooler is a hair over 12 inches tall?

(Thankfully putting the milks in it already, to squish the bottom down some, I can see that it is now shorter than 12inches tall) :D

I just hope my sisters makes it on.

Edited by Mrs.C05